McCulloch 10 Series Oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No dumb questions. The oil pickup tube is molded like many Mac fuel and oil lines. To remove and replace it you have to work the small flange at the top end through the hole in the top of the oil tank, it can be a challange.

Mark

Well, I thought it would have to come out that way, but swear it doesn't look like it will fit through the hole....

I'll have a go at it this weekend maybe with the parts saw, and see if I can get it switched over to the good case half.

Thanks! :)

Like I mentioned before, let me know if they're too soft/not "springy" enough, and I'll work up another batch out of some actual spring steel.

If they work, I'm just happy to help.

If I understand your question correctly, then yes the "oil pump pad" installs in space between the adjustment sleeve and pump body that corresponds with the area between the inlet and outlet.

DSCN5924.JPG

I am not really sure what the felt pad is there for as many saws did not have one as original equipment. Even the SP60 (December 1973) and 7-10A (1974) did not show the pad, 1976 IPL's all seem to have it.

Mark

Yes Mark, that answers my question and thank you. That's where mine is. I just wasn't sure because it's purpose was unclear to me. And judging by marks on the mounting screw I'm sure someone's been into this oiler before me. My PM700 has the pump with the spring clip. It is difficult to place enough force on the spring clip to hold the back side of the oiler in place, while lining up the gasket and placing the mounting screw. I found it easier for me to flip the saw upside-down when installing the pump.
DSC08113_zps9e73074c.jpg

DSC08111_zpsf4538f2d.jpg

Hey guys I have a question about the 10 series oiler. I'm working on a super 6-10 automatic saw.. It has the all aluminum body oiler on it. I pulled it off and compared it to the diagram and it's missing the adjustment sleeve from inside it, item number 60 part number 62227.. Does it need that sleeve to work correctly? And I was able to find the sleeve on eBay if I need to get one, it's plastic correct?

The sleeve (yes it is plastic) is used to adjust the stroke of the automatic oil pump piston. Without the sleeve it will be making a full stroke all of the time and likely empty the oil tank in about 5 minutes when you are running flat out.

If you can't find one cheap, send me a message with your address and I can put one in the mail for you.

Mark

HI. Where dose the spring clip hooks on to the automatic oiler at???? I got the single screw oiler which bolts the oiler on,,,,,,Im having trouble with my oiler too. It manual oil just fine,,,,but it wont auto oil,,,,,,Thanks ...greg

Two tangs on the clip go in the two holes at the back of the pump, same two holes would be threaded for a three screw pump. You are supposed to have brass grommets inthe holes so the steel clip doesn't cut through. Once the pump is bolted in place I use a couple of screw drivers to push it back and wedge the back side down against the gasket.

Auto oiler not working probably means the piston is sticking, if you're not burning bar oil the clip won't really solve anything.

Mark

Thank u so much. Now i know. If the piston is sticking ,,,,do that mean i have to get a new piston for the automatic oiler????? ,,,,,,,Greg

Great thread Mark and thanks for sharing. I just came into four different 10 series saws so I expect this will come in handy when I find the time to clean them up and get them running.

Jeff

Gregg - First try taking it apart and cleaning everything we'll. Sometimes they just get sticky from old oil but I have seen a few where the phenolic disc has broken. If you didn't know what the parts are suppsed to look like you would not recognize the failure, just looks like a large phenolic washer floating around in there.

Jeff - nice to see you are still with us.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I haven't lost interest, just haven't had much time. I found a pile of old McCullochs and a couple of old John Deeres recently. There's a Pro Mac 800 in the lot that I'm really looking forward to getting started on, so I'm guessing you'll see me around more.

Cheers,
Jeff

Thanks Mark. I put a new automatic oiler in. My brother had one. It was still in the same pack,,,,and the pack wasnt open. He got a 700 pro mac. The oiler Had to be 25 years old. My brother pro mac 700 ,,,,he got that in 1979,,,,,,,,,Man dose that thing cut,,,,,,Still runs like a pro. So the new oiler did work in my 10-10- saw. and now it oils fine. I did clean the oiler with solvent it was purple power,,,,,,,,,but still no luck. But i did notice 1 thing,,,,,, the piston plunger with the disk on it,,,,,,,the oil ring was on the outside of the disk with a fringe in front of the oil ring,,,,,,,It didnt look right to me. Maybe i can post a picture and show u. I got the old auto oiler apart.,,,,Thanks for your help.....greg

Back