McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When things get a little slow this winter you oughta tear into it & see if you can get it going again.
Ed

Yeah it runs fine but not sure if it oils yet and a few bits are loose and the clutch bearing is a bit nasty. Just hard to spend time on that ugly heavy thing when theres 6 lovely 10 series saws beside it to service and stare at hahaha. To me the 600 series represents the death of mac and black n decker tied the noose with that saw look at husky saws of the time or poulans if you want to stay American. If they had really properly developed a weapon they may have competed against the imports. To me I will always look at the 610 and ask in my head "why oh why what were you guys thinking?

Slow and steady stumper that can be left unattended and still get the job done?

Yeah it's not that there a bad saw at all in fact quite the opposite but at that time what choice was there to go doing professional saw work with from mac 60cc yet it's as heavy as an 82cc. Why lug that around the woods. The 82cc at that time was 10 years old.

Joe Smith goes and buys a new stihl cos that's what the loggers use even though his 290 ain't no pro saw but it looks the part and if anyone asks he says "yeah I run a stihl" once mac was gone from the woods that was the end of it.

What wins on Sunday sells on Monday.

Can't blame black n decker eather as 9 out of 10 saws are homeowner saws so they went and chased that and forgot the rest.

Porsche loses money on there 911 but only sells a heap of SUVs because of that 911

Still great saws for bargain hunters looking for 60cc's of torque that can pull a 24" bar all day long. Don't think they were ever intended to replace or compete with any pro style saw..., just a brute force consumer saw. They go for 50 ~ 60 bux in my area all the time now. I have four or five 600 series and didn't pay for any of them. Not even sure how I ended up with em. But if I had a choice I'd grab an 029 any day just for the ergonomics alone.

Then again, a bargain is a bargain any day of the week and free is free!

they were the only place you could buy parts at pretty high prices.

Yeah, quite the trend setter. And now everyone is copying them thanks to ebay. Never thought that one day I'd have the privilege of paying $15 for a Homelite Super2 carb gasket. LOL

The Mc cinder blocks bring $100 to $200 here. I would like one as a curiosity but not at that price.

A friend has one of that series in his garage that a kid dropped off 1-1/2 years ago for him to fix and never came back. Maybe I can wrangle that one cheap.

The kid had taken the saw to a repair shop and they told him they couldn't get parts but he should look for someone who could. They said it was very heavy so it must be a good saw.

I suppose they were right as they do have a good following.

You know that really irritates me that the saw shops tell everyone they can't get parts for the Macs because they've been out of business for over 25 yrs.,yet Bob Johnson is still buying up distributorships,not dealerships.The saw shops don't want to service any of the older saws,they just want to sell a new saw.
Ed

They are good saws really the saw shops here sold gazillions of them and there is still a heap around cutting wood.

I'm grumpy about that too Ed as people just chucked them in the trash after being told that mind you I got a pm700 that only needed love out of the trash because of it.

I'd love to get my hands on a PM700,but around here they go for a premium buck.I watched a couple of em on Ebay for a bit.They were pretty much parts saws,but those can be revived too.Anyway they went for around $200 or more if I remember correctly.
Ed

I'd love to get my hands on a PM700,but around here they go for a premium buck.I watched a couple of em on Ebay for a bit.They were pretty much parts saws,but those can be revived too.Anyway they went for around $200 or more if I remember correctly.
Ed

S##t had two here on trade me in the last month and were very very low hour dam neer nos one went for 410nz and the other went for 340nz. Were pristine saws very sad I'm not in a saw buying position at the mo.

Put a couple tanks through my 700 last weekend and it's still going great despite a bit of scoring will struggle to stall a hungry 20inch.

Interesting using the 7-10 with the plastic dipped handle vs the milk line rubber on the 700 huge huge difference that tube is really good stuff so if anyone is after any let me know its costs 8 bucks to buy a length for a mac handle and 16 to post it nz dollars ofcourse. Its not that cheap cos it's a different wall thicknes than usual

I'm not sure this is the right stuff but here is one product they offer:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?p=71505&cat=2,2160,40710

I have heard, but never tried, the cushion tape they use to wrap bicycle handle bars. I had one 10-10S I believe that I was able to slip a piece of heater hose over the handle using some water and dish soap as a lubricant. The fellow who bought the saw liked the cushion.

Mark

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, that is a late model (Jenn Feng?) McCulloch chainsaw in the advertisement for the wrap.

I have heard, but never tried, the cushion tape they use to wrap bicycle handle bars. .

I've used bicycle handle bar tape (cork) on a saw with a full wrap that was welded together at the bottom. Its pretty comfy and holds up all right. Its not very resistant to abrasion though, and some time bouncing around in the back of the truck was enough to tear it.

For handles that aren't welded loops, I use glue backed heat shrink at 3:1 ratio. It goes on pretty thick and rigid, so less cushion, but the look is spot on.

Used to use a lot of this stuff in a past life for sealing CATV line splices and connections. Ends up fairly soft (relatively speaking) after obtaining its final fit. Has an inner dielectric//sealant that provides a bit of additional "cushion" as well that will 'ooze' out the ends slightly as a seal but is easily trimmed off after drying for a clean look. Could also be used over another softer material if desired. Once installed it won't come loose without cutting the entire length with a very sharp utility knife to then split it open to peel it off. Conforms well to corners and bends. Comes in 48" lengths in various diameters for different sizes of cable and typically has a 3:1 shrink ratio. Fairly cheap and widely available. And if you happen to know a cable guy who does line work or construction, well, you're all set.

Canusa was superior to the competition in all respects back in the day and probably still is. It's what I would use.

https://www.tonercable.com/products/cftv-heat-shrinkable-tubing.php

I'm not sure this is the right stuff but here is one product they offer:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?p=71505&cat=2,2160,40710

I have heard, but never tried, the cushion tape they use to wrap bicycle handle bars. I had one 10-10S I believe that I was able to slip a piece of heater hose over the handle using some water and dish soap as a lubricant. The fellow who bought the saw liked the cushion.

Mark

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, that is a late model (Jenn Feng?) McCulloch chainsaw in the advertisement for the wrap.

That's the wrap Lee is referring to.

1 of the local saw/mower shops has a huge maybe 4 or 5 inch thick McCulloch bible I took in a 7-10 to show them as they didn't believe I had so many and still run them as main saws. They really had forgotten most of the knowledge about them kinda sad and the younger guys had never seen them at all only mccinder blocks. Any way 1 guy went to an old set of draws and pulled it out from the very bottom and started going through it its a huge book with a black vinyl cover should I be trying to get this? Its probably reasonably safe there for a while yet but would hate them to biff it when having a dung out.

DSC02854.JPG DSC02856.JPG DSC03917.JPG DSC03640.JPG

Like this?

Latest posts

Back