McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys whelp im in need of some advice once again, you see I bought a sp81 parts saw for my pro Mac 850 to use the cylinder and piston..thought it would be straight forward but im sure you know the ignition mounts were not right on the sp81 cylinder for the 850 ignition coil...soo I bought a coil but it didn't come with points or condenser and i didn't know I would need them and well im stuck..
What should I do buy points and condenser if I can find them...or try one of those ignition module things so I don't need points, because honestly I don't really know how to mount them but im willing to learn if I could find them..
Like I said looking for advice what is the best route to take here thanks in advance

Hey guys whelp im in need of some advice once again, you see I bought a sp81 parts saw for my pro Mac 850 to use the cylinder and piston..thought it would be straight forward but im sure you know the ignition mounts were not right on the sp81 cylinder for the 850 ignition coil...soo I bought a coil but it didn't come with points or condenser and i didn't know I would need them and well im stuck..
What should I do buy points and condenser if I can find them...or try one of those ignition module things so I don't need points, because honestly I don't really know how to mount them but im willing to learn if I could find them..
Like I said looking for advice what is the best route to take here thanks in advance
There is a good chance your crank doesn't have the cam to run points. Some did, some didn't from what I know. That's the first thing I would check.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Well I ordered one of those stens modules..so can anyone give me any tips in hooking it up,..like do you ground it to coil? And whereas a good place to mount it? My coil has 4 wire hookup slots do two wires go to the module and the other two are taken by the kill switch and the coil ground? Hopefully it comes with instructions haha. Thanks alot guys love this site.

They come with instructions. They need to be mounted where they will get the least heat as possible. I tried to mount one where the condenser was mounted thinking it was a good place but the heat got both of them on my 10-10's. I mounted one one my 510 up in front where the gas tank is mounted and it has lasted so far.

Brian

This spot works. Guy who mounted it theorized the heat sink against the shroud would dissipate more heat than free air. Who knows. It does receive the benefit of the fan wheel to a certain extent. I removed the chip setup when I rebuilt the saw. Went back to points to stay original.

1219161111.jpg

No MAC pictures today, but both Brian and I put some of our MACs to work. Brian more than me as I spent most of my time on the tractor. I did manage to dull two .404 chains in less than two minutes with the PM 800 - one square filed and one semi chisel. I should have known there was a good reason the previous cutter had not finished - but I was asked to finish the job so I did. Also finished off two 3/8 chains in the process. Both were down to their final sharpening when the cutters are just little triangles - a time when they usually really rip. I thought maybe I hit the dirt with them so I fired up the MAC just to dull two brand new chains. I was watching carefully so I know I didn't hit the dirt with them. Found out at lunch the previous cutter had quit with sparks flying. Who knows what was in the old red oak. It is all firewood now.

Today was the firewood chucking day for the Florida high school group that comes up every year. Started the morning with 24 and was soon down to 20 or so due to some not feeling too well. 25+/- tandem axle trailer loads taken to the wood lot today. So over all a very good day.

Ron

Thanks pogo ill try that out..did the saw work goof with the chip?

I only removed the chip for my little resto so the saw would be closer to original. Don't know how it ran except for what the guy I bought it from said about it..., which was all good aside from the part when the flywheel came loose and trashed the keyway on the crank.

And that's how I got an SP81 for $35. Had it for nearly three years before finally rebuilding it last winter. Ironically, it has an ignition issue that I've yet to get back to figuring out.

Latest posts

Back