McCulloch 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4van

Reaction score
Just acquired a used McCulloch 610. In good working condition, what is it worth? Anything special I need to know? Haven't tried to start it (got it last night from a friend) yet... are they finicky to start? I would like to give my friend some cash for it, so any assistance would be handy.

Thanks,

Jeff Lester

McC 610 about 3.75 cubes, 60cc. Very similar McC models: 605, Timber bear, etc. Available new with 16"-24" bars, .354 (extremely hard to find now) and 3/8" chain.

One weak point on these saws is the upper av mount for the rear handle is also the airbox, which is a white-metal die casting. If the saw falls off of the back of your truck, handle-first onto the driveway, you'll break it, and parts are unavailable.

Auto-oiler on these models wasn't usually very reliable...be certain to give the manual oiler a shove now and them.

I've seen them on Ebay for up to about $125. For me that means a real-world value of $50.

Mac has no used the .354 chain in years and never used it on the 610 saw. They may have used it on the 6-10 saw that was built in the 60's but not the newer 610 saw built in the 80's and 90's.
If you break the air box on it I have one I'll sell you. My oppinion of the saw: It's a too saw; too heavy, too bulky, and too slow, Just like a 009 Stihl. LOL :D Later Butch

I did minor work on a few 610s in the early 80s. They were fair saws, fairly durable, bulky for their power though.

Value now wouldn't be very much. Parts are probably rough to find.

It is too bad we can't have easy access to all the McCulloch and Homelite parts that must have been left from all the old dealers that have quit. I can remember about a dozen closed dealers in a 25 mile circle of here. I remember one old shop (Grubb's in Palastine, Illinois) that had new unsold saws in about 1998 that were probably from the 60s, a ton of parts to. He never wanted to talk about liquidating anything even though he had one foot in the grave. Don't know what happened to the stuff.

RE: Butch:

I've got 2 610's, one bought in a box of junk at an auction, and one given to me by an old fellow as part payment for taking a tree from his garage roof. Both have broken airboxes.

The 610 from the old fellow came with a 24" hardnose bar, and .354 chain. He also provided a spare chain, also .354. There didn't seem to be enough wear on the bar to have worn out many chains, so I assumed that is what the saw was recieved with from new. A quick check through a couple of sprocket listings showed that a .354 was listed as available from Stens for this series at least until 1990.

I realize this proves nothing...a dealer wanting to rid himself of a spool of old chain could have set this up, for example, figuring he could sell the 3/8" sprocket and chain set up later.

Used one at a cabin

Cut through a few logs and ran out of gas ! Really eats allot of fuel. Frankly it looks big but I wouldn't buy it unless you need the workout. You can get a pretty good saw relative to this MAC610 used for about a $100.

The 6-10 should be mostly yellow, except maybe black air cleaner lid, and look pretty much like a 10-10. It will have almost no plastic or rubber parts, except for the pull handle, and fuel hose. The air cleaner cover will have a big "M" cast right in. If the 6-10 was anything like the 10-10's brother, the 700, it wasn't a bad saw for it's time.

the 610 will look "square" and "boxy", with about as ugly a brake handle as ever was made. Most of the plastic is yellow, except the airbox lid and it's plastic knob, which are black. the choke knob is green...or is it the oiler?

I hope I've described the 610 well enough from memory...I'm too danged lazy to run to the barn.

Ten years after........

Yup, back from the dead. Just to **ss off Aaron...

Mac610005.jpg

I bought one of them SOBs back in the 1980s. I don't know if the auto oiler ever worked, and I have replaced the "pump". I keep in my basement in case of tornado or hurricane so my house won't blow away. :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

That is with the 20" bar. I don't have a lot of pictures of it actually, and I need to try to clean that recoil cover. But it's a working saw. I've had to replace the oil pump (although I damaged it trying to clean it) and the ignition module. The darn thing runs great.

Ten years after........

Yep, new member found old information new again!

Thanks for the pictures, I love it when people complain about old saws being heavy...were men stronger in the 1980's? (fitness trainer here poking fun)

I'm rebuilding a Stihl 036 pro and it is different with all the plastic construction inside the great little saw.

<snip>Thanks for the pictures, I love it when people complain about old saws being heavy...were men stronger in the 1980's? (fitness trainer here poking fun) <snip>

I suspect WE WERE stronger 20-30 years ago. :laugh: Do you EXPECT to be as strong at 55 as you were at 25? :msp_confused:

Latest posts

Back