McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok , I was just wondering and it seems be like an older husky 55 as far as feel for the cutting capability but I have at least 2 regular 10-10 automatics thay definitely have more grunt .
P.S. I didnt want to offend any one on the green team.

I like the older saws for what they are. Some cut faster than others just like the new saws of today. I have around 70 saws, Poulans, MACs, Homelites. Jonsereds, Remingtons, a couple of Husky's and Stihl's. A couple of Echo's a PM Canadien, Pioneers and some I likely can't remember. All decent machines with faults on every one of them. All fun to cut with. No new saws on my short list though.

I sure wish there was an "old saw" GTG within driving distance from me.

The MAC 10-10 showed up last night.
put the bar and chain on. Little fuel an 3 pulls she lit off. Had to get a group pic lol
View attachment 767794
View attachment 767796

What a great little gang there ready for any tree job:)

I like the older saws for what they are. Some cut faster than others just like the new saws of today. I have around 70 saws, Poulans, MACs, Homelites. Jonsereds, Remingtons, a couple of Husky's and Stihl's. A couple of Echo's a PM Canadien, Pioneers and some I likely can't remember. All decent machines with faults on every one of them. All fun to cut with. No new saws on my short list though.

I sure wish there was an "old saw" GTG within driving distance from me.

That's exactly how I feel about old saws. Speed is not why we use them we don't work with them as such firewood will not be any faster with a new saw.

I'd like to have a go on the EFI stihl just to see what its about but would never pay the money for it could get an immaculate vintage saw instead lol.
This on trade me in nz at the moment too much but it is nice though
Screenshot_20191023-151754_Samsung Internet.jpg

8mm....

Getting charged import charges on international orders now which just adds insult to injury with the low value Aussie dollar....

Anyone got an Archer bar on a McCulloch that can post a picture...I really wanted the black bar with yellow McCulloch writing (even bought the stencil that failed - too sticky and marked up the paint underneath when removing) but I can only get 16" with .325 pitch so going to cost $150+ to change over...might have to settle for a more readily available option...I'm being pedantic but it's going to be on my wall for a long time so want it to not annoy me.
Can you buy Echo bars locally? As far as I know they are D176 and will fit the 10 series Macs. They will give you a choice of 3/8 and .325 for the saw.

I was cutting up so.e small stuff today for fun, i decided to get out the mini macs. I ran a tank thru both 110's. It was fun. They sure are tiny little critters. So i have 2 that run, i guess the $3000.00 one on ebay is NOT the only one in the world that runs! Lol i should sell mine for 2000.00 each, that would be a bargin to some buyer compared to the rare one.

Was still having a timing issue with the Pro Mac 60, so I swapped out the points and condenser and figured now was a good time to replace the flywheel with the missing fin. When I installed the new flywheel I noticed that after tightening the nut down the shaft still moved ever so slightly? So i put the old flywheel back on and same thing! I think the shaft is worn just enough for the taper not to lock it down before running out of threads.
I made a tapered sleeve out of .076 mm steel and it locked right down and will probably not give me any more timing strangeness.

Was still having a timing issue with the Pro Mac 60, so I swapped out the points and condenser and figured now was a good time to replace the flywheel with the missing fin. When I installed the new flywheel I noticed that after tightening the nut down the shaft still moved ever so slightly? So i put the old flywheel back on and same thing! I think the shaft is worn just enough for the taper not to lock it down before running out of threads.
I made a tapered sleeve out of .076 mm steel and it locked right down and will probably not give me any more timing strangeness.

Does that have the "cigarette pack" muffler with the reed in it?

NorthEast Tennessee MAC Report

We carved on a large red oak this morning. PM610 and 60cc off brand in the canopy and PM800s for the rest. Chow time intervened before we got done. Brian may have gone back for more, but I had duties at home to attend.

Almost forgot to take pictures.

Brian's mighty F-150 trying to roll the top that was two or three times its weight. His trusty co-pilot and son, Lee, never doubted it. And it did, after a few rear wheelies. We didn't measure the diameter where the truck was hooked but it took two chokers linked together to reach around the stem at my cut which was about 12 feet up from the stump cut Brian made.
IMG_4730.JPG

Brian's handiwork. At least this time I wasn't running the 800 at the time.
IMG_4742.JPG

He was actually using his 800 to rescue my 800.
IMG_4735.JPG

Trying to line-up a little creek side falling job in the next few weeks.

I took a break from the home duties to go haul in the last load from last week, but alas the Deere wouldn't start. I have the battery charging so I can have it tested. In the meantime, back to the dreaded home duties.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

What a great little gang there ready for any tree job:)

That's exactly how I feel about old saws. Speed is not why we use them we don't work with them as such firewood will not be any faster with a new saw.

I'd like to have a go on the EFI stihl just to see what its about but would never pay the money for it could get an immaculate vintage saw instead lol.
This on trade me in nz at the moment too much but it is nice though
View attachment 767825
You are correct with regard to old vs new saws. My 10mm 044 was way faster than my 700 20" bars new chisel chains on each, same wood, the same with my 046 vs 800, 28" bars new full chisel chains, same wood. You could push the Macs hard and not stop them, with the Stihl, you could easily stop them. I felt the like new 800 was much smoother than the low hour early 046.

Back