McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not being able to find a pic that has the same air box cover/tank color scheme, I'm still sort of inclined to lean that way myself for lack of anything else to lead me elsewhere. Didn't go check it out, either. The seller evidently had a few other nibbles and got greedy. Was asking $125/OBO in the ad but was trying to start a bidding skirmish starting at $150 when I contacted him. Said no thanks and will wait to see if it lasts the weekend. The ad has been up for a few days already.

Would there be any clues in any numbers stamped into the bottom of the case?

The 640 is the only non-super series with that style top tank. Mine had the opposite color scheme on the fuel tank, I am guessing the tank top on the one above may have been changed at some point.

DSCN0534.jpg
This is an 895 but the 840 has the same style flywheel housing.

DSCN5989.JPG

Another 640,this one is all yellow and has a Roger Bennet 640 decal (I got this saw from Roger)

DSC01202.JPG

Both 640's, the 840, and the 895 all have the automatic oil pump driven off the sprocket shaft. I have an 890 in a box in pieces up in the attic, I don't remember if it has the automatic oil pump or not but my guess is that it does if it is all original.

Mark

I added some additional McCulloch yellow this week, this piece will be on display when I get my "museum" together next year.

View attachment 690306

View attachment 690307

Not really a McCulloch power plant in this one.

View attachment 690309

View attachment 690310

Mark

Cool mark, I’ve owned one of those generators for a decade or so now. Not sure about how many hours on it but I use it when the power is out or times like when building our house. That generator built my house and then my parents. In 2011 when the bad tornado outbreak came through, it ran for 8 days. I changed the oil twice in those 8 days.

I’ve done nothing to it at all. Not a carb cleaning or even a filter change. I paid $350 used and it’s been a good one.

It’s no where near the quality of a Honda but a 5k Honda is 5x the price. The motor is Jen Feng if I remember right.

Shown here with it’s optional cord hanger.
f0bd81bb8404f02b04a6e523ecffe290.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the mystery saw input. And thanks for all the pics, Mark. (Nice generator, too!)

Would be a nice saw to add to the yellow herd, but I think I'll hafta pass on this one. Would have severely cut into my PM850 fund anyway -- and we can't have that happen, now can we?

Found my SP81 sticker. Forgot he sent me the goose window sticker, too. You can easily see what I meant about the fuel cap hole. He had some sort of issue with his circle cutter and did it by hand. Asked if it was ok first and I said sure since the cap will hide the irregularities anyway. The pic angle creates a slight skew in the details that isn't really there, also. All in all he did a nice job with a layered approach and final clear layer for added protection. Should hold up well once applied..., provided I follow the directions correctly and don't screw it up.

Hey Pogo, the decals look awesome. Who made them for you?

And Scott - I got the decals from Joe Salva who is Sugar Creek Supply. Great guy and easy to work with. Does it on the side which can take a while since he makes almost everything to order from his pre-designed templates and graphics. https://www.sugarcreeksupply.net/collections/decal-sets
Hey Pogo, Sorry I asked you again...I didn't see the reply you sent this morning. Thanks for getting back to me, I have been trying to get sugar creek to make decals for my 10-10 for about a year now. I knew he was busy based on the amount of time it took to get an email response back and I understand how scarce time can become when you have a primary job to take care of while also juggling a side job. I finally found and ordered the decals off E-bay, I felt bad that I could not support his vintage decal business. But I had no idea he had a website! Now that I know, I'll be sure to go through the website for other decals. Thanks for sharing the link Pogo.

Scott

Today's MAC project brought to you by Two Stooges Bucking, an affiliated company with Blind Squirrel Falling.
IMG_3934.JPG

Brian started on the big end with a SuperPro 125C and I started on the small end with a ProMac 800.
IMG_3936.JPG

Some branches being shorten with PM610.
IMG_3948.JPG

Some fancy piece work with the PM610. PM800 resting after its shower.
IMG_3951.JPG

Final Result.
IMG_3966.JPG

MAC Tip of the Day:
Never let a maniac with a SP125C get upstream of you. Brian has some ugly pictures of what that will do to man and machine.

Ron

Of all days to leave your cap at home. That 125 was throwing some chips.

Good to see you two working together so nicely! Now,who's gonna be the one busting their back loading that wood up?Lol
Ed

Neither. The pickup crew with the tractor have been notified.

Brian and I worked together pretty good. Not just anyone could cover me in sawdust and make me laugh instead of mad.

Ron

Beats my skinny little pine by a long shot.

20181215_125129.jpg

20181215_161735.jpg

But it was a beautiful day for December, almost 50 degrees yet the ground was frozen underneath so I took advantage of it to get this job taken care of. My 10 year old grandson lives just down the block and was very happy to come lend a hand.

Mark

Latest posts

Back