McCulloch 10-10 opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I purchase this saw?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cardboard for the muffler ;). Yes I agree. Pretty bad picture. Seller is 2-1/2hrs away so I can’t just pop over to see it. I’m asking for additional pictures.

I mean I hope it’s not but that’s what it looks like to me from the picture

That one indeed looks rough. I got a very nice Pro Mac 10-10 from an original owner that still had the original bar and chain on it for $100.

I have a 7-10 automatic that I gave $20 for a month or so ago. It had Sat outside in the rain for several years. Chain was rusted to the bar. Still had spark. Sprayed some penetrating oil in the recoil, fixed the fuel line, and took off the bar and chain. It started on the third pull. The old Macs are tough. Only way they die is if they get straight gassed or one of the wrist pin bearings grenades.
As for specs, a 1010 is 54 ccs. A 1010 super is 57 ccs.
A 7-10 a is 70 ccs.
Pro mac 700 is 70 ccs.

I have a 7-10 automatic that I gave $20 for a month or so ago. It had Sat outside in the rain for several years. Chain was rusted to the bar. Still had spark. Sprayed some penetrating oil in the recoil, fixed the fuel line, and took off the bar and chain. It started on the third pull. The old Macs are tough. Only way they die is if they get straight gassed or one of the wrist pin bearings grenades.
As for specs, a 1010 is 54 ccs. A 1010 super is 57 ccs.
A 7-10 a is 70 ccs.
Pro mac 700 is 70 ccs.

Very tough saws indeed. 1 of my 7-10s is an old forestry saw God knows what its been through in its 45 odd years but its probably my strongest. Unstoppable with a 20 inch bar

Metro, I think the one I have is an old pulp wooder. Beat pretty hard. Cracked magnesium on both sides of the air filter cover and on the bottom of the recoil housing. Got a new 20" Archer bar and Stihl chain on it. Runs strong. Put a new(used) fuel line on it, resealed the fuel tank(old cork gasket was weeping a little bit). Cleaned the gunk out of the oil tank(mostly condensation, turned the oil white and had lumps in it). It was oiling even with the garbage in the tank. This pic Still has the recoil housing from one of my donor 700s on it.
It's amazing how much abuse these things can take. Their robustness and simplicity probably helped put Mcculloch out of business.
As for weight, the 700 isnt much different to me to cut firewood for several hours a day than the 1010 is. The 700 is a bit different with the 28" Mac bar on it. I currently have the 18" bar that I got with the 700 on the 1010S. They are different than any of the newer anti vibe saws that you might have run, but the power kinda makes up for the cramps in the hands.
Also might add that tje Stihl MS290 that my dad has seems really heavy for the power it has. It is adequate for firewood use, but seems heavy compared to an 028S that I had, and the 028S didnt have a Picco chain on it. Also, I havent had to replace the recoil assembly and the oiler drive on the 028S or any of the Macs ive had. The MS290 has had all of the aforementioned repairs and still doesnt start or oil right. May have just been a lemon. Not judging, just passing on facts.

I got this one for free. It sat under a work bench in a machine shop for decades. At a glance it looked like it needed to be tossed in the dumpster. I should have taken before pics of it, you wouldn't have given $10 bucks for it.

The thick coating of grease, oil, dust, dirt and metal shavings saved it. Underneath was a saw in very good to excellent condition.

I added the rubber handle cover, longer bar, felling dog and a new chain. It runs flawlessly but so loud that double hearing protection is required. It has good power, decent "grunt", and has been dead solid reliable. The way it makes power and it's weight it would be very well suited to a 24" bar with a skip chain on it.....IMHO......Cliff

IMG_4406.JPG IMG_4402.JPG

Seller claims it runs well. Not sure about the cosmetics in terms of how much is dirt vs compromised metal.
Plenty of sheet metal available around. The worst problem is magnesium corrosion on the bottom from sitting on concrete. Check closely. If you buy it, be sure to tear it down and give it a good cleaning. Many owners get rid of these saws because they stop running when the culprit is sawdust and dirt. I've purchased several "non-running" saws that were just clogged with grime from lazy owners. One of my best buys was a Homelite Super 2 and a McCulloch 310 for $1 at an auction. Sold the Homey for $25 and still have the 310 for limbing and pallet cutting. A great 50 ct. saw.

I've had a couple of 10-10 saws over the years, both were great work horses. They don't bring more than $75 in minty condition around here.
That one looks like its been sitting in the mud or something, the muffler and cylinder has dirt or fine saw dust from a dull chain baked onto it.
Maybe a good parts saw but I don't think I'd gamble a long ride to find out.

How do ya like that 6-10? Hopefully 1 will show up around here someday oh and a sp81 oh and a 5400 and and and.....
It was a pretty nice saw, I would have held on to it had I not had so many saws at the time.

I had a SP81 this spring. Awesome saw but I sold it as well because I did not have time to do the needed repairs.

It was a pretty nice saw, I would have held on to it had I not had so many saws at the time.

I had a SP81 this spring. Awesome saw but I sold it as well because I did not have time to do the needed repairs.

Well better to go to someone who really wants it and has the time as apposed to it sitting around gathering dust so good on ya mate

Latest posts

Back