McCulloch 35

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little possum

Crash and Burn
Reaction score
Well, sat at the auction for 5 hours waiting for them to finally sale this saw, they were about to sell it right when we got there, but they moved to other junk.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also came with the Original Owners manual and IPL

Starter pawls are froze up, I suspect. Cause the starter handle moves, but doesnt move the piston, and the pawls dont engauge.
So was it worth the wait?

Last edited:
Well, picked it up for 45, other guy kept bidding and I just kept eyeballin em. I was determined to have it, everything at the sale was bringin like 5 dollars. A Homelite XL went for like 10 dollars.
Oh well, I wanted it, and now its mine.

My older brother found a new one, still in the box. Came without a bar so I helped fix him up with one.

He even brought it to the GTG this past Saturday but we won't fuel it up and run it.

attachment.php

Do a little searching and you will find a few guys are still running them. I have at least 4, could be 5 if I looked through all the pieces but I've not spent much time working on any of them so far. I don't know if you can find diaphragms, etc. but the carburetor on those old saws are like nothing you've ever seen before.

Lil' Possum - I'm sure I have IPL's so if you're interested PM me with your e-mail address and I can send one to you, and be sure to say hello to you smiling dad for me.

Mark

Edit, I just looked at your original post again and see you already have the owners manual and IPL. The 33/35 series were very popular and quite common, and even had a number of different attachments you could fit in place of the gearbox and bar like a brush cutter, tree auger, and an earth auger as well I believe. I have a few original equipment bars including one 12" one, I have never seen another short one like that anywhere.

More edit, just some curiosity; many of the later saws oil the chain through the bar like modern saws, albeit with a manual oiler only. I have a least one that simply squirts the bar oil onto the chain externally. I think most of the saws came with 1/2" pitch chain and I may be able to help you there if you need an original type chain. You can also get .404 drive sprockets (8T) from Discount Marine in MI.

You need to find a spike bar for that saw, holds the saw up so it sets flat on the bottom even with the bar and chain in position.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Mark, your brother did a good job on that one. That is awesome to find one in the box.
Thanks for the reply. I did notice it didnt sit evenly. Am lookin forward to gettin it runnin

Nice 35A Mark. Where did he find it?

I have a few of these most of them run.
I have not had to rebuild the carb to get theses to run.
The most I had to do so far was fix the starters.

cut149.jpg

cut153.jpg

cut155.jpg

cut158.jpg

You done good, Little Possum.
That Mac 35 with OM and IPL, not stuck but needing some starter assembly work, is well worth more than you paid.
Parts for these are not common... but still available if you watch and wait... I even found some NOS carb kits and air filters for mine. I have about 8-9 of the 33-series Mac's saws, including one with a Moose Ankle Loppin' brush cutter which I got from Modifiedmark.
They're a different style of chainsaw... fun to run... and can be as good a working saw as any of the old antiquey babies...
Parts for the different models are mostly interchangeable, so you sometimes see a Frankensaw with a left-side cover off a 35A, spark plug cover off a Super 33, even once in a blue moon an original 33 (they started with the smaller air filter cover and filter, like you can see in Cliff's pic) with one of the larger a/f covers retro-fitted (I have one of those).
The rarest item on these (aside from the model 39, which is hens' teeth) is the sprocket cover... I've only seen one on a couple of saws.
Have fun with this old baby... It's definitely worth the $$ you spent for it.

Old McCulloch Shop

Ray got his 99 (two man saw) and the 35A, I got an 840, SP125, 450 and 1-71 from a tree service/saw shop in our old home town of Grinnell, IA. I also pick up a bunch of parts, 1/2" pitch chain, etc. etc. over the past couple of years. He still has more stuff but I haven't had time to go back and search more diligently.

Cliff, I really like the circle bow bars with the handle on top, those are really nice. I like the "Super" model with the full wrap handle, one day I will have to have one of those in the collection.

Mark

Thanks guys. I figured it would at least be worth the money havin the OM and IPL. Just to copy and send it to somebody that needed it.

The OM shows a list of dealers, and there was only one around here. I was thinkin bout lookin into them and see if they are still around. Maybe they would have some old saws or parts.

Hi out there! I realize this thread is old but now that I have acquired a 35, I hope someone has a few tips. The carburetor is missing the 'needle' and actuator lever/arm. Would anyone have a picture to share? Also any tips on material to make a diaphragm out of?
This saw was torn apart and in a box hoping to put it together and possibly run it!
Cheers
Walter

Also hoping to locate the IPL for this old saw. If anyone has it I would appreciate receiving such!
After going over it more carefully missing:
Kill switch, plug cover, emblem, throttle and something in the carb body bottom up towards the metering valve?
Any pics out there of a Mac 35 teardown?
Cheers

Also hoping to locate the IPL for this old saw. If anyone has it I would appreciate receiving such!
After going over it more carefully missing:
Kill switch, plug cover, emblem, throttle and something in the carb body bottom up towards the metering valve?
Any pics out there of a Mac 35 teardown?
Cheers
Check your inbox for the ipl and a service manual.

For what it's worth, here are the Owners Manual, IPL, and carburetor adjustment pages for the 35.

Mark

Attachments

• McCulloch Mac 35 Chain Saw Owners Manual - June 1957.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • McCulloch Mac 35 Chain Saw Parts List - June 1957.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 35
  • McCullochSection7FuelSystemServi-1.jpg
    McCullochSection7FuelSystemServi-1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 43
  • McCullochSection7FuelSystemServi-2.jpg
    McCullochSection7FuelSystemServi-2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 36