McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today i got another row done in the stack. Each row is 18" x 5ft high and 20ft long. Cut split and stacked. Im down to 2 more days. Ill be done for the winter at my house. I got out the pm700 today. It has a 22" partner roller nose bar and .375 chain. I put 3 tanks thru it. Ran great for me. I have to say it is a bit less than a 7-10. I know its been mentiined but today was certain. A 7-10 will out perform a 700. Like them both though. I also ran 3 tanks thru the 850. I find myself grabbing more and more. Its smooth fast and strong. Also lighter than other 82cc saws i have. I like that one! I am cutting all red oak the last 3 days and tomorrow. Till then...

Cracker of a saw the 7-10 my 700 is not quite with both my 7-10s but it is down on compression a tad. I still wonder what part the ignition has to play with those two saws. Still haven't seen proof of the porting difference yet. It's a pity the points and electronic cant be swapped around other than the modern chips but that's another variable.

Is there any mechanical difference between the 700s like the original all yellow to the later black and yellow?.
Have any of you guys with both noticed any difference in how they run?

Oh and congratulations on the successful rebuild that 850 how is to your favorite sp81?

It was. And they were. Had a 10’ long 2’ diameter log clamped in the grapple to keep the front wheels on the ground.

Like all processes, fixing the weak link creates new opportunities but also exposes the next weak link. Large trees brought bigger saw. Bigger saw brought even bigger wood. Bigger wood overwhelmed tractor. Bigger tractor brought bigger logs. Bigger logs are exposing weaknesses in trailer. Trailer mods are next project. Seems I never will get time to get back in the chainsaw lab to complete a couple special saws.

Ron

Have you lads ever looked into a log truck?

It was. And they were. Had a 10’ long 2’ diameter log clamped in the grapple to keep the front wheels on the ground.

Like all processes, fixing the weak link creates new opportunities but also exposes the next weak link. Large trees brought bigger saw. Bigger saw brought even bigger wood. Bigger wood overwhelmed tractor. Bigger tractor brought bigger logs. Bigger logs are exposing weaknesses in trailer. Trailer mods are next project. Seems I never will get time to get back in the chainsaw lab to complete a couple special saws.

Ron
F700 with out air brakes , late 80s early 90s go pretty cheap even with a dump bed?

Cracker of a saw the 7-10 my 700 is not quite with both my 7-10s but it is down on compression a tad. I still wonder what part the ignition has to play with those two saws. Still haven't seen proof of the porting difference yet. It's a pity the points and electronic cant be swapped around other than the modern chips but that's another variable.

Is there any mechanical difference between the 700s like the original all yellow to the later black and yellow?.
Have any of you guys with both noticed any difference in how they run?

Oh and congratulations on the successful rebuild that 850 how is to your favorite sp81?

Have you lads ever looked into a log truck?
I know the mufflers are different, I dont have a 7-10 , but my pm700s dont have the compression that my Pro Mac 60 does.
Carburetors might have differences?, Or even flywheel weight could play a part in the feel of the 2 saws.
Regardless I trust the Sawyer's opinion on here so I'd like to try a 7-10 , because the pm700s will do just about anything that I ask of a 70cc saw.
Owner of the saw shop I know has a friend with a cream puff pm700 (minty) that he'd sell but with 2 already in the arsenal I didnt ask how much $$$.

Jethro, the differences to the sp81...they both run with the same kind of power. They sound different. The 850 is lighter by 1.25 lbs power head weight. I think the 850 feels smoother. But its a tough race to call. Today im taking them out and gonna do a comparison. Ill let you know my feedback. Gonna use the same bar and chain today also, that will be the best way.

Ron and I compared several 82cc McCulloch saws a while back. Somewhere in this thread is the results. I think there was an 850 in the group, 2 PM800s, an 805 and a Double Eagle 80. We used the same bar and chain on each saw cutting on the same log, we also measured maximum RPM. It's back a couple years. Ron wrote up a very good synopsis on the outcome. Also there is videos of us cutting.

Ron and I compared several 82cc McCulloch saws a while back. Somewhere in this thread is the results. I think there was an 850 in the group, 2 PM800s, an 805 and a Double Eagle 80. We used the same bar and chain on each saw cutting on the same log, we also measured maximum RPM. It's back a couple years. Ron wrote up a very good synopsis on the outcome. Also there is videos of us cutting.
Ive read that several times. It is a great comparison. So before i start cutting heres the tale of the tape...both have 20 bars, .375 chain, full tanks of fuel and oil they weigh within a 1/4 lb of each other probably less at 20. 25lbs. 81 has sdc 44 carb, 850 has sdc 38a carb, both fully adjustable. No tachometer to check rpm. Im not timing cuts im just gonna go by feel and sound and have a good time!!

I know the mufflers are different, I dont have a 7-10 , but my pm700s dont have the compression that my Pro Mac 60 does.
Carburetors might have differences?, Or even flywheel weight could play a part in the feel of the 2 saws.
Regardless I trust the Sawyer's opinion on here so I'd like to try a 7-10 , because the pm700s will do just about anything that I ask of a 70cc saw.
Owner of the saw shop I know has a friend with a cream puff pm700 (minty) that he'd sell but with 2 already in the arsenal I didnt ask how much $$$.

Never thought about flywheel weight but that's a very good point. The 2-10 I have has a far lighter flywheel than a pm10-10 and the 7-10 flywheel looked different too and being the 700 is electronic I'd say it has the pm10-10 style flywheel.

Need to find a 7-10 and Poge needs 1 too lol

So after one log and several cuts with each my conclusion is the 850 is smoother running and a tad faster. The sp81 seems to have more hind end to it. I like em both equally. Great saws!!!

Cool Vinny you're not helping me pretend I don't need the older style 82cc lol.
How's the fuel economy? Since I've put the old duct on my 800 and an extremely open cover on holy hell it drinks gas like mite be exaggerating but seemed to have opened the needle like a quarter turn lol.

I know there down here Mac was big here then.

Brian that was a good bit of info you and Ron did I'll try n hunt it out again I have read most of this very long thread it's like a huge bible of knowledge

Jethro, im just gonna say it. You do need one. They have lots of butt!! I know your 800 is no slouch but you need more. Hahaha
Fuel economy....none. ive used nothing butt macs this year cutting and ive gone thru nearly 4 gallons. Id say i get 1.5 tanks per log im cutting. The echo would have fuel to spare but it is not near the machine.

I have a little Mac Cat that came to me in a deal for a couple saw cases for my older Macs. Decent little saw. I've only used it for cutting brush mostly, but yesterday I had it out for that and ran into a bigger (10") oak log I had to cut in half. Strange situation cutting the big log with that little Mac Cat. It didn't want to cut straight through the log and kept wandering to the right. Sort of like making a reverse "J' as it cut down through. Never seen a saw do that. Is this because the bar is worn out and the chain isn't being held straight or something? Anyone seen that before?

Rob

Attachments

• 20180917_115656.jpg
    20180917_115656.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Back