McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fixed the pic Ron anyway did some research and found it while the great aboristsite black out was on haha. Did more research and got a whole lot more respect for that company now

i know how you feel think i over pay for everything i get mac related hard to find way down in south georgia have to pay to play i guess

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yeap its worth it though thinking more about it prices really are not too bad. E.g. my mate bought a muffler for his stihl was 80 bux down at the dealer and I just bought a NOS sp81 muffler for the same price.

50 year old File- N- Joint. May be Nygran (pre Granberg) unit. From pics I can find, they were painted yellow.

They are very good filing fixtures. Pretty quick as well.

I'm going to try my best to grab it think it's a nice bit history and wil go well with the old saws.
Its takin me 5 years to get good enough on the file where I can fix my mates awfull chains up and identify whats rong with them eg no hook bad angles no gullet but I had to study about it and there not interested a saw is just a tool to them. Buckin billys vids also helped out too. Hopfully this little tool will make a chain that cuts "ok" to wow that chain cuts nice.

Any way whats up with the site crash thing does this happen often? Its been dam neer 20 hours for me

Not sure. Maintenance, server issues or a hack. Everyone gets a bit antsy when this happens as there was a bad hack a few years ago that resulted in a lot of damage and the loss of many of the pics that were hard loaded.
Lots of good "how to" info was lost.
The hack went on for some time. and many members migrated to other sites.

On the other hand I see a fair bit of sites that go off line for a while for whatever reason.

Not sure. Maintenance, server issues or a hack. Everyone gets a bit antsy when this happens as there was a bad hack a few years ago that resulted in a lot of damage and the loss of many of the pics that were hard loaded.
Lots of good "how to" info was lost.
The hack went on for some time. and many members migrated to other sites.

On the other hand I see a fair bit of sites that go off line for a while for whatever reason.

Ahh right so thats why alot pics dont work on the old threads what a shame eh.

Fixed the pic Ron anyway did some research and found it while the great aboristsite black out was on haha. Did more research and got a whole lot more respect for that company now

Yeap its worth it though thinking more about it prices really are not too bad. E.g. my mate bought a muffler for his stihl was 80 bux down at the dealer and I just bought a NOS sp81 muffler for the same price.

I'm going to try my best to grab it think it's a nice bit history and wil go well with the old saws.
Its takin me 5 years to get good enough on the file where I can fix my mates awfull chains up and identify whats rong with them eg no hook bad angles no gullet but I had to study about it and there not interested a saw is just a tool to them. Buckin billys vids also helped out too. Hopfully this little tool will make a chain that cuts "ok" to wow that chain cuts nice.

Any way whats up with the site crash thing does this happen often? Its been dam neer 20 hours for me
i watch billy to hes pretty good learned i few things from him but i had to give up the hand filing just couldnt do it right so got me a bench grinder deal come out right every time now[emoji2]

i watch billy to hes pretty good learned i few things from him but i had to give up the hand filing just couldnt do it right so got me a bench grinder deal come out right every time now[emoji2]

Keep at it man you can touch up a chain faster than changing one out most of the time unless it's really dull

Keep at man you can touch up a chain faster than changing one out most of the time unless it's really dull
my problem is im right handed and left eye dominate i can do one side good but not so much on the other its weird and drives me nutts but im a nascar pit crew when it comes to changing them out

my problem is im right handed and left eye dominate i can do one side good but not so much on the other its weird and drives me nutts but im a nascar pit crew when it comes to changing them out

Well if that works then sweet. Bar length i spose comes into it my biggest is 24 and seems to take a heap longer than a 20 or 18 so a 28 or 30 must take ages to file up compared to swapping out a chain.

Its funny you say about 1 side is better than the other and then cuts pissed mine are allways a tad different on one side too but have found alot of the time it's the depth gauge hight makes them cut pissed cos youl end up a bit shorter on 1 side. I think the FOP style gauge can take that away as you would have seen with billy you can have 1 side way way miles shorter cutters and varying too yet set the hights relative to each cutter and they cut fine n dandy.

One area of Billy Ray's technique that can frustrate a new free hand filer is getting carried away with cleaning up the gullet. Going hog wild with 'the boat' will result in the file riding too low on the cutter once you straighten out the file and and you'll only be getting the bottom of the cutting angle along with creating way too much hook. One thing he does that helps is use a 7/32's file on Stihl chain which would typically call for a 13/64's file. Doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it is. Once you get a little time on that filing jig you'll definitely notice where you can improve here and there with your free hand filing.

