McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing I found inside was a pm850 24 fin flywheel so I stole that and put the pm10-10 flywheel on it reason why was to steel the starter pawls for my 800 that I traded away for a 7-10.

My mate as we speak is going to look at an sp saw for 50 bucks imagejpeg_3.jpg
Not sure if 80 81 70 or what yetH.jpg
Facebook dam it I hate it but I miss out not being on it

No has a 7/16 nut holding it on.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The nut doesn't "hold it on" the taper of the crank does the nut just sets it and if it does get loose keeps it from becoming a grenade. Keyed or not you have to install the nut tight enough to use force of some kind to get that clutch off even with the nut completely removed. I don't know what the torque spec is but its not hand tight.

The nut doesn't "hold it on" the taper of the crank does the nut just sets it and if it does get loose keeps it from becoming a grenade. Keyed or not you have to install the nut tight enough to use force of some kind to get that clutch off even with the nut completely removed. I don't know what the torque spec is but its not hand tight.

From what I can see in the manuals, The 54 to 70 cc models 13 to 15 ft. lbs. 5/16-24 nut.

The 82 cc models 33 to 35 ft lbs. 3/8-24 nut.

Swapped out the clutch....she cuts eh![emoji16]

Easy as that. I learned pretty fast to grab these saws dead or alive for times like this. It's very handy that a heap of parts fit from so many models and if you look on Ebay you'll pay what a saw could be had for just 1 part

Easy as that. I learned pretty fast to grab these saws dead or alive for times like this. It's very handy that a heap of parts fit from so many models and if you look on Ebay you'll pay what a saw could be had for just 1 part

I must have 30 some parts donors from mainly 2 saw companies (guess which ones haha) & a crap load of NOS & good used ''loose'' parts in bench drawers,cardboard boxes,up on spare shelves,other places stashed away,I'm like a squirrel in that regard lol.....Even to this day its hard for me to resist a decent parts donor if the price is right,lots of parts that were common just 10-15 yrs back are getting scarce now. And we obviously cant go to the Dealer or local hardware store to get them,unless its the common nuts.bolts,washers that we see in the IPL's.

I must have 30 some parts donors from mainly 2 saw companies (guess which ones haha) & a crap load of NOS & good used ''loose'' parts in bench drawers,cardboard boxes,up on spare shelves,other places stashed away,I'm like a squirrel in that regard lol.....Even to this day its hard for me to resist a decent parts donor if the price is right,lots of parts that were common just 10-15 yrs back are getting scarce now. And we obviously cant go to the Dealer or local hardware store to get them,unless its the common nuts.bolts,washers that we see in the IPL's.

You're living the dream mate and that's exactly how to keep these things going.

Brother she cuts like a hot knife through butter. Ive another 10-10s that just needs a fuel line and carb kit.

Brother she cuts like a hot knife through butter. Ive another 10-10s that just needs a fuel line and carb kit.

Nice man awesome. You may find that the clutch may bite ok with a different drum or get in there with sand paper and rough it all up.

Get the word out your after these old things even 50 bucks on a dead 10-10 gives heaps of parts.

I have been pretty busy working to get the museum going so I've been slacking here...

The flywheels on all of the 10 Series LH start saws will interchange with the possible exception of the 18 fin used on the PM800/805 since they are a bit "taller" to move more air. The flywheel covers on those saws are a bit wider as well and shaped differently so they don't easily interchange with the rest of the 10 Series saws.

Most of the LH start flywheels were 12 fin. After a few 82cc saws were cooked they came up with a 24 fin flywheel to move more air and some of the later PM models had these. I think all PM850 had the 24, as well as some PM700 and 10-10S saws.

L-R: 12 fin, 18 fin, 24 fin
IMAG1557.jpg

Hard to see in this photo but the fins are taller on the 18.

20180319_192844.jpg

The electronic and points coils do mount in different locations, but the flywheels are the same. RH start flywheels are smaller in diameter and do not interchange with the LH start saws...I know this because Fossil set me straight.

Mark

I have been pretty busy working to get the museum going so I've been slacking here...

The flywheels on all of the 10 Series LH start saws will interchange with the possible exception of the 18 fin used on the PM800/805 since they are a bit "taller" to move more air. The flywheel covers on those saws are a bit wider as well and shaped differently so they don't easily interchange with the rest of the 10 Series saws.

Most of the LH start flywheels were 12 fin. After a few 82cc saws were cooked they came up with a 24 fin flywheel to move more air and some of the later PM models had these. I think all PM850 had the 24, as well as some PM700 and 10-10S saws.

L-R: 12 fin, 18 fin, 24 fin
View attachment 771888

Hard to see in this photo but the fins are taller on the 18.

View attachment 771887

The electronic and points coils do mount in different locations, but the flywheels are the same. RH start flywheels are smaller in diameter and do not interchange with the LH start saws...I know this because Fossil set me straight.

Mark

Thank you Mark. So the flywheel I swapped on my mates 700 was probably the correct 1. Hopefully it doesn't overheat. I swapped it so I could borrow the flywheel pawls instead of making some

IIRC, you (Mark) also have a high reving 640. Your bow guard is similar to my grandfather’s though his is lacking the side handle. My father’s wasn’t so fancy. It simply had a steel angle bolted to bow. Ron

Back