McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help and encouragement. I'll get it ripped apart soon so I have a better idea what questions to ask. You guys are like the poulan people, very nice but a different color of saw
Hey Todd seems I'm not the only green guy with a yellow saw.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Looks like you've got it cleaned up pretty good.When you open up the points box there'll be a small plastic disc in there on top of the points.It's important that it goes back in the same way or you'll have problems down the road.What does it have for a carb,Walbro MDC or Zama M1M7?
Ed

I'm assuming you know how to set the points?They're fairly easy.I've only been doing tem for about a yr.now,when I first started doing points they used to scare the BeJesus out of me,but I'm over that now.Lol
Ed

This is much easier than setting points on a vehicle.You must determine when the points are open.There's a screw that will loosen the points to move them.I put the nut back on the crank & turn it as if tigtening to see when the points open.Loosen the screw to open the points & set them to specs with a feeler gauge (not sure,but I think it's .018),your IPL should have the correct gap setting listed.What I like to do though is take the points right out to see how dirty or tarnished they are.If they're pitted,or burnt badly you might want to get a new set of points.They can be found on Ebay fairly reasonably priced.Not sure,but the part # for the points might be 88811.If te points aren't too bad they can usually be reused by cleaning them.I like to use fine grit (320) emery cloth.Sandpaper tends to leave grit behind,but can be used,but clean thoroughly after cleaning with both emery cloth & sandpaper.MAKE SURE YOU DON"T GET ANY OIL OR GREASE ON THE POINTS! I don't remember if there's a felt in the points box,if there is put only ONE DROP of light weight oil (20 weight) on the felt.I hope this was easily explained & understood.If you run into any problems let us know.
Ed

I picked up this PM700 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for $45.I figured if nothing else I'd have a parts saw for my other PM700.It didn't have any spark when I got it.You could see ther p[revious owner had tried messing with the plug wire where it screwerd into the module,but wasn't very successful.I cut off about 3/16 in.off the end of the plug wire,screwed it back in to the module & had spark again.The fuel filter was the worst one I'd ever seen & I had to dig it out with a screwdriver.I put a new filter in & some fuel & primed the carb & it fired off.I couldn't get it to run on it's own or idle & I checked the needles.They were turned in almost all the way.I turned them out one full turn & stepped up the idle & it ran like a demon.It runs,idles,& cuts great!
Ed

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Back