McCulloch 480 - any info?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

I have been given a McCulloch 480 with a 16" bar. I am cleaning it up and intend to get it going, though I don't know anything much about motors. I can't find any info about this saw on the web. Would be greatful to find out anything about it, including cc rating, and what the lever on top slightly to the rear of the top handle might be for.

It has old fuel in it that will have been in there since the parting of the red sea, so I wonder if I need to clean out the fuel line, or whether removing the cap and tipping upside down will suffice?

Also, I don't know what fuel mix to use in this saw. The Sach-Dolmar I usually use with a big 22 or 24" bar uses 50 to 1. Would that be the go for this wee saw?

Any other tips on getting a saw going that hasn't been for ages would be most gratefully received. Don't know much, but not scared to get hands dirty.

Thanks in advance
Steve

does it look anything like this?

or more like this?
0.7C

50:1 should be fine if it's like the top picture. If more like the bottom, 32:1 would be more appropriate. Just dump the old fuel and refill with good fresh mix of the right variety.

It looks very much like the top one, if not that exact saw! I had looked at your website previously in my search, under McCulloch Motors Corp, but could not see this one there - I must have looked in the wrong place.

The lever I referred to earlier is on the top, visible directly above the pull-start, behind the top handle. Mine is missing the housing, just metal sticking up, can't figure it out - no labelling.

Cheers for posting those pics! Much appreciated.

The lever is probably either a choke control or a decompressor control.

Choke is red and located on the rear, labelled. So this must be a decompressor. Thank you.

It's a manual oil pump. I probably have the little plastic piece that sticks onto your exposed metal.

I take it the idea is to pump it with your thumb to keep chain oiled? Do these saws not automatically oil chain?

Your saw was built in the Italian McCulloch factory in the late '80s.

Are you sure it's a 480? Lettering is is pretty clear on it? If so, it's around 48cc. Never seen a 480 though, but seen lots of 380 saws.

The plastic recoil cover is a weak point as are the gas and oil caps.

dbb said:
I take it the idea is to pump it with your thumb to keep chain oiled? Do these saws not automatically oil chain?

It's a manual override. If you want more oil than the auto is putting out.

Yes, lettering is very clear. I wonder if this model may be New Zealand or Australasia specific, as I can't find any reference to it either, which is usually a giveaway that such a model was not released in the US market. I imagine postage of parts to NZ would cost more than the parts themselves, so I may custom up a small wooden cover for the oil lever - if I can get the saw going that is.

Thanks for identifying and explaining the oiler!!

Hello I have a Pm 480 and the brake band latch is broken and can’t find any information as it’s old is there anywhere I can get one there is a number on the saw it’s pm 480 ,02-028459, there is no more numbers on machine,

does it look anything like this?

or more like this?
0.7C

50:1 should be fine if it's like the top picture. If more like the bottom, 32:1 would be more appropriate. Just dump the old fuel and refill with good fresh mix of the right variety.
i can only se one machine

Do you think I could still get parts .i don’t no what this latch should look like as there is only half of it ,I need a picture to se how it goes,thanks Kev

This thread is more than 14 years old, not likely to get any traffic from the original participants. Refer to the attached IPL, should be close enough to your saw to identify the part(s) you need.

Try posting a follow up message in the McCulloch Chainsaw sticky thread, more eyes on that one.

Mark

Attachments

• Pro Mac 430 435 440 VC Jan 85.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 25
Back