McCulloch 3516 bar stud replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdavis24

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Friend dropped off a MAC 3516 with a loose bar and chain for me to fix. Seems to start and run ok.
One bar stud has been cross threaded and stripped in the mid point. Stud does not want to unscrew, and might be inserted from the back.
Does anyone know the repair process on this? Thanks.

I've worked on a couple of these Mac 3200 series saws and one had a broken bar stud. You're not going to like this but to replace those studs the saw practically has to be completely disassembled to get at it. The bar stud is a square end which has to be driven out from the clutch cover side into the case. You cannot remove it by trying to unscrew it due to the square end. You have to remove the flywheel, oil pump assembly and plastic flywheel shield to get access. This means the left case (outer shell) has to be removed. These studs are 1/4"-28 thread so if you can, try to run a die to clean up the threads before trying to replace the stud. I couldn't find any cheap bar studs for this saw, so I ended up welding a 1/4"-28 threaded end to the broken stud and it held up. I should've welded it on the saw but I took it off because I needed to put it into a holding fixture to get perfect alignment. I wish I had better news for you.

I wish I had better news for you.[/QUOTE]
Hmmm...thanks for the details. Chased the threads ok, but weak stud will need a spacer to keep bar nut tension zone out of damaged area. Altho hate to half fix a machine, seeing Its only a 16" bar not unlike ms200, 011av with one stud, perhaps this could live with only one as well.

Back