McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever take the fuel tank apart on an 850, 800 style tank? If so how did you get the screws out?!! Man they are not budging. Ive got holes in the tank bottom but have a good bottom half i could use if i could get them apart somehow. Thanks Vinny

A slow decline over the years. Probably about one year when he had to be watched. He then broke his hip, became septic and left his earthly home.

No, I don’t have a 640. A 640 is my educated guess. It could have been a 790 or 890. I wasn’t allowed to run it, but I sure got to tote it a lot as a teenager.

Ron

It's a hard watch especially your old man.

Did he make you carry it Haha good on him would of done you good:)

I can understand why he wouldn't want ya running a giant monster saw like that what a beast gear drives are scary and I've never even touched 1

Long story longer

Thanks for taking the time to write all that, Poge. It certainly may help a lot of old timers in this hobby.

If your ears ring after any loud event, you have damaged your ears. Sure, the next day you will be fine and will probably hear normally but some damage was done. Additionally, your ears don’t have to ring for damage to occur. Lower level sound for extended periods also causes hearing loss. A day in the factory or an hour or two of cutting wood or a couple hours on the lawn mower may not make your ears ring but can cause long term hearing loss as well.

As you pointed out, younger people seem a little more aware and accepting of PPE. Unfortunately in my misspent youth, partially due to upbringing and the remainder due to my own misconceptions, I thought PPE was for pussies.

Probably my biggest hearing loss came from attending tractor pulls. Imagine the stupidity of sitting maybe 100 feet from a vehicle with 6 blown hemi’s at full power. It felt like it reached right in to my soul. Loved the sound. A life time of both high and low level sound levels from things like shooting (although the first time I fired a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag without ear pro was also the last time I did that) chainsaws, rock concerts and even some country concerts, and one enlistment as a jet engine mechanic have added up to tinnitus. At my last hearing test at work I asked why there was nothing on the 8,000 Htz line on the printout. She said it was because I never pushed the button during that part of the test. Yikes!

Anyways, I don’t mean to babble about myself. I would just like to strongly encourage everyone to wear all the PPE when using any equipment with hazards. Ear plugs or muffs, safety glasses, chaps. Shaded goggles for cutting or brazing, face shield for grinding, and on and on. Just do it!

58ae4cffc31531e9196a308cb7fd6e4a.jpg

John Deere yellow is some lighter but it’s what we had on hand.

Beats running barefoot.

I've got a few of the 1-40, 1-50 series (like 5 or 6 and they all run and cut good. I start all of them and use them little bit yearly just to keep them going. Heinnman helped me with tips when I first started tuning them. (thanks again)

I would sell a few of them. I use saws that weigh less now days. Been thinking about maybe craigslist eventually.

Shipping is costly now days also.

Hey guys are all the 10 series flywheels compatible? Like points vs electronic? I know the Q ports have an odd ball and my old 2-10 is a different too. I always thought they were different from points to electronic and I have a pm10-10 a 10-10auto and a 7-10 flywheel here and they all seem the same.

When looking at the coil the pick ups are a completely different place.

Just wondering if this is Aaron's strange issue timing symptoms and I have a 10-10A here that's spitting gas and not happy. Maint sup thought it seemed timing related also and it is very very clean and clearly been rebuilt perhaps not into the block but is definitely been stripped down. Was wondering if the wrong flywheel was on it. The points 7-10 seems the same as the pm10-10 though

I saw one at Higgins park in Wakefield, just south of Nelson. There is a shed there full of great stuff, and one at Mudgeways collection just outside Palmerston North. None for sale tho. Did u see that promac 800 on trademe. $750... didn’t sell tho.

Yeah I put a picture up on here of that new he was dreaming a bit but aww well was thinking probably 300 400 tops mind you have seen a couple 700s go for 350ish.

Well that's interesting to know the big girls are down here I think it's a pipe dream and I try not to worry about them lol good to watch the topsiders play with them on video though. An sp80/81 is my dream Mac and I know there around

Hey guys are all the 10 series flywheels compatible? Like points vs electronic? I know the Q ports have an odd ball and my old 2-10 is a different too. I always thought they were different from points to electronic and I have a pm10-10 a 10-10auto and a 7-10 flywheel here and they all seem the same.

When looking at the coil the pick ups are a completely different place.

Just wondering if this is Aaron's strange issue timing symptoms and I have a 10-10A here that's spitting gas and not happy. Maint sup thought it seemed timing related also and it is very very clean and clearly been rebuilt perhaps not into the block but is definitely been stripped down. Was wondering if the wrong flywheel was on it. The points 7-10 seems the same as the pm10-10 though

Im pretty sure that Mark H. did a write up on the flywheels , it might be in the Unofficial Mac 10-10 thread.

Latest posts

Back