McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi gang,I've got an early 10-10A that quit running on me back in the early spring.It wasn't pulling fuel,so I pulled the carb & found that the metering diaphragm wasn't hooked onto the lever.I hooked it back on & thought I'd solved my problem,then I had no spark.I put a new plug in & thought once again that I'd solved my problem.Still the saw wouldn't fire up.I did a compression test & got 120 psi.Yes it's low,but being piston ported tat should be plenty to have the saw fire up.I pulled the FW & found the points to be blackened.I cleaned them up good with emery cloth & put them back in & had beautiful blue spark,but still the saw won't fire up.Any ideas?I'm stumped.
Ed

Thanks Vinny View attachment 752132
Those danarm saws look quite nice really and yes 50 pesos for a runner is just right in my book. And yeah never even considered finding a 2-10 was not in my list especially all the hate the bullfrog gets. I'll get a 16" bar on it n see how she cuts in the weekend

I watched a youtuber convert to an sdc and all he did was tap new holes to fit the walbro and lincages and put some short cap screws where the bullfrog was mounted
What is the 'bullfrog' is that a type of carbie?

Yes,the "bullfrog" was used on the early 2-10's before Mac started using SDC's on the saws.The bullfrog is a mini flatback carb as I understand it.I hear they can be a pain to get tuned properly,but once they're tuned they're supposed to be quite snappy.
Ed

Hi gang,I've got an early 10-10A that quit running on me back in the early spring.It wasn't pulling fuel,so I pulled the carb & found that the metering diaphragm wasn't hooked onto the lever.I hooked it back on & thought I'd solved my problem,then I had no spark.I put a new plug in & thought once again that I'd solved my problem.Still the saw wouldn't fire up.I did a compression test & got 120 psi.Yes it's low,but being piston ported tat should be plenty to have the saw fire up.I pulled the FW & found the points to be blackened.I cleaned them up good with emery cloth & put them back in & had beautiful blue spark,but still the saw won't fire up.Any ideas?I'm stumped.
Ed

Check the carb again Ed.

What is the 'bullfrog' is that a type of carbie?

Yeah the 1-10 and 2-10 had them think the 2-10 super had an sdc. I'm away from the saw so can't grab a picture but yeah there a pain in the bum and tricky for parts I don't know much else as they have never had my interest in fact always thought hmm must remember to stay away from a bullfrog saw lol

As I understand it, most of the earlier 10 Series saws had magnesium tanks which certainly made them lighter. Pick up a PM700 and feel the difference in weight due to the aluminum fuel tank.

Mark

I didn't know that Mark. That would sure explain the weight difference. My 700's are 1.6 lbs heavier than my 7-10's. The 700's have the long brake cover vs the short on the 7-10's but it's still at least 1 lb heavier discounting the covers which is very noticeable.

Put some fresh mustard and wrinkle black on the 55 , took a peek down the old girls throat and the piston has that nice grey machined look with no gouges, I figured what the heck put a new fuel line in it and some fresh gas and whamo! Fires up . The carb is only the low and it feels gummed up to me but it idles and when I made a test cut on some 10" locust it just ripped! I made 5 or 6 more cuts and this saw has some real power! It revs alittle higher than my settings on my other 10 series macs and now I'm wondering if I have them set too fat?20190809_181523.jpg 20190809_181538.jpg

I had an early 2-10 that had a bullfrog carb in it.I bought a PM 10-10 tank handle & put that opn it.I had to drill a hole in the top of the oil tank so the allen screw would go into the tank handle.It worked out rather well,but I never finished the project & I almost think that someone stole the saw.
Ed

If you really like that 2-10 Jethro, you can have the original MAC bar guard that came with my 2-10.

View attachment 752337

Wow Tim it does look kind of umm past it lol. What carb are you running in it?

Put some fresh mustard and wrinkle black on the 55 , took a peek down the old girls throat and the piston has that nice grey machined look with no gouges, I figured what the heck put a new fuel line in it and some fresh gas and whamo! Fires up . The carb is only the low and it feels gummed up to me but it idles and when I made a test cut on some 10" locust it just ripped! I made 5 or 6 more cuts and this saw has some real power! It revs alittle higher than my settings on my other 10 series macs and now I'm wondering if I have them set too fat?View attachment 752338 View attachment 752339

Nice saw I'm thinking that carb needs a rebuild my 7-10 fixed hi was getting like that really cuts but barely four stroking.

I had an early 2-10 that had a bullfrog carb in it.I bought a PM 10-10 tank handle & put that opn it.I had to drill a hole in the top of the oil tank so the allen screw would go into the tank handle.It worked out rather well,but I never finished the project & I almost think that someone stole the saw.
Ed

I really hope those saws are hiding in your shed somewhere Ed. So putting the tank lid and air box lid off a 10-10 would make it more or less a 10-10 wouldn't it?

No,the rest of the saw is a 2-10.The reason I did that was to get away from the non-existent air filters.The PM 10-10 filters are out there cheap & plentiful.I have a couple more Super 2-10's that I'll be doing that to as well,but they have the DSP missing.I was thinking of just tapping the DSP holes & putting plugs in them.
Ed

Wow Tim it does look kind of umm past it lol. What carb are you running in it?

Nice saw I'm thinking that carb needs a rebuild my 7-10 fixed hi was getting like that really cuts but barely four stroking.

I really hope those saws are hiding in your shed somewhere Ed. So putting the tank lid and air box lid off a 10-10 would make it more or less a 10-10 wouldn't it?

The bar cover does have that certain attractive patina.

My 2-10 came with an SDC and 354? chain. I bought it for the starter but once I cleaned it up I figured it was too nice to part out. It needs seals which I have had on my shelf for a about 4 years. Brand new domed air filter as well.

The bar cover does have that certain attractive patina.

My 2-10 came with an SDC and 354? chain. I bought it for the starter but once I cleaned it up I figured it was too nice to part out. It needs seals which I have had on my shelf for a about 4 years. Brand new domed air filter as well.

Nice Tim so how is the sdc setup?

I saw on AS somewhere ages ago before I had one of these things a dude made himself a air cleaner and I can't bloody find where it was or who he was lol any one here ever made there own?

Back