McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, myself. You got my curiosity up and I just randomly did some searching on '10-10 clutch covers' and ran across several like the above for the larger frame saws also. There are black ones as well.

As for the 10-series short covers, there appear to be 4 of the 'circle' version -- with logo and site, without logo but site, without logo, and logo without site. Interesting.

I'm only familiar with the one McC logo.

I don't know, myself. You got my curiosity up and I just randomly did some searching on '10-10 clutch covers' and ran across several like the above for the larger frame saws also. There are black ones as well.

As for the 10-series short covers, there appear to be 4 of the 'circle' version -- with logo and site, without logo but site, without logo, and logo without site. Interesting.

I'm only familiar with the one McC logo.

Ahh cool yeah I got into all this nonsense trying to get build years for my saws like my early 7-10 is still old mac but then after the pop up compression release. I'll go through some IPLs and see but it seems to me about 74 they changed to the mountain logo. Which points my later two 7-10s around 74 75 and then now Tim has pointed out that his have presence levers so perhaps his are 76 before the pm700 came in 77. Interesting Mark says there were some 700s with points now are they really a 7-10 with a 700 sticker?

I'd still like something definite on the 700 vs 7-10 porting but however I'm not measuring lol

Jethro, where were your saws built? They were also made in Australia, Japan, Belgium and Canada.

Well I'm buggerd if I know really all the tags have California on them but that probably doesn't mean anything. I would have supposed aussie I guess if they lumped the Australasia market as one I'm not too sure

I'd still like something definite on the 700 vs 7-10 porting but however I'm not measuring lol

When Tim mentioned checking through the plug hole on his SP80/81, that's the first thing I thought of as a possible way to compare the 700 and 7-10 cylinders without having to tear one of each saw apart. Can't visualize the plug angle offhand, tho. May be angled a bit too much to see anything conclusive.

When Tim mentioned checking through the plug hole on his SP80/81, that's the first thing I thought of as a possible way to compare the 700 and 7-10 cylinders without having to tear one of each saw apart. Can't visualize the plug angle offhand, tho. May be angled a bit too much to see anything conclusive.

Likely easier to see on the reed valve horizontal cylinder saws through the exhaust port with a small mirror and a light.

A bore scope would make it easy.

Might have a gander when I get home.

Countries are fussy about country of origin and have been for 60 or 70 years so if it says USA, it was made there (unless it was made in China).

Yeah ok so do the Australian saws have it written on the decals?

Now that you mention it because we are a very small market for anything we often don't get stuff set aside just for us eg cars... aussie has there own Japanese car market so they would build a heap to their specs and at a price for them but us on the other hand just get imported straight from Japan which means we got the best jap cars like ae86s for instance poor aus versions never even got the 4age in there ae86.

But alot of goods are like that hear and we probably pay more but yeah it's a funny thing for sure.

Many saws were exported from countries that had favourable duty rates with the destination country. Your 4000 was made in Canada and likely came to New Zealand for that reason. I'm kind of surprised your MAC's didn't come from Australia but I don't know when they ceased production there. The satellite plants may all have been closed by then.
R. McCulloch sold the company in 1974 to B&D.

Have a look at the label on your friends 82cc MAC when he gets it.

Many saws were exported from countries that had favourable duty rates with the destination country. Your 4000 was made in Canada and likely came to New Zealand for that reason. I'm kind of surprised your MAC's didn't come from Australia but I don't know when they ceased production there. The satellite plants may all have been closed by then.
R. McCulloch sold the company in 1974 to B&D.

Have a look at the label on your friends 82cc MAC when he gets it.

Yeah exactly it's strange how it all worked out.

Um if he gets it no label on it. The dude after saying yes yes it's yours no problem has now gone silent and is not home and no reply on the forsale page so who knows what's happened there may have realized what he had although my mate wisely never told him or someone offered him good money for it or he had a heart attack and is in hospital.... who knows yet time will tell.

I recently got 7 new to me Macs, ranging from a model 73 to a 10-10?, but mostly 80-87 cc's. One of them, a Super 25, is proof of McCulloch's parts hoarding extremes. When I first got it I checked the block to ID it and it said it was a 1-43, which I scoffed at as it doesn't look even remotely like my 1-42, so I thought I'd misread it. When I looked it up and saw it was a Super 250, I double-checked the block and am now guessing that McCulloch used a 7-10 year old block on a new saw. Just guessing based off of the crappy cellphone pics, would you say I'm right? Also, Is the second saw shown a 10-10? It doesn't have any traces of lettering on the top cover so I want to make sure I'm right in my guessing. Yikes! These pics are even crappier on my computer than they were on my phone! I'll try to get better pics later tomorrow, and I'll show the full collection, I promise.
IMG_3874.jpegIMG_3875.jpeg IMG_3872.jpeg IMG_3876.jpeg IMG_3880.jpeg
IMG_3877.jpeg

I recently got 7 new to me Macs, ranging from a model 73 to a 10-10?, but mostly 80-87 cc's. One of them, a Super 25, is proof of McCulloch's parts hoarding extremes. When I first got it I checked the block to ID it and it said it was a 1-43, which I scoffed at as it doesn't look even remotely like my 1-42, so I thought I'd misread it. When I looked it up and saw it was a Super 250, I double-checked the block and am now guessing that McCulloch used a 7-10 year old block on a new saw. Just guessing based off of the crappy cellphone pics, would you say I'm right? Also, Is the second saw shown a 10-10? It doesn't have any traces of lettering on the top cover so I want to make sure I'm right in my guessing. Yikes! These pics are even crappier on my computer than they were on my phone! I'll try to get better pics later tomorrow, and I'll show the full collection, I promise.
View attachment 772420View attachment 772421 View attachment 772422 View attachment 772423 View attachment 772424
View attachment 772425

Hey there can you give a couple more pictures of the 10 series? It's hard to know what you might have some times the fins from the side of the 10 seams almost 70cc looking but can't really quite see.

I can't help with the big thing I'm sorry

View attachment 772420View attachment 772421 View attachment 772422 View attachment 772423 View attachment 772424
View attachment 772425

What your looking for on a 10 series is a decomp button , if it doesn't have one it is of the 54cc saw family.

View attachment 772425
Commiefornia!!!! Thats clever and very funny!!
I see no decompression valve so as mentioned its a 54cc saw. Great runner though. Last forever. Post the rest of em.
Still lol. Funny

So my day started and ended great. What better to do than build a chainsaw from the ground up. Some photos of the progress. This is my buddies pm805. It got a serious cleaning, new piston and rings, muffler brace, exhaust gasket, fuel cap valve, bottom bumpers, brake parts (all of them), nos bucking spike, fuel line and filter, a few nuts and bolts, new pto seal, adjustments and ran for the first time in probably over 25 yrs. It started on the 8th pull and after some minor low side adjustment idled on its own. I made some test cuts in white oak roughly 21 inch, with a 24 inch bar and it had spare power. It really cut nice and smooth. Hes gonna be happy to set it on his shelf. Oddly the carburetor did not need rebuilt. I was very surprised. Its got a zama c2 in it. Well any way heres some pictures....

Back