McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SP80 has a brake. Short cover. It's a more compact design.

I'll have to dump the fuel and oil out of the 8200 and weigh each of them. I think the the biggest diff in weight might be found in the 8200 cylinder shrouds, front and rear which are considerably thicker than the typical ones found on the 10 series.
Hard to say as often perceived weight is different than real weight. The 8200 is very top heavy.

A pic of the SP80

View attachment 684675

Nice saw i really like those covers. Is that a repaint? Yea the shrouds are cast mag 3mm thick compared to thin sheet metal. i still dont find the weight a problem and I'm a small guy although not in the forest with it. When cutting on a pile of logs the weight is kinda nice

The SP80 has a brake. Short cover. It's a more compact design.

I'll have to dump the fuel and oil out of the 8200 and weigh each of them. I think the the biggest diff in weight might be found in the 8200 cylinder shrouds, front and rear which are considerably thicker than the typical ones found on the 10 series.
Hard to say as often perceived weight is different than real weight. The 8200 is very top heavy.

A pic of the SP80

View attachment 684675

I suspect the tank is slightly heavier - notice the band around the 8200. My 800s don’t have that - not sure when it started but the 805s, DE80s and 8200s that I have seen all have it. Many of the 805s and DE80s also have the additional skid plate. I assume this had to do with fire hazards due to the muffler temperatures but IDK. Ron

Yea thats what i recon too. Bloody awesome saw have ya got 1?. I did look at getting a can made up but 40 bux for a small can seems a bit much. The 800 has an odd colour very different than my other 10 series saws.
well i think i have one lol has a black tank but 800 air cover so could be 805 the numbers are not on the tank so does have the band around it so who the hell knows what it is but i like it! do have a legit 805..as far as the paint guess depends on how bad you want it to match

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

The fire hazard thing is what killed horizontal cylinder saws in general is it not? I know the 700 leaves a little charred smoking patch every time it gets left idling for a few minutes. Was doing some tree pruning and clean up in the back yard (yes with a 70cc saw haha) and now theres little dead patches of grass everywhere

well i think i have one lol has a black tank but 800 air cover so could be 805 the numbers are not on the tank so does have the band around it so who the hell knows what it is but i like it! do have a legit 805..as far as the paint guess depends on how bad you want it to match

Aww well its a great saw whatever it is

Mighty nice, Tim. Do I detect some hacksaw action on what used to be a full wrap?

It sure was. Came that way. Paint was rough to missing as well.

Nice saw i really like those covers. Is that a repaint? Yea the shrouds are cast mag 3mm thick compared to thin sheet metal. i still don't find the weight a problem and I'm a small guy although not in the forest with it. When cutting on a pile of logs the weight is kinda nice

I did paint it. I didn't have to remove much old paint. Time looked after that. I couldn't resist I got that anda decent Homelite 902 for $75. I wasn't sure what to expect but it is a real power house. AF cover is wrong as the one on it is for a winter set up.

I just weighed a few saws with my trusty electronic fish scale.power head with brake cover attached. Oil and fuel out.
All have a spike except the 8200.
Not sure how accurate the scale is. I checked at against some certified scale meat weights and it was within an ounce.

Weights in lbs and Kg

PM700 Long brake cover 15.5 lb 7.03 Kg (late model black and yellow w/grey crankcase)
7-10A Short brake cover 13.9 lb 6.31 Kg
SP80 Short brake cover 16.1 lb 7.31 Kg
8200 long brake cover 19.2 lb 8.71 Kg

I wasn't surprised that the weight was higher but that'a a heavy 5 cube saw!.

It sure was. Came that way. Paint was rough to missing as well.

I did paint it. I didn't have to remove much old paint. Time looked after that. I couldn't resist I got that anda decent Homelite 902 for $75. I wasn't sure what to expect but it is a real power house. AF cover is wrong as the one on it is for a winter set up.

I just weighed a few saws with my trusty electronic fish scale.power head with brake cover attached. Oil and fuel out.
All have a spike except the 8200.
Not sure how accurate the scale is. I checked at against some certified scale meat weights and it was within an ounce.

Weights in lbs and Kg

PM700 Long brake cover 15.5 lb 7.03 Kg (late model black and yellow w/grey crankcase)
7-10A Short brake cover 13.9 lb 6.31 Kg
SP80 Short brake cover 16.1 lb 7.31 Kg
8200 long brake cover 19.2 lb 8.71 Kg

I wasn't surprised that the weight was higher but that'a a heavy 5 cube saw!.

Very interesting

The fire hazard thing is what killed horizontal cylinder saws in general is it not? I know the 700 leaves a little charred smoking patch every time it gets left idling for a few minutes. Was doing some tree pruning and clean up in the back yard (yes with a 70cc saw haha) and now theres little dead patches of grass everywhere
nothing wrong with some over kill

really? guess i got lucky i have those and a pile of parts double eagle and they are in good shape

Aw well jolly good then yea it didn't take me long to realize they are a hard to find item hence the repair job also it costs alot to ship down here so unless it's cheap or needed then other stuff takes prioritie

Aw well jolly good then yea it didn't take me long to realize they are a hard to find item hence the repair job also it costs alot to ship down here so unless it's cheap or needed then other stuff takes prioritie
i know how you feel think i over pay for everything i get mac related hard to find way down in south georgia have to pay to play i guess

Back