One area of Billy Ray's technique that can frustrate a new free hand filer is getting carried away with cleaning up the gullet. Going hog wild with 'the boat' will result in the file riding too low on the cutter once you straighten out the file and and you'll only be getting the bottom of the cutting angle along with creating way too much hook. One thing he does that helps is use a 7/32's file on Stihl chain which would typically call for a 13/64's file. Doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it is. Once you get a little time on that filing jig you'll definitely notice where you can improve here and there with your free hand filing.

Yea thats what im hopeing too Poge. Yea once ya see too much hook its obvious whats rong if ya look at it and then ya get used to how much file go's under the cutter from above. But gota file away alot of chains before ya pick that stuff up eh for me it's been 5 years of burning firewood and filing.

I'm still not really sure about his boat idea I clean out the gullet just with pressure in the right direction

Well if that works then sweet. Bar length i spose comes into it my biggest is 24 and seems to take a heap longer than a 20 or 18 so a 28 or 30 must take ages to file up compared to swapping out a chain.

Its funny you say about 1 side is better than the other and then cuts pissed mine are allways a tad different on one side too but have found alot of the time it's the depth gauge hight makes them cut pissed cos youl end up a bit shorter on 1 side. I think the FOP style gauge can take that away as you would have seen with billy you can have 1 side way way miles shorter cutters and varying too yet set the hights relative to each cutter and they cut fine n dandy.
dont have but two 20s have quite a few 28s and a couple of 32s and a 34 and it does take a while with my affliction to brush em up cant hold the angle on the right almost always screw it up some but i do take way more macs than i need so mostly just grab another one[emoji3] then bench them when i get back or before the next time..would like to figure the hand file deal out one day

View attachment 684254
This is in Globe AZ. About 90 miles from me.

dont have but two 20s have quite a few 28s and a couple of 32s and a 34 and it does take a while with my affliction to brush em up cant hold the angle on the right almost always screw it up some but i do take way more macs than i need so mostly just grab another one[emoji3] then bench them when i get back or before the next time..would like to figure the hand file deal out one day

I sure don't profess to be a good filer but going slow makes a big difference in keeping the file straight and even. Using a good depth gauge that only accounts for the depth gauge you're filing makes a huge difference.
The Oregon ones that take several cutters into account only work if they're all the same length.

The 805 parts saw I bought here primarily for the magnesium parts arrived today. It looks like it might just cleanup and be a runner with a new piston and replacement of the few missing parts. If so, I will be on the hunt for another parts saw ... wait isn’t that how I came to have so many saws - taking pity on a random salvageable MAC? Does it ever end?

Ron

Yea that be nice to get a few more and just grab another. I like that idea less wear on a saw too

The 805 parts saw I bought here primarily for the magnesium parts arrived today. It looks like it might just cleanup and be a runner with a new piston and replacement of the few missing parts. If so, I will be on the hunt for another parts saw ... wait isn’t that how I came to have so many saws - taking pity on a random salvageable MAC? Does it ever end?

Ron

You sound like me. I bought a saw for the bar and chain. Had a look and after crank bearings, sprocket bearing, piston ring, seals, and a replacement bar and chain I had a runner. It will be heading down the road at a tidy profit (I hope).

Ron
no sir it doesn't!!...shes real fine that 805!! wouldnt mind seeing it when your done mr ron

Tim, my troubles all started when I acquired a NOS old model 82cc cylinder and a NOS late model 82cc cylinder. My quest to acquire a part saw to put at least one of these cylinders to work resulted in me acquiring two 850s, a SP81E, a DE80 and a 555. With advice from Mark and others here I rebuilt three of them - a 850, the DE80 and the 555. Sold them on eBay. Gave the other two to two teenagers on AS. The one who got the 850 rebuilt it and posted for a while. The one who got the 81E discovered girls; I don’t know what he did with the saw. After that they just kept coming. I have parted with three 82cc MACs, a project SP125C, two PM6As and a project SP70. Still have too many but can’t bring myself to sell them ... yet.

Ron

I sure don't profess to be a good filer but going slow makes a big difference in keeping the file straight and even. Using a good depth gauge that only accounts for the depth gauge you're filing makes a huge difference.
The Oregon ones that take several cutters into account only work if they're all the same length.
thats why i like my bench grinder set it up for the chain and roll on everything turns out the same after the first one i messed up! but after that one all gravy thinking about getting a diamond blade for it..the hand file is all me like that when im at work can cut with a skill saw real straight left handed but not as good right handed

I should have made sure the 125 would go run before I loaded it up but I knew the 805 was running good. If you bring enough saws the wood will get cut!!

Got the 125 going today. I let it sit with gas in it for a couple days and put some gas down the carb and she is going again. Carb must be a bit gummed up.

Back