McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted an ad in the trading post last night, fellows have been keeping me busy today...3 out of 4 have already been paid for. Jeff, if you end up getting the PM8200 I will throw in a muffler for your 2-10. Note the PS designation - that saw originally had a "self sharpening" type chain. To sharpen, all you had to do was hold the saw upside down at WOT and put a screwdriver on the adjuster to touch the stone to the chain.

IMG_3861 (640x480).jpg

Back to the saws for sale...

I decided it was just as easy to drive one down to Des Moines as to pack and ship one so here I am with ThistleIA. I am not sure how I managed to flip the photo.

20180719_170022.jpg

Here is the proper perspective, I took the PM800 (#2) and the CP70 and was able to leave them both. He already had the SP81, I will just say that you'd better use the compression release on that one.

20180719_170043.jpg

I was fortunate on the drive down to see a small tornado off to the west, find my antenna, then just to the left a wind turbine off in the distance, then a little further left and you will see the white diagonal line which is the tornado. I tried to frame it between two wind turbines but this is all a bit complicated when you are traveling 70 MPH and the cars around you are also gawking at the storm clouds just overhead that are nearly reaching down to the highway.

20180719_150711.1.jpg

Mark

Thanks Mark! I was glad to finally meet you & really enjoyed our visit.Hope didn't mind me getting a bit long winded showing off my collection & going off on a tangent or two...lol As you know I was home from work yesterday not feeling my best so I blame dehydration,the sinus meds & humidity haha.

Looking forward to our next conversation about these wonderful old beasts..... :happy:

LOL I just noticed that pic 1 was flipped...I really need new glasses I think.:laugh:

I think so. It really stunk when I sawed it. White on the inside. Looked like maple bark. I did not get it sawed all the way. May have to get out there tomorrow evening if weather permits. The guard about talked my ear off and I had already gotton a late start. It was quite hard.

Brian

So what's the typical top end for a PM800 anyway? McCulloch just says tune for the most power in the cut and not by the sound of the saw. Well, I had mine out the other day in some red oak and wasn't real impressed until I leaned it out a bit more than it was..., which turned it into a whole new saw..., but sounding oh so close to the edge. Haven't put my tach on it yet to see what it's turning but I'm well beyond the typical 'thick' four stroking -- like I mentioned, right on the edge of what I would still consider some burble before I hit the wood. BTW, I'm running 40:1 Stihl Ultra 91 octane e-free with a 24" b/c setup currently fwiw.

Sounds to me like you are right about where thes Macs like to live. Both of my 10-10s are tuned like that. They sound like they are right on the ragged edge when piss reving but they run like a scalded dog in the wood. Im still working the bugs out of my 7-10 yet.

So I just got my spare 81 running and waiting for a new decomp valve to arrive... though what the heck am I supposed to use to remove the old one as I've never removed one before and it's kinda going to need a good wd40ing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Poge, I am listening too. I know that when too lean they will really scream and seem to be a lot more powerful. Below is from a test Brian did a year ago. RPM read off the clutch (no chain). Some weeks later Brian's saw seized. Not sure if he nailed down the cause or not. Also learned later that the DE80 has a "governor" in the carb. Ron

As promised in another thread, we check the rpm's of each saw. Brian's tach is a photo cell so we measured off the clutch drum. Results were a little surprising to me given my impressions which I will get to later. Brian's 800 - almost 12,900. 850 - right at 12,500. My 800 - around 11,700 then Brian discovered that the decomp was loose; tighten it up and it jumped to 12,300. DE 80 - consistently 9,900 to 10,000. Brian leaned it some and it hit 11,300 but we put it back to where it was originally tuned.

In the cut, Bryan's 800 felt the strongest. The other three were pretty much the same despite my 800 having an 8 tooth sprocket. Given my impressions, I was a little surprised by the max rpm difference of the DE 80.

The 850 had noticeably more vibration. Brian attributed that to the NOS stiff as a board AV mounts. I didn't seem to notice the screwed together AV mounts on my 800 as I had previously. I tweaked them a little when I had it apart the other day while working on the oiler. I am not sure whether or not Brian felt any vibration difference in the 800's.

During the rpm testing, my 800 hands down put out more oil so hopefully it is finally fixed.

Now let me work on that video.

Ron

This to me is why the 800 muffler is bad. Its alot harder to hear that 4 stroking compaired to any saw ive owned or played with.. not many haha i only have 10 but yea maby ive got toast hearing already but i can never be happy with its tune allways second guessing and end up fattening it up again out of fear

I had a few minutes earlier this evening to put a tach on it and I'm just shy of 12K at 11,900. Still has some subtle four stroking but not that thick yellow signature sound I usually settle for with my Macs..., just because it sounds so badass if nothing else. I'm pretty conservative with my tuning on em in the first place just to be on the safe side and usually happy with the corresponding performance, all 10 series of some type, fwiw. The PM800 just seemed like it should have more in it so I tweaked till it got quite a bit meaner then dialed it back just a hair for that subtle burble, but not all the way back to the 10-10 type of four stroking which is obviously a different sound due to the PM800 muffler's effect anyway. Can't really compare the two for tuning purposes, at least not in my way of listening. Was just curious if there was actually a published spec somewhere for the max recommended top end. I think clutch engagement is published as 3000RPM(?) and my idle is smooth as silk at around 2200RPM with outstanding throttle response.

There is at least one baffle. Ron

Cheers Ron im still thinking of peeling it open and building the older shape inside it and maybe a new screen. Mark haha very funny I wonder how many rebuilds did that bit of info cause. Its really good to have access to an older knowlage for the survival of these old things as most of the saw mechanics around here are too young to have proper experiance of them and the company so thank you guys for hanging around on here its much appreciated.

I had a few minutes earlier this evening to put a tach on it and I'm just shy of 12K at 11,900. Still has some subtle four stroking but not that thick yellow signature sound I usually settle for with my Macs..., just because it sounds so badass if nothing else. I'm pretty conservative with my tuning on em in the first place just to be on the safe side and usually happy with the corresponding performance, all 10 series of some type, fwiw. The PM800 just seemed like it should have more in it so I tweaked till it got quite a bit meaner then dialed it back just a hair for that subtle burble, but not all the way back to the 10-10 type of four stroking which is obviously a different sound due to the PM800 muffler's effect anyway. Can't really compare the two for tuning purposes, at least not in my way of listening. Was just curious if there was actually a published spec somewhere for the max recommended top end. I think clutch engagement is published as 3000RPM(?) and my idle is smooth as silk at around 2200RPM with outstanding throttle response.

Someone on here had a bunch of rpm readings from various 82cc macs think it was Ron any way I've been tuning it the same way too rather than relying on the noise alone. in rc engines you do the same thing lean untle it gos no faster and back it off a touch. Its scarey to do it to these cos if that jug gets screwed then your up a certain creek with no paddle and a still warm parts saw haha

Worked a while on the SP125C project tonight. After getting it back from plating i discovered that the PTO side bearing and seal was over sized for some reason. Somewhere along the best I can tell the bearing had spun in the race and also the seal and wollered it out. I tried to get a bearing and seal that would fit the new opening size but no one had the size I needed. I had the dilemma of finding a bearing a little larger outside diameter and have a machine shop line bore it to fit the bearing and then the seal but could not find what I needed so I chose to shim the bearing up to fit the openingt. So it took a .004 shim to get the bearing to fit somewhat tight.

Brian

Attachments

• 0721182353.jpg
    0721182353.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 0721182353a.jpg
    0721182353a.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 0721182353b.jpg
    0721182353b.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 15
  • 0722180001.jpg