McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Macs had a pretty good run in forestry through the 70s into the early 80s. Basically right up until Robert McCullough passed away and the kids sold it out to black and decker. The sp and cp models were the top of the heap for Mac.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
My old SP 55 just keeps on running.. And you are correct. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, in fact almost in the middle, and the older MACs are not that hard to come by.. Due diligence reaps nice rewards. .and that's almost all I run is old MACs and Homelites..

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_193800.jpg
    IMG_20180525_193800.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180525_193747.jpg
    IMG_20180525_193747.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
I've looking at chain options for the "28”/ 92dl 0.063” McCulloch Gray Labeled bar". I'm not seeing any .063 92dl chains on bailey's? I would prefer a skip chain for less teeth to sharpen, does anybody know of some skip .063 92dl chains?

My old SP 55 just keeps on running.. And you are correct. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, in fact almost in the middle, and the older MACs are not that hard to come by.. Due diligence reaps nice rewards. .and that's almost all I run is old MACs and Homelites..
I got a better pic.. This I just put on the roadIMG_20180525_193829.jpg

I've looking at chain options for the "28”/ 92dl 0.063” McCulloch Gray Labeled bar". I'm not seeing any .063 92dl chains on bailey's? I would prefer a skip chain for less teeth to sharpen, does anybody know of some skip .063 92dl chains?
Just order a loop..63 is usually 404../92 DL. Skip

Just order a loop..63 is usually 404../92 DL. Skip
Maybe I jumped the gun.. If you're urban harvesting, you'll want a skip..plenty of unseen objects in them thar trees.. But... If out and about no reason not to run a full if your saw will handle it. Gotta be pretty good size.. More teeth, more drag, but quicker

I'm in the Midwest, we see a lot of 610s, 10-10s, a few 7-10s and some of the old 250s. There wasn't much here for true logging, just farmers clearing land. You do find some old homies too, but usually farmers ran them till they quit ad scrapped them. Most of the saws I buy seem to come from the Pacific northwest. My sp81 came out of Alberta Canada, my 700 came from northern Idaho, the rest of mine were local finds

Old mag is generally revered here in the states by anyone who knows any history..., especially of the Pacific Northwest in its glory days. McCulloch was synonymous with the best there is for many, many years..., some would say even to this day.

Search YouTube for Buckin' Billy Ray if you don't know who he is. He still uses Macs on an almost daily basis and has gazillions of vids. Quite a character and loves his McCullochs.

Haha buckin billy is why iv got a cuple:) well thats good to here there still alive and kicking but a shame there history tho and not the future seemed like mac coulda been one of the big brands today.

Even the wife watches Billy and the live feeds too he remembers her now she thinks hes a good old fashioned bloke lookin after his family and there needs to be more good role models like him around. He only wants enough to live a comfortable life no greed if he sold you something it would a fair price kinda guy who's always positive about life never puts dirt on others. He changed saws from a tool to a love and then I saw that 10 10 hookin threw that big maple the hunt for a proper mac began I had a mate with a 10 10 and I had a box full of 310s and (to be honest after running the 10-10 there is still the mac noise and feel with those we things they cut well for there size and top handle is great around the yard) but yea took months of hunting and asking before I found 1 then the 800 popped up on trade me wich is a rarity "wahoo!" any way bla bla cool saws for cool people:) gota find more

I think POULAN is the only lefty. But don't take my word onit. Pretty sure it's opposite. Lefty tighty in other words

IPL for the CP shows a key in the clutch which means the nut will be a RH thread. Parts list calls out 3/8-24 (fine thread) with no additional specifications.

The SP models (105, 125) have no key and therefore utilize a LH thread. The parts lists call out 3/8-24 (L.H.)

Mark

P.S. I found this photo showing my CP125 with the keyway in the crankshaft.

DSC06805.JPG

IPL for the CP shows a key in the clutch which means the nut will be a RH thread. Parts list calls out 3/8-24 (fine thread) with no additional specifications.

The SP models (105, 125) have no key and therefore utilize a LH thread. The parts lists call out 3/8-24 (L.H.)

Mark

P.S. I found this photo showing my CP125 with the keyway in the crankshaft.

View attachment 654362

Thanks Mark. I got it off. The seal on the clutch side is shot for sure it looks like the installer didn't cover the shoulder on the crank when they installed the seal and the lip is pushed outside Go figure. I have a large air leak somewhere. Looking more tomorrow as I can't pin point it.

It appears to be coming from the bottom of the cylinder ahead of the muffler. I hope one of the welch plugs isn't leaking, if there's some under there.

That 740 could be free to 400. Just depends on who you find for a buyer. Personally, I'd never pay more than 100 for one that doesn't run and cut. Only one i would break that rule for would be a 797 or a 105-125.

That 740 could be free to 400. Just depends on who you find for a buyer. Personally, I'd never pay more than 100 for one that doesn't run and cut. Only one i would break that rule for would be a 797 or a 105-125.

Ok that’s what I was thinking too. Just wanted to have another opinion. Thanks!

McCulloch saws.jpeg

Family friend needed an ash tree cut down in the backyard and man was that wood hard! The ol McCullochs handled it with ease. The 610 handled the base limbs and the stump while the power mac 320 handled the smaller bucking on the ground. The 320 is sentimental to me because it belonged to my dad and he used it for many years. A little later he purchased a new saw because the 320 needed work and he had not the time to look into it. I found this saw packed away in the carrying case in his garage a few months ago and he told me that I could have it. After a carb rebuild, fuel line, impulse line, fuel tank cleaning, new intake boot and a top air cover (this was by far the hardest piece to find) this saw came back to life after sitting for close to 20 years! Dad was there to witness his saw finally getting back into the wood and was amazed at how well it ran. I offered it back to him but he instead told me to keep it and take care of it for him. It may be small but it's special to me. I feel privileged to be able to post my first picture among the greats here on this site. I have you guys here on the forum to thank for keeping my passion for working on chainsaws alive.

P.S. I hope to be wrapping my 10-10 restoration project soon

Thanks again fellas

Scott

Not yet, haven't gone back to it. Been busy with full size projects in the shop the last couple evenings.

Does anyone here have a picture of the piston from a true 650 with the domed piston? Trying to settle a little debate over in Facebook land

Latest posts

Back