McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scored a couple other Mac things recently so I figured I'd post pics here.

I was buying a full-size yellow plastic McCulloch saw case from a guy who had a bunch of stuff and he asked me if I wanted a 'little Mac saw' that he had around. I really have no interest in newer Macs or small ones but he offered me the case and the Mac Cat for $50 so I said yes, sight unseen. Had my father pick them up for me and just got them home yesterday. Turns out the Mac Cat is a really clean looking saw and it does start and run. Haven't tested it further so I don't know if there is anything lurking as far as problems go. Even came with its own case. Might make a nice little brush cutting saw though. Lightest other one I have is a 10-10 auto with 16" bar. It isn't nearly as small as I had guessed from his description though. Also might have some type of seal issue since its case was full of oil in the bottom.

20180917_115656-XL.jpg

20180917_115706-XL.jpg

I also worked a deal on a McCulloch dealer sign from a Craigslist find some months ago. It was a long ways away (still in MN) and it only recently worked out for me to get it picked up. This is a two-sided lighted sign that appears to have been mounted on a pole originally. It will look nice someplace in my shop, perhaps near my Victory sign. That wall already has more stuff on it now but this is the most recent pic I have of it.

20180917_115759-XL.jpg

20161015_153404-XL.jpg

The way I'm going I'm going to have to build me some shelving to display my Mac collection too. Anyone have any pics of your saw shelving?

Rob

I scored a couple other Mac things recently so I figured I'd post pics here.

I was buying a full-size yellow plastic McCulloch saw case from a guy who had a bunch of stuff and he asked me if I wanted a 'little Mac saw' that he had around. I really have no interest in newer Macs or small ones but he offered me the case and the Mac Cat for $50 so I said yes, sight unseen. Had my father pick them up for me and just got them home yesterday. Turns out the Mac Cat is a really clean looking saw and it does start and run. Haven't tested it further so I don't know if there is anything lurking as far as problems go. Even came with its own case. Might make a nice little brush cutting saw though. Lightest other one I have is a 10-10 auto with 16" bar. It isn't nearly as small as I had guessed from his description though. Also might have some type of seal issue since its case was full of oil in the bottom.

20180917_115656-XL.jpg

20180917_115706-XL.jpg

I also worked a deal on a McCulloch dealer sign from a Craigslist find some months ago. It was a long ways away (still in MN) and it only recently worked out for me to get it picked up. This is a two-sided lighted sign that appears to have been mounted on a pole originally. It will look nice someplace in my shop, perhaps near my Victory sign. That wall already has more stuff on it now but this is the most recent pic I have of it.

20180917_115759-XL.jpg

20161015_153404-XL.jpg

The way I'm going I'm going to have to build me some shelving to display my Mac collection too. Anyone have any pics of your saw shelving?

Rob

The little MacCAt and it's many brothers have a weak filler neck on the oil tank. They are quite often cracked.

Nice shop!

The little MacCAt and it's many brothers have a weak filler neck on the oil tank. They are quite often cracked.

Nice shop!

Ah, I'll have to look for that. Wonder if that can be fixed with some type of glue or epoxy?

Thanks for the compliment and the information.

Rob

I took some pictures today to provide a context when Brian and I talk about cutting at the woodlot (sorry no MACs visible just some of their work). Old practice bomb manufacturing plant. The building is packed with ready to go firewood. Season opens first weekend in October. It is hard to believe that all of this will probably be gone by Christmas - seasoned or not. Pile in the middle are quartered rounds waiting to be split. That pile is around 10' high. To the right are some of the MAC rounds, some 4'+. Ron

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

Those vertical ones look like a nice idea. However, the way my saws leak around the fuel cap I'm not sure that would be the greatest idea. But maybe my new cork fuel cap gaskets have swelled enough by now to not leak.

Rob

Fuel level is usually below the filler hole by the time they get put back on the rack. Oil stains on the floor - not so pretty. Ron

Rob - another problem I've had with those models is the oil lines (and fuel lines) decompose. You will have to remove the starter side of the saw carefully since the primer is secured in that cover, look at the oil line between the oil tank and the pump. I have been into several lately that had the oil line fail. If the oil line has failed, might as well replace the fuel lines as well.

Mark

Rob - another problem I've had with those models is the oil lines (and fuel lines) decompose. You will have to remove the starter side of the saw carefully since the primer is secured in that cover, look at the oil line between the oil tank and the pump. I have been into several lately that had the oil line fail. If the oil line has failed, might as well replace the fuel lines as well.

Mark

Thanks for the tips, as usual!

Rob

Ah, I'll have to look for that. Wonder if that can be fixed with some type of glue or epoxy?

Thanks for the compliment and the information.

Rob

Rob,

I'm not sure if the tank is polyethylene or polypropylene and I don't know how to tell. If the neck is cracked, no known adhesive will stick. The option is plastic welding.

I've had luck running a soldering iron over cracks and small hole to repair them. A few guys claim to have had some success with JB weld but that's like hoping it will stay in place.
I know there are plastic welding kits so you can add material and make it strong but I have no idea how expensive they are.
If anyone has found a sure fire method to repair plastic tanks, it would nice to share.

Rob,

I'm not sure if the tank is polyethylene or polypropylene and I don't know how to tell. If the neck is cracked, no known adhesive will stick. The option is plastic welding.

I've had luck running a soldering iron over cracks and small hole to repair them. A few guys claim to have had some success with JB weld but that's like hoping it will stay in place.
I know there are plastic welding kits so you can add material and make it strong but I have no idea how expensive they are.
If anyone has found a sure fire method to repair plastic tanks, it would nice to share.
I have used a large tipped soldering iron an cut up pieces of an oil bottle as filler material to repair plastic tanks. The whole filler neck on my dads old arctic cat snowmobile was broken completely off and I fixed it that way. Still holding 5 years later.

I looked at the oil filler neck on the Mac Cat tonight and can't see any sign of a crack. I'll check the line(s) like Mark suggested.

Rob

Rob,

princess has lil butane fired "weld" kit. $70. works ok, biggest prob is deciding what fill to use. comes w/4 types.

have also used soldering irons & zapstraps for fill.

Hey gentlemen I've been reading the thread from the start up to page 460 something and came across an old thread from Randy about the dead of night and the spiders in his brain. Very cool stuff great reading so for any newcomers go n have a look. Anyway did he ever rite that book? And could anyone point me in the direction of more of his stuff if possible please?

Oh and very nice rack Ron

princess has lil butane fired "weld" kit. $70. works ok, biggest prob is deciding what fill to use. comes w/4 types.

have also used soldering irons & zapstraps for fill.

I've read about trimmer line being used as filler/weld material sorta like solder for plastics. Seems logical enough. Guess it would all depend on the compatibility of the materials..., eh? Have never had occasion to try welding plastic. Always figure it would be futile anyway. Just recently saw a vid of a guy repairing a Stihl fuel tank and you could barely even tell there was a repair done to it when he was finished. Your brake flag repair nice, too. Kinda changed my mind about the whole process.

Latest posts

Back