McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure they are the serial number. Later saws separated the model number stamp and the serial number stamp of opposite sides of that "T" shaped rib in the bottom of the crank case. Sometimes with a block could be used for different models like the 1-70/1-80 or the 300/650 both model numbers were stamped and one would be struck through. Somebody could not make up their mind if this one was going to be a 1-76 or 1-86.

numbers 1.jpg

This one could have been a 1-72 or 1-82, ended up as a 1-72 but the didn't strike through the 82.

1-72 9.JPG

This Super 44 has the stamp in the same location as your 55.

McCulloch Super 44 sn.jpg

But the Super 44A has the stamp in the same location as the later saws like the top photos.

McCulloch Super 44A SN1.JPG

Mark

More information would be required to help with that. I am not aware of anything in the early saw serial numbers to indicate the model.

To determine 55, Super 55 or Super 55A you need to check bore and stroke. The 44, S44, and S44a were the same saws but direct drive.

55 is 72 cc @ 2" bore x 1.375" stroke, the 55 has a removable head with the spark plug pretty much in the center, unique to the 44/55 models.

McCulloch D-44 Family 4.JPG

S55 is 80 cc @ 2.125" bore x 1.375" stroke, S55A is 87 cc @ 2.125" bore x 1.5" stroke, both have removable heads and the spark plug is on the left and angled towards the flywheel cover but had a shroud you would have to open in order to see the spark plug.

Mark

Based on that great info Mark it would appear my saw is a 55 because of the spark plug location.
Make me want to ask if the S55 and S55A were indicated on the Saw as the previously mentioned location.

Tim - some wires were routed inside, mostly on the older -10 saws. I don't think I have ever seen a SP with the spark plug wire routed under the shroud.

View attachment 638622

I think I bought a couple of the ducts from Bill Robinson (Fayetteville Equipment), you can see if he has any more.

View attachment 638626

Mark

Thanks Mark. Interesting note. The duct on my saw has the muffler cover bolts in a horizontal position where the one on your saw in the pic has bolts in the vertical position. I think I'll move that plug wire outside as it's snuggling up to the muffler the way it is.

Is yours a 70 cc version?

SP80 muff cvr1.JPG

Yes. The only two saws I have seen with the cold weather kit were the SP60 and SP80. There was even a front hand guard on some, I think Ted (Warped5) has one with the guard.

065_zpse4978135[1].jpg

Not sure who's saw this is, may be the "before" of Ted's. The AF in these were different as well, fine mesh brass rather than the screen with flocking, evidently they thought the air may be too warm for the fabric flocking.

DSC06635.JPG

Mark

What model of Mac is the saw on top in this picture? The seller wants $125 for the pair and says they run.
e530878f60b25f1109b6d62e564253bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I see a lever type compression release and a RH starter handle, that would make it a CP70. The other one is a 10-10S. Assuming both have compression and spark $125 is not bad. The CP70 is a nice saw at 70 cc with good antivibe. Most parts can still be found if you search. Lots of people like the 10-10S as well. I prefer the PM55 with the short clutch cover for my 57 cc 10 Series.

CP 70 011.jpg

Mark

I think I see a lever type compression release and a RH starter handle, that would make it a CP70. The other one is a 10-10S. Assuming both have compression and spark $125 is not bad. The CP70 is a nice saw at 70 cc with good antivibe. Most parts can still be found if you search. Lots of people like the 10-10S as well. I prefer the PM55 with the short clutch cover for my 57 cc 10 Series.

View attachment 639781

Mark

Thanks for the info, I’ll try to get them then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back