McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original coil? Any timing issues?

I'm conflicted with mine. Wanted to stay original and went back to points from the chip setup it had when I got it..., with a broken crank so I never knew how it ran with the chip before tearing it down. Now that it's back together with points I'm having an issue with what seems to be a major timing advance somehow. Got frustrated and put it on the shelf for another day. It was suggested that maybe it has an electronic coil creating an obvious conflict. It'll start, but won't rev past a couple thousand rpm's.

Still have the chip and am tempted to convert again. Haven't disconnected the points yet to see if there's still fire with the current coil. I'm guessing you prefer the chipped version. LOL

These are all the 82cc Macs that stay in a rotation. Plus the super 2-10 and SP40 in the mix

67e32be42137f02e6c59ba8dbe537d1a.jpg

Non runners up high on the shelf are just spare parts since I never intend on buying another saw.
1689e69106a8367ee2b9edeac43f9058.jpg
nice looking macs!!! 81e looks real good

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Original coil? Any timing issues?

I'm conflicted with mine. Wanted to stay original and went back to points from the chip setup it had when I got it..., with a broken crank so I never knew how it ran with the chip before tearing it down. Now that it's back together with points I'm having an issue with what seems to be a major timing advance somehow. Got frustrated and put it on the shelf for another day. It was suggested that maybe it has an electronic coil creating an obvious conflict. It'll start, but won't rev past a couple thousand rpm's.

Still have the chip and am tempted to convert again. Haven't disconnected the points yet to see if there's still fire with the current coil. I'm guessing you prefer the chipped version. LOL

Put the chip as close to the oil tank as you can to stay away from heat. I don’t have all my pictures on my phone anymore and my old computer is put up in the closet so I can’t access some old pictures. I did have one chip fail that was placed closer to the coil and I suspect it was due to heat. Now that they are all on the other side of the crankshaft I have had no issues. I have used the saws for the past decade clearing storm debris and cutting firewood and a lot of milling in the ignition chips have been fine for me. I know some people want to stay true to the heritage but that’s just not High on my priority list. What is high on my priority list is buying a 82cc chainsaw for $60 and being able to use it for 10 or 15 years reliably. That’s why I have so many of them that are identical so that my parts inventory is simple.

nice looking macs!!! 81e looks real good

Thank you sir.

One of the several times me and @heimannm got together we put together probably the largest known pictures of 82cc Macs.

One of these days I’m going to get that computer out and put all those pictures on my phone so I can quickly access them while on this forum.

Thank you sir.

One of the several times me and @heimannm got together we put together probably the largest known pictures of 82cc Macs.

One of these days I’m going to get that computer out and put all those pictures on my phone so I can quickly access them while on this forum.
that would be cool to see i know he has alot havent seen any pictures of his but ive seen the list ive got an 8200 and a 800 and thats it of my 82s

that would be cool to see i know he has alot havent seen any pictures of his but ive seen the list ive got an 8200 and a 800 and thats it of my 82s

The 8200 is a very nice chainsaw. I had one that was brand new but I was never brave enough to put fuel in it so I sold it. The 800 is also a very good saw. However, if you really want to know how good the 82cc chainsaws can run then you need to find a super pro 80 or 81. I guess the PM850 are also equal to the 80 and 81 but my best running saw is the SP80. The 800’s are heavier and not as comfortable to run for a couple hours compared to the 80, 81, and 850. I still use my 800, 805, 8200, DE80 but they are heavier and don’t seem to have the same torque.

I googled that pic of me and Mark.

e064780c41a70fac0d817fd80013ac9d.jpg

The 8200 is a very nice chainsaw. I had one that was brand new but I was never brave enough to put fuel in it so I sold it. The 800 is also a very good saw. However, if you really want to know how good the 82cc chainsaws can run then you need to find a super pro 80 or 81. I guess the PM850 are also equal to the 80 and 81 but my best running saw is the SP80. The 800’s are heavier and not as comfortable to run for a couple hours compared to the 80, 81, and 850. I still use my 800, 805, 8200, DE80 but they are heavier and don’t seem to have the same torque.

I googled that pic of me and Mark.

e064780c41a70fac0d817fd80013ac9d.jpg
hell yeah thats sweet have to show this to my kid im guessing your on the left mark on the right?..if thoses older one out cut my two thats saying something..them 80s 81s and 850s keep getting away from me lol so i settled for the two i have

I believe my PM800 needs a 'B' piston. It is part number 92519. I only see them for $100 OEM or the Lil Red Barn one for $35. That one looks pretty 'rough' compared to an OEM. Previous discussion in this thread steered me away from it. Where are you seeing other OEMs for $50+, Ron?

Thanks,
Rob

They come up on eBay from time to time. Can’t remember the Seller but he was on there for a while under $50. I bought three earlier for under $70 including an A. Later I bought two under $50; don’t remember who that Seller was either. Believe it was a post by Mark that brought them to my attention. The $100 guys have been at that price for quite some time. Just keep watching and running the part number.

Ron

Joey, good to hear from you. If you lived a little closer, I get you to mill me some trailer floor boards from that white oak.

Every time I hear about how strong the early MACs are, I want to kick myself for giving away my SP81E and selling my NOS cylinder for $20. I like the look of the 80 and 81 better than the 850 and later boot strap saws. The high a/f cover looks better on the boot strap saws to me.

Ron

I believe my PM800 needs a 'B' piston. It is part number 92519. I only see them for $100 OEM or the Lil Red Barn one for $35. That one looks pretty 'rough' compared to an OEM. Previous discussion in this thread steered me away from it. Where are you seeing other OEMs for $50+, Ron?

Thanks,
Rob

Randy’s has Cs for $50. Maybe you should measure your cylinder. It might be big enough to handle a C.

Ron

Back