mCcULLOCH 440 CARB PRIMER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wojoe51

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Newbie here - Question - the primer on my 440 is leaking fuel around the pump shaft - anyone know where I can get a new one - I see in forums the name Bob Johnson but have no idea how to contact him

Newbie here - Question - the primer on my 440 is leaking fuel around the pump shaft - anyone know where I can get a new one - I see in forums the name Bob Johnson but have no idea how to contact him
id like to know that one to got the same problem with my 795

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My research into this led me to switch to a tillotson on my 380 that had an inoperable primer. My understanding is that there are no new replacements available and if you find a used one the odds of it working for long, if at all, are slim at best.

My research into this led me to switch to a tillotson on my 380 that hand an inoperable primer. My understanding is that there are no new replacements available and if you find a used one the odds of it working for long, if at all, are slim at best.
dang thats not what i wanted to hear..guess I'll have to break out MacGyver again!

You can remove the primer pump to service it. You likely need to replace the two little o rings and you're good to go.
It's a simple design and easy to work on.
i figured it might be something like that just haven't got into mine yet but SOON..and thanks man i appreciate a little extra knowledge!

Yes, the primer can be removed and the small o rings between it and the carb body replaced but the primer itself is not serviceable.

Yes, the primer can be removed and the small o rings between it and the carb body replaced but the primer itself is not serviceable.

I'm not following you....... the primer can be removed but it cannot be taken apart and repaired, hence it is not serviceable. It is designed to be replaced as a complete unit but it is NLA.

NLA is the word, some of us stocked up, NOS unit failure is 25%, I have 6 left, so 4 should work and no, I'm not giving any up.
The conversion to an HL is indicated or find a good seperate primer.

guess I dont quite understand - mine is leaking thru the plunger into the basin that the carb sits in-how do you get the primer apart once it is off the carb?? also - does anyone have a good schematic of these flatback carbs?

guess I dont quite understand - mine is leaking thru the plunger into the basin that the carb sits in-how do you get the primer apart once it is off the carb?? also - does anyone have a good schematic of these flatback carbs?
If one is dealing with a non functioning primer it can be removed from the carb and cleaned out with carb cleaner. Keep plunging until it comes out clean. If it's worn so bad that it lets fuel leak then it'll obviously need replaced. I still wouldn't rule out a bad o ring letting the fuel leak out. I know you say it's leaking out the plunger, but it can be hard to tell with the way fuel crawls around things before a drop starts building up.

I just pressurized the carb thru the fuel inlet with a small hand pump - p 2pds pressure and watched the fuel come out around the plunger - nothing around o rings.

Back