McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rarefish - The yellow spikes on the 550 are not factory. The bar mount on all of the large frame McCulloch saws from the D-30 to the SP125 are the same. Some different bar adjusters were used so the older saws may not accept some of the newer bars. There were both 4 tooth and 5 tooth factory spikes.

4 tooth on the 550's below

McCulloch 550 twins 4.JPG

A little hard to see but 5 tooth on the S550

DSCN0040.JPG

Mark

rarefish - The yellow spikes on the 550 are not factory. The bar mount on all of the large frame McCulloch saws from the D-30 to the SP125 are the same. Some different bar adjusters were used so the older saws may not accept some of the newer bars. There were both 4 tooth and 5 tooth factory spikes.

View attachment 646855

View attachment 646856

Mark

Do you still have the S550?

Here's some temptation for you. All recently completed projects, four out of five were bought in one lot a few years ago and were supposedly all junk. One needed a piston, two just rings, and the PM8200 received a short block transplant as it was the only one with irreparable damage.

20180415_180750.jpg

As received

DSCN0007.JPG

DSCN0006.JPG

Mark

I was asking Uncle Lee’s Opinion.

I Suppose I could have done it in a PM.

My Sorry.

It’s Local, but not in my possession.

The owner is a master chainsaw mechanic, a hoarder & a good friend of mine.
I said "teaser" tongue in cheek. Guess you could say I was teasing.. I liked the 550 well enough. Plenty of juice for me at the time, but a little more experience dictated a little bigger saw. Hense the 1050 Homie. I think that's as tall as I will go.. Ran it for a couple hours Sunday, and am paying for it today. Had to have it going though, damn logs were thththick. And maple. Didn't feel like putting my PM 55 through the paces and it would have done it, CUZ shes a MAC!! Guys have fun at the GTG.. I'm on the other coast. I'll wait for it to come to me. Cheers. K

From the sound of this thread, a 650 or 750 Homelite or a SP105 would be a better choice, especially considering the rarity of parts...

From the sound of this thread, a 650 or 750 Homelite or a SP105 would be a better choice, especially considering the rarity of parts...
I was kinda dreaming.. Ii have some nice MACs that are stock as rocks. 1-70.. D-40, & a 26? Don't remember now.. BUT, I do has a SP 125 that's knocking at the door trying to get in the basket. It's a wreck but got spark. Silver lining.. I'll think a little bit longer on this.. Cheers. K

I was kinda dreaming.. Ii have some nice MACs that are stock as rocks. 1-70.. D-40, & a 26? Don't remember now.. BUT, I do has a SP 125 that's knocking at the door trying to get in the basket. It's a wreck but got spark. Silver lining.. I'll think a little bit longer on this.. Cheers. K

I’ve recently started a home for unwanted or abandoned McCullochs.

If needed, I’ll be glad to take that SP125 off your hands.

View attachment 646855

View attachment 646856

Mark
Thanks Mark. Hope to get it running today. I like those four tooth dogs, paint them Homelite red and they will look like flames on an old hot rod. Just kidding! If I get it running I'll do a drag race with one of my Homelite Super 1050's. Being only 1CC apart it should be a pretty even race. I've never compared one of the 1050's with my Stihl 660, but I don't think I notice that much difference milling with the two. But, you get the feeling the 660 is faster because it revs so much higher. When I start to push the limit of the 36" bars on both saws, I think the Homelite starts to pull ahead of the Stihl with the extra torque. I'm hoping the 550 hangs right with the 1050, Joe.

Pulled the plug on the 550, has spark. Emptied and rinsed the tank. Put half tank of fresh mix in, a little shot of mix in the carb, 5-6 pulles it fired up ran 6-8 seconds, blipped the throttle, revved and sounded good, died. Put another shot in the carb, 5-6 pulls and it started again, let it idle to see if it would start pulling fuel through the carb. Might have gone 10-12 seconds at an idle and died again. Blowing tons of smoke, the old mix I dumped out looked like 16:1. Was very surprised, it is much quieter than the 1050. When I blipped the throttle is was pleasant to stand next to. Gotta get to work, will play with it more later, Joe.

Latest posts

Back