McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You was cutting so fast that the 5 or 6 of us could not keep up

Brian

By the way it was a PM610. Not sure their is any difference in the two excepth the name.
I was wondering why he quit also. I saw him tring to find another chain. I think you was making about 2 or 3 cuts to his 1.

Is the oiler gear any good?
I need one of those if same as 4216

The gears are fine, but it seems the one on the crank just slips on the crank and won't turn the oiler gear. When I tore into it, someone had bobbed Rtv sealer around the line going into the oil tank. So that may have been the issue. I'll get it out later this morning and take some pics for ya.

It really was a good saw (in fact it looked new) , but my father-in-law gave me my Stihl MS180 and I just left the Mac in the box.

Here is a pic of the saw before I took it apart to look for the issue.

20171201_090740-816x612.jpg

Oooh, one of those newer mac's. Can't tell you how many times I took one apart to fix the broken oil tank cap...sold that one a while ago and very glad I did. Kinda wonder if it's still running today. Doubt it, but you never know.

Oooh, one of those newer mac's. Can't tell you how many times I took one apart to fix the broken oil tank cap...sold that one a while ago and very glad I did. Kinda wonder if it's still running today. Doubt it, but you never know.

What year do you think it's from?

What's funny is I thought it was an amazing saw until I got the Stihl lol

What year do you think it's from?

What's funny is I thought it was an amazing saw until I got the Stihl lol
If you want to run a mac that is what the mac name was built on, go grab a 10 series, or an sp series. That little one is late in the game, more Chinese poulan than mac. If I had to guess a date, if say late 90s early 2000s

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I cut a lot but always forget to take pics. After seeing Brian and Ron post some I thought I would share what we did today.

Cut down a large white oak that was rotten at the bottom from half of it splitting off back in 2011. Need to get it before it is completely rotten.

b129edda7269ed6e2850d603b9e67f05.jpg

Here’s the PM8200 chunking up some pieces so I can easily pick them up to put on the splitter.

Here’s the SP81E taking down the white oak.

I had a wedge cut on the back side but that sucker was weighted heavy on that side. It caused a crack to run up the trunk about 3’. That will waste some lumber. Oh well, I learned a lesson. I should have plunge cut deep and then cut the front piece to fell it.

Here’s the SP81E taking down the white oak.

I had a wedge cut on the back side but that sucker was weighted heavy on that side. It caused a crack to run up the trunk about 3’. That will waste some lumber. Oh well, I learned a lesson. I should have plunge cut deep and then cut the front piece to fell it.

Joey, got to love those old 82cc MACs.

Easy to be an armchair quarterback with a playback, but looks to me like you should have stayed at the cut a little longer. White oaks are prone to chair like yours did or worst which is just the situation where a fast and powerful saw really helps. You had the ideal saw for the job IMHO. Several years ago and the one and only time I cut standing trees for lumber for someone else, with the LO watching I chaired a beautiful white oak 10 to 12 feet primarily because I was too hesitant with a PM8200. At least it stayed on the stem and didn't fall on me, but it cost the LO a board or two. Coo Bays cut or boring are the conservative approaches, but time consuming.

We need to have a mid-south GTG and get a bunch of MACs together.

Ron

Thanks for the pics does not look the same. Two tabs on clutch drive the gear on the one I have. Bigger saw.
Cheers

I'm pretty sure the one you have Walter is a a Poulan model judging by the 5300XXXXX part numbers. You should be able to get a gear for that saw cheap from Poulan or Husky dealer.

Anyone want to buy the 3516 for parts? $40+ shipping? I'm just throwing out a ball park number. If interested, let's talk.

Joey, got to love those old 82cc MACs.

Easy to be an armchair quarterback with a playback, but looks to me like you should have stayed at the cut a little longer. White oaks are prone to chair like yours did or worst which is just the situation where a fast and powerful saw really helps. You had the ideal saw for the job IMHO. Several years ago and the one and only time I cut standing trees for lumber for someone else, with the LO watching I chaired a beautiful white oak 10 to 12 feet primarily because I was too hesitant with a PM8200. At least it stayed on the stem and didn't fall on me, but it cost the LO a board or two. Coo Bays cut or boring are the conservative approaches, but time consuming.

We need to have a mid-south GTG and get a bunch of MACs together.

Ron

Thank you for the information. I believe you’re right, if I was brave enough to continue to cut it would’ve been a better outcome.

It would be fun to have a Mac get together sometime!

I had chance yesturday to run a stihl 290 next to my 610 650 frankensaw. It was very interesting. Was cutting 14 month old white oak tops behind loggers. 290 had carbide chain and 610 had nos laser brand chippper chain. 290 has better balance but curiously inwould rate their antivibe as anout equal. 290 was faster on stuff up to 10 inches or so but with the bar close to buried the 610 had slight edge. Both run 20.inch bars. The still was quiter lol

Ron & Joey - plan on coming to Mastermind's GTG next October near Jamestown, TN, we can call it the Mid South McCulloch Sound Festival.

Mark

Didn’t know about it. I guess I should keep up better. Any dates set yet? He is not far from Terry Landrum - the only GTG I have made. Bet Brian would come too if the dates work. He and I kicked around having one here last fall but life got too busy for us.

Ron

Back