• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Mcculloch 895

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Sawfun - Can you let me know how an 895 stacks up against a 797 and an SP125? I'm not terribly familiar with Mac's.

Thanks

Scott
The 895 is 20cc's smaller but a geardrive of 2:1 or the optional 3:1. It is slower but pulls better with a 60" or longer. The 797 has a ton of torque for a direct drive and would be better in hard wood or with a longer bar than a 125. And that's saying something as a 125 sure ain't nothing to sneeze at. I prefer a 125 and 50" bar 797 with 60" and a 895 with a 72". The reason I prefer the 125 is its civility.

The 895 is 20cc's smaller but a geardrive of 2:1 or the optional 3:1. It is slower but pulls better with a 60" or longer. The 797 has a ton of torque for a direct drive and would be better in hard wood or with a longer bar than a 125. And that's saying something as a 125 sure ain't nothing to sneeze at. I prefer a 125 and 50" bar 797 with 60" and a 895 with a 72". The reason I prefer the 125 is its civility.

Excellent description! Thanks for the info.

Scott

There was a post several years back which stated that a man who walked into a Mcculloch dealer intending to purchase an 895 knew exactly what he was purchasing it for. I'm guessing most were company saws. If you have not handled a geardrive in big wood, they are a very different breed from.the direct drive saws on how they feel and behave. Old growth Sayers at their finest. Though the dealer installed 797g's would have to be the top dog of the long bar Mac's I suspect.

There was a post several years back which stated that a man who walked into a Mcculloch dealer intending to purchase an 895 knew exactly what he was purchasing it for. I'm guessing most were company saws. If you have not handled a geardrive in big wood, they are a very different breed from.the direct drive saws on how they feel and behave. Old growth Sayers at their finest. Though the dealer installed 797g's would have to be the top dog of the long bar Mac's I suspect.

Now you have my interest -- how difficult is it to convert a 797? I have a minty 797 that @leeha restored.

I would like to run a 797g against a stock 090g with 72" bars to see how they fair. Both my 090AV and 090g are ported so I dunno when that will be possible. I love 123cc Mac's, however the 090g is bigger and an extremely tough saw to beat when the bars get long in pitchy wood. I hope to finish my 797g in time for the PNW gtg.

Scott, I have installed several 797's in the geardrive chassis. The only issue was the
stuffer. You have to grind some so the crank will clear cuz of the longer stroke. Can't
use the 797 stuffer. The last one I built I used the Walbro SDC carb so the saw is a
Super 797G and runs flawlessly. Pulls like a freight train.

I would like to run a 797g against a stock 090g with 72" bars to see how they fair. Both my 090AV and 090g are ported so I dunno when that will be possible. I love 123cc Mac's, however the 090g is bigger and an extremely tough saw to beat when the bars get long in pitchy wood. I hope to finish my 797g in time for the PNW gtg.

Yeah, it's giving up a few cc's if your 090G has been upgraded to 137cc.

I have an unported 137cc 090G here, but won't be back in the states until late August. Also have a Contra GS, also 137cc, but can't imagine it would be much different than the 090G.

Scott, I have installed several 797's in the geardrive chassis. The only issue was the
stuffer. You have to grind some so the crank will clear cuz of the longer stroke. Can't
use the 797 stuffer. The last one I built I used the Walbro SDC carb so the saw is a
Super 797G and runs flawlessly. Pulls like a freight train.

That sounds interesting, Lee. Let me know if you run across another geardrive chassis.

Thanks

Scott

090g's pull a 96" bar well, A ported 090g doesn't seem to know its even there. Oh yea, hang on and stand your ground or all those cutters WILL pull you into the wood hard. I'm betting a 797g is about the same. Bear in mind that the standard 797 has a good deal more umph than the super 797. There are said to be 5 versions of the standard 797, none weak, but the earlier, the more aggressive the porting.

090g's pull a 96" bar well, A ported 090g doesn't seem to know its even there. Oh yea, hang on and stand your ground or all those cutters WILL pull you into the wood hard. I'm betting a 797g is about the same. Bear in mind that the standard 797 has a good deal more umph than the super 797. There are said to be 5 versions of the standard 797, none weak, but the earlier, the more aggressive the porting.

Just curious what you guys are using for chain now that 1/2” has gone the way of the dodo? .404 .080?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back