McCulloch 10-10 opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I purchase this saw?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

up42long3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings all! First post to this site. Wonderful site. Thanks for all the info.

My question is regarding a “10-10” that I am looking at. Seller is asking $95. The picture is not so good. Just looking for opinions and if anyone can tell me more about the saw. For example, can you tell which 10-10 it is from the picture. Is the saw worth getting, etc.

thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• E5FE33D5-9F7D-4A4A-BDB4-B95CAB5121A0.png
    E5FE33D5-9F7D-4A4A-BDB4-B95CAB5121A0.png
    4 MB · Views: 47
Looks newer than my late 60s 7-10 automatic. That thing was surpassing, as it started right up with some fresh fuel and a few pulls after sitting for years. It's a monster of a saw. Bulletproof metal construction and reliable internals. God only knows how many battles it's won.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looks to be a later model 10-10 rather than the 10-10 automatic. I would offer $75 if it runs. I've purchased some for lots less and I've sold some for lots more. It all depends on the need. The problem with having one 10-10 is that you're going to want another. I have one dedicated to cutting beams and another for bucking logs with an 18" bar and a couple others for spares. They will pull a 20" bar alright but I have a couple of 7-10's for that and bigger bars plus a variety of other McCulloch saws to work with.

Have a 1010 super that I like for 18-20" bar. I think $95 may ne a little steep for that one. It looks beat up a bit.
Have a PM700 that I love for bucking hardwood. Pulls a 28" bar with no problems.
These saws arent screamers. There are faster saws, but they have tons of torque. Cant stall them down no matter how sappy or hard the wood is. Mine have always been reliable too, but I keep them cleaned out and chains and bars in good shape.

That’s real rough. Maybe it’s the picture and my eyes but it looks like corrugated cardboard instead of a muffler. Big question is if it runs. I wouldn’t pay $100 for it in that condition unless I was in McCulloch mode...which does come around often. The PRo MAC 10-10 is a great saw but unfortunately they’ve been hyped up real big so people think they have gold nuggets in their sheds. It could use a good cleaning no matter what but it all depends on what it’s worth to YOU. Best advice is really a used saw especially the older ones are only worth what one person is willing to pay and the other is willing to sell. I’d offer $50 for it

I think it might be what acresinternet site calls a "Pro 10-10A" which is the model between the 10-10A(utomatic) and the Pro Mac 10-10. That would put it in the 1975-1977 timeframe.

$95 is too much based on looks. I buy ones that look that crusty at auctions for <$10.

I've bought mint ones for $120. Billy Ray is single handily increasing the value of old macs.

This pretty much nailed it. I’ve got a nice PM 10-10s I paid $50 for. Didn’t even have a paint chip when I got it. They’re out there but most people find out and jack up the price

And now I’m wanting another McCulloch so I guess I’ll look around lol. Not many to be had though or not many go for sale around here. Especially at a fair price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave a "yes" vote, but only if can be bought for less.

Like many have said if it runs that looks like a $75 saw. I feel like every saw nut has to have at least one Mac. They are fun to run and make a beautiful sound that no other saw can duplicate.

Looks to be a later model 10-10 rather than the 10-10 automatic. I would offer $75 if it runs. I've purchased some for lots less and I've sold some for lots more. It all depends on the need. The problem with having one 10-10 is that you're going to want another. I have one dedicated to cutting beams and another for bucking logs with an 18" bar and a couple others for spares. They will pull a 20" bar alright but I have a couple of 7-10's for that and bigger bars plus a variety of other McCulloch saws to work with.
Seller claims it runs well. Not sure about the cosmetics in terms of how much is dirt vs compromised metal.

That’s real rough. Maybe it’s the picture and my eyes but it looks like corrugated cardboard instead of a muffler. Big question is if it runs. I wouldn’t pay $100 for it in that condition unless I was in McCulloch mode...which does come around often. The PRo MAC 10-10 is a great saw but unfortunately they’ve been hyped up real big so people think they have gold nuggets in their sheds. It could use a good cleaning no matter what but it all depends on what it’s worth to YOU. Best advice is really a used saw especially the older ones are only worth what one person is willing to pay and the other is willing to sell. I’d offer $50 for it
Cardboard for the muffler ;). Yes I agree. Pretty bad picture. Seller is 2-1/2hrs away so I can’t just pop over to see it. I’m asking for additional pictures.

Latest posts

Back