• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy McCulloch 101B kart saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CM76

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a McCulloch 101B powered kart saw/s for my collection. I am after saws that are in decent shape, and will pay good $$$$ for the right machines.
I realise that this is a long shot, but if you have one you would like to sell, I would be very interested.

Pm me with details.

Thanks,

Chris.

Thanks for the pics sawfun! Did you build them yourself? I have a 101 I am debating on throwing in mine or one that is blown if I can find one. Can you still tell a difference in between a stock one and the 101 you have with the stock carb? I have that same gem muffler I am going to use on mine if I ever get around to it. Also have the sloper intake with a bdc. I actually like the idea of a bdc, because it gets rid of the intake boot. I also imagine it is easier to remove the tank now?

Thanks for the pics sawfun! Did you build them yourself? I have a 101 I am debating on throwing in mine or one that is blown if I can find one. Can you still tell a difference in between a stock one and the 101 you have with the stock carb? I have that same gem muffler I am going to use on mine if I ever get around to it. Also have the sloper intake with a bdc. I actually like the idea of a bdc, because it gets rid of the intake boot. I also imagine it is easier to remove the tank now?

Yes I did build these myself and yes you can tell a big difference between a stock 101 and any stock 125. You can hear the difference when you first start it up. 101's even with the small SDC20 carb sound like a dirtbike and are louder than a cp125 using the same muffler. They are much stronger in the cut and need the rakers taken down considerably. The BDC sloper option should not be considered for a serious work saw, but rather a fun saw as it will use a TON of fuel and is hard to filter with the botomn of the tank cutout.

Yes I did build these myself and yes you can tell a big difference between a stock 101 and any stock 125. You can hear the difference when you first start it up. 101's even with the small SDC20 carb sound like a dirtbike and are louder than a cp125 using the same muffler. They are much stronger in the cut and need the rakers taken down considerably. The BDC sloper option should not be considered for a serious work saw, but rather a fun saw as it will use a TON of fuel and is hard to filter with the botomn of the tank cutout.

If I were to go the bdc route, I would lose the air filter cover and mount a filter to the carb itself.

No you can have a filter and cover but you have to make your iwn stud, which ain't easy. Also figuring out the fuel line and the throttle linkage is a challenge. I ran a large. 1/4" line so the carb would not starve on account of the line size.

I have a bdc but it is missing a few parts. I might just try a carb for a yamaha kt100 on it. It is considerably smaller externally but has close to the same venturi size.

Hey I see the 101's are coming out of the woodwork..... I sent Chris a PM as well. It won't break my heart if I don't sell one of mine, and to be honest Sawfun's are nicer looking than mine is anyway. I like the old style logo clutch covers, the dual spikes, and the handlebars. To be honest there really isn't a need for the BDC, as these things have crazy power with just a regular carb on them.

Hey I see the 101's are coming out of the woodwork..... I sent Chris a PM as well. It won't break my heart if I don't sell one of mine, and to be honest Sawfun's are nicer looking than mine is anyway. I like the old style logo clutch covers, the dual spikes, and the handlebars. To be honest there really isn't a need for the BDC, as these things have crazy power with just a regular carb on them.

Pics? What kind of carb are you running on yours? Fully adjustable sdc?

I have 5 of them, 3 runners, 1 with a compression problem, and 1 all disassembled. All have fully adjustable SDC carbs. The disassembed one I have a BDC with a sloper intake, but I couldn't get the thing to fit. I have an extra tank and SDC, so if I sell one I will have to get off my butt and build another.

I started one up today and took a video.

The saws are all pictured below, except the basket case.

The first one is fully restored by Brad Snelling. It had a leaky tank, and I epoxied it with that Caswell stuff. Worked like a charm.

The second one is a non-runner. I think it just needs new rings. Piston looks perfect through the exhaust hole.

The third one is the one I took a video of:

The fourth is my favorite runner. It is an awesome work saw, as it is not as minty as the rest. It completely torched a Dolmar 166 in a race at Cuttinscott's GTG a couple years ago.

Chris, I have a large looming veterinary Bill looming so may have to sell a 101B saw if your still interested. It's my SDC saw that is very clean, starts and runs very reliably. Mark ran it and was suitably impressed. I would want around $2000.

Good looking saws. Which will out perform the other? I'm debating buying a 3120 or a 101. Good seeing these vintage muscle saws on here Don.

Good luck buying a 101, you will most likely have to build one. I'd take a 101 any day over a 3120 myself. Oh yeah, about the 101, remember to lower the rakers, A LOT!

I'm as strong (and dum) as a mule, but not that mechanically inclined. Declined is more like it. And if I did build one it would probably run in reverse. Can tune the **** out of a saw and run em, just no patience in building em.

You seemed to do fine on that little 797. The conversion is easy as mostly you drill a hole and put a seal in the kart block for the oil pump pushrod
And you can modify the head to help support the rear AV mount but it is not essential.

Back