McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for thinking about me for a parts supplier Jethro.Lol I only have 1 or 2 extra coils & I'd like to keep them for my saws.The one on Ebay for $47 is a good price considering it's new.I don't think Bob Johnson is going to beat that price at all & he charges shipping.The going rate for those coils is upwards of $60 or more.
Ed

Thanks for thinking about me for a parts supplier Jethro.Lol I only have 1 or 2 extra coils & I'd like to keep them for my saws.The one on Ebay for $47 is a good price considering it's new.I don't think Bob Johnson is going to beat that price at all & he charges shipping.The going rate for those coils is upwards of $60 or more.
Ed

Yeah was thinking the price was good on ebay. And yeah lol even if ya didn't have a spare was worth the giggle lol.

I had a friend stop by today with a couple of power heads he had cleaned up and put together. He does not participate in the forums but I can put anyone in contact with him if you are interested in either one.

PM700

20190823_134039.jpg

20190823_134047.jpg

20190823_134116.jpg

SP60

20190823_134202.jpg

20190823_134208.jpg

20190823_134234.jpg

This guy is very meticulous, blasts and paint the mufflers or uses new mufflers, goes through everything and replaces anything questionable. He also sells on e-Bay under the name 1twomachine.

Mark

I was talking about my sp81 on the 10-10 thread, but probably better to discuss here. I just fixed tank valve and took my 81 to finish cleaning up at a job we took some mill logs from. It's not right, I'm not getting full revs out of it. Just isn't as snappy as I'd expect this saw to be. It still runs pretty strong, but is leaving some power on the table. Gonna get a carb kit and see if that helps. Currently have hi and lo adjustable carb from sp80 on it. Should I rebuild that or do you guys feel the original fixed hi jet carb would be better? I pulled the original carb apart when I got saw last week. Looked spotless inside but saw wouldn't fire with it on. Put sp80 carb on and it fired right up.

Here's a sample of the size logs I was running it in. Sorry no glamor shoots of it in the wood.20190817_123002.jpg

Check the points. Mine was behaving like that and I narrowed it down to the ignition and eventually the points. Cleaned and re-gapped and found quite a few new RPM's. The fixed jet carb should run just fine -- maybe a hair rich, but completely acceptable by most folks' standards.

I was talking about my sp81 on the 10-10 thread, but probably better to discuss here. I just fixed tank valve and took my 81 to finish cleaning up at a job we took some mill logs from. It's not right, I'm not getting full revs out of it. Just isn't as snappy as I'd expect this saw to be. It still runs pretty strong, but is leaving some power on the table. Gonna get a carb kit and see if that helps. Currently have hi and lo adjustable carb from sp80 on it. Should I rebuild that or do you guys feel the original fixed hi jet carb would be better? I pulled the original carb apart when I got saw last week. Looked spotless inside but saw wouldn't fire with it on. Put sp80 carb on and it fired right up.

Here's a sample of the size logs I was running it in. Sorry no glamor shoots of it in the wood.View attachment 755194
I have an sp81 that did the same thing fir awhile. It had the fixed jet carb. Sdc51a. Ran good but not great. I put an ignition chip in it and it made a huge difference. So i agree with pogo. Check the ignition first. Then go after the carb.

Back