McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a free utility from AnvSoft that I've had for years. Simple but flexible. Displays an annoying ad for the pay version now and again, but nothing that impedes the functionality. https://www.anvsoft.com/pdf-merger-free.html

Perfect for converting jpg's of text and illustrations to PDF if you don't have a scanner handy. Also fast if you're copying a large number of pages using the jpg method for later conversion. Take a pic, flip a page, take a pic, flip a page..., just like the spies used to do it on TV. LOL

Oh man, I just made an order from sugarcreeksupply for a 7-10A decal....oh well looks like I will have to make another one (there international shipping isn't too bad...those stencils look nice....thanks for that Jethro....thanks to the others who got some original pics as well.

Are you referring to a bar like this (with carlton lettering - not sure if paint or decal) or can you get totally plain Carlton bars that suit the mac 10's
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARLTON-BAR-CHAINSAW-COMBO-SUIT-selected-MCCULLOCH-20-INCH-3-8-X70-links-x050/302838483300?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Umm that to me looks like an Oregon power match with carlton branding now someone else will know more about that but the carlton bars now are effectively Windsor speed tips same as what mac had as there "speed mac" bar. Blount owns carlton and Windsor and Oregon too but binned Windsor. Carlton was a chain manufacturer and as far as I know never made there own bars and blount must have decided to do a carlton brand bar perhaps before Windsor was wound up I'm not to sure. Would like to know though

I was able to add that McCulloch stencil to my other order and save shipping cost so thanks again...super happy about finding that stencil as it saves me chasing an OEM bar out of the states and will give the saw a nicer look....now I can get any bar and refinish it.

I was able to add that McCulloch stencil to my other order and save shipping cost so thanks again...super happy about finding that stencil as it saves me chasing an OEM bar out of the states and will give the saw a nicer look....now I can get any bar and refinish it.

Awesome what design of stencil did you buy? Is $85us posted cheap for a new speed tip and chain? He does sugi Hara for not much more too. Not sure what they cost in Australia
Screenshot_20190614-180936_Samsung Internet.jpg

I just bought the "The Professional replaceable sprocket tip" one....I figured it had the same McCulloch logo as the basic ones and if I didn't get a replaceable sprocket tip bar I could just leave that bit out...at the end of the day who really cares, I'm just doing it for myself for my shed, but I do want a certain look which is not to have an aftermarket bar logo (especially a cheap one). I'm not going to buy a fancy bar as I have no intention of using the saw, just need to find one with minimal branding that I can remove otherwise I have to sand it back.

The McCulloch yellow is starting to win me over, so im going to do the top of the saw in gloss yellow with a satin black clutch / bar cover to make the yellow stand out more....I'll paint that plastic flywheel guard yellow and yellow up the McCulloch emblems on the sides and call it a day. I got a John Deere yellow powder after reading some McCulloch posts but I think I got the colour for later models but once again who really cares.

The boys did it again! The Pro 10-10 from 1976 and the SP81E from 1977 tore up some black oak a couple weeks ago in the warm Northern Michigan weather! Loved every second of it..

That's a really really nice photo mate well done I think that picture deserves a display somewhere nice a callander even. Just wow I hope you don't mind but I'm gonna print that and put it in my shed. Looks like a lovely place to be bouncing the ringa ting ting of old old saws off the trees

Well had a nice Mac day today spent a good couple hours or more getting the 32inch chain just nice and yeah cut better today still need to lean on it more than I'd like. Rakers are on soft setting its carlton semi chisel got lots of hook I dunno what's wrong with it my 24 oregon with the safety's removed cuts really well next week I'll grab a full chisel n see if that's any better.20190616_151420.jpg
The 700 came out 2day and my favorite 7-10 the other 7-10 is having a rest plus I flogged the carb for the 800 at the moment. 20190616_135409.jpg
Very messy trees the old macro's but not bad firewood splits really well. My grandfather was using my husky 350 (he's 72 so fair enough but he often runs the 10-10) so the 7-10 gets limbing duty as the 10-10 is filling up the cylinder with bar oil at the mo but that's ok some of the limbs are over 20inchs and 5 trunks at 24odd Haha. It's like storm clearing nearly there's branches everywhere in all directions and the big trunk is way up in the air supported by limbs so that will be fun next weekend.
20190615_161001.jpg
Was digging around an old buggers shed the other day (he has a 250 and kinda got me curious about the old yellow saws a couple years ago) helping him with a few things and found a 20 inch Oregon bar D176 was tired and needed some love well a couple hours dressed it up and stripped off the last of the nasty old paint and rust and it's good to go again. I use a square and a angle grinder with a cut off wheel too deburr and dress my bars up. If you're not handy with a grinder you may make a mess I spose but yea easy as set the bar in a vice and get some light from 1 end and run the square along and watch the light and as a gap opens up then skim skim and check again over n over. After its straight square and deburred clean out the groove then get to work on the sproket need to wash all the dung out of the bearing how ever you see fit. I'm starting to like hard nose bars more and more you can resurrect them from all kinds of states Haha I had 1 that the drivers were bottoming out so dug it out deeper with a cut off disk and and played around until an 058 would fit. Yeah that kinda bar is probably toast to most but it's another few hours though so why not eh.

Apologies for my terrible writing and punctuation I'm a welder and job cards/job descriptions is about as far as my writing goes lol.

Hey Ron what's been happening with blind squirrel these days haven't heard much from you and Brian for a while you guys ok? Or don't ya cut in summer much.

20190616_201848.jpg 20190616_201747.jpg 20190616_201623.jpg

Why won't this chain cut very well what I'm I doing wrong or could be better it just doesn't feed happily like the 24 which is also semi or is just how a bigger bar cuts? It seems I need to pull way to much. It throws big chips and cuts straight the rakers are spot on the soft side on a husky gauge

View attachment 741628 View attachment 741629 View attachment 741630

Why won't this chain cut very well what I'm I doing wrong or could be better it just doesn't feed happily like the 24 which is also semi or is just how a bigger bar cuts? It seems I need to pull way to much. It throws big chips and cuts straight the rakers are spot on the soft side on a husky gauge
Your putting your file to deep in the gullet , file buy hand and drive it up almost lifting the tooth out of the bar while rotating the file away from the tooth
Sounds complicated but I hand filed hundreds of saws last year (at work) and that technique has always worked out well, oh and throw your raker depth gauge in the scrap pile I'm pretty sure they are useless (my opinion)

Latest posts

Back