McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the mac thread time warp at the moment July 2012. Interesting watching Mark's collection grow. These saws were still cheap then and its interesting seeing guys complain about prices. A few guys missing in action now :( nice to have you guys around that are still here though.

Eccentric does he still keep in touch? Randy mac pops in from time to time and Joey.

Great learning to be had if any of us new people find the time to read it all.

We ran NGK's exclusively in my buddies alcohol funny car and my AA fuel.altered. They always ran great on my Yamaha sc500 and my cr500.
My favorite race cars of all time, AA fuel Altereds. Back when boys had Balls, and men had Mellon’s. What body did you run? I had a 112 inch front engine dragster with. A Dodge 340 and a 727 trans, shortened to 21 inches. Best time was a 9.6 at 168 mph. It still ran a U joint between the trans and rear. Had a steel tube that bolted to The pinion snubber that covered the U joint, supposedly. Now we think saws need brakes. At least my car had HurstAirhart duel caliper disc on it. It would stop.

I picked up a Mac 550 a couple years ago at a yard sale. Turned out to be an old high school friend selling all of his dads stuff after he passed. Got the 550 and a Mac15 for $35 each. My friends father was a mechanic and liked to tinker with anything mechanical. The 550 looked like the carb had been done, new fuel lines, very clean. A shot of mix and it fired right up. Now I might have to go through the carb again. It will fire on a prime, but won’t keep running. Any way, I’ve been trying to catch up and see all the talk about how much “Snot” an 82 cc Mac has. I’ve never had this 550 in wood, so, how much “Snot” does a 99 cc Mac have? Will I be posting my Super 1050’s for sale?

My favorite race cars of all time, AA fuel Altereds. Back when boys had Balls, and men had Mellon’s. What body did you run? I had a 112 inch front engine dragster with. A Dodge 340 and a 727 trans, shortened to 21 inches. Best time was a 9.6 at 168 mph. It still ran a U joint between the trans and rear. Had a steel tube that bolted to The pinion snubber that covered the U joint, supposedly. Now we think saws need brakes. At least my car had HurstAirhart duel caliper disc on it. It would stop.
I ran a model T bodys on both an old alcohol car and on the Fuel car. My first real race car was a 180" front engine car. I ran a big block turbo 350 and U joint with the old 8 &3/4" Chrysler rear end. It too had Hurst Airheart disks as did my first alcohol funny car. All stuff from the early 80's, except the fuel car. The dragster received the big block from my old 68 Camaro. I was an 18 year old kid with no help that just wanted to go fast. Dragsters are so much easier to work on with no dash to climb under or fenders to hump over.

I picked up a Mac 550 a couple years ago at a yard sale. Turned out to be an old high school friend selling all of his dads stuff after he passed. Got the 550 and a Mac15 for $35 each. My friends father was a mechanic and liked to tinker with anything mechanical. The 550 looked like the carb had been done, new fuel lines, very clean. A shot of mix and it fired right up. Now I might have to go through the carb again. It will fire on a prime, but won’t keep running. Any way, I’ve been trying to catch up and see all the talk about how much “Snot” an 82 cc Mac has. I’ve never had this 550 in wood, so, how much “Snot” does a 99 cc Mac have? Will I be posting my Super 1050’s for sale?
A 550 will run a 36" bar acceptably and about like a 790 & 795. The super 550's run the same as a regular 550. They have noticeably more torque than a super 250, but way less speed, when the 250 REALLY comes on. A modern day comparison would be like comparing an 046 and an 066. The larger saw shows itself better with the longer bar.

No. That's the only one I've seen for sale up here. Something to fiddle with as if I don't have enough junk now. There was a little box store electric chainsaw that went for more.

I don't think I have a MAC with an unuseable cylinder. There's always a first time. I rarely buy saws on line and if I do, I assume they are for parts.

Haha junk to some... treasure to us lot

Even pretty grotty looking cylinders still probably run ok 1 of my 7-10s has quite a few groves and yeah it's not what it could be but still rips a 20 inch bar well and will leave the pm10-10 for dead. Still pondering if rings would improve it or not it may be leaking a heap past the ring gap.

But yeah it's best to expect the worst when buying online and not pay too much for it. And hey it looks to have some handy parts if it is toasted

I won this in an on line auction last night. It went cheap.

Hopefully it's more than just a pile of parts. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

The muffler cover looks like it's seen better days. Hopefully the duct isn't rotted out.

View attachment 777896 View attachment 777897 View attachment 777898 View attachment 777899
Unless it's been straight gassed there's no way in hell that saw is bad , look a the damn thing its never been apart the chip guards good, all in all I think your in for a pleasant surprise.
Unless straight gas then I'm sorry I got your hopes up.

I'm way past getting upset by saw stuff but thanks for the thought.
Well I just hope you get the opportunity to run it, sometimes I get pissed when I read what other people go through with saw deals online .but anyway good luck with it ,it's a unique saw to cut with and I love mine and it was terrible when I bought it.

Update ion the PM60.

I did a little peeking as my back is sore from standing too long today. The cylinder was very dry but I don't see any scoring. I put a little oil in the cylinder which raises compression beyond what it should be but it feels very good. The saw is complete.
As I suspected from the auction pics the muffler cover is done but the duct seems solid. I can't see the bottom so who knows.

There is a little corrosion on the bottom of the clutch cover (they sit flat on the floor) and a bit on the bottom of the starter cover but not bad. It will clean up, The fuel tank is empty and clean.
The manual oiler works but the oil in there is pretty thick so I figure it's been in there for years. It has the correct carb (SDC 49) on it and the air filter is clean.

The starter is squawking some so any lube in there has turned to goo.

It has spark.

I came with two chains and the heels on the straps are worn down so I'm guessing the auto oiler is not working.

The bar slot is so worn a harvester chain might fit in there. It's a MAC bar by Oregon and the chains are McCulloch.

I'll post some pics once I get it cleaned up.

I think it's been sitting for many years as any oil on it is almost like dried grease.

I did a little research on the owners as it was an estate sale auction.

The wife died last June at age 91 and she and her husband were married for 68 years. He is still alive but since all was sold I'm guessing he's in an old folks home.

The fuel line even feels pretty good.

I think for $24.89 plus my gas to pick it up I did OK.

Update ion the PM60.

I did a little peeking as my back is sore from standing too long today. The cylinder was very dry but I don't see any scoring. I put a little oil in the cylinder which raises compression beyond what it should be but it feels very good. The saw is complete.
As I suspected from the auction pics the muffler cover is done but the duct seems solid. I can't see the bottom so who knows.

There is a little corrosion on the bottom of the clutch cover (they sit flat on the floor) and a bit on the bottom of the starter cover but not bad. It will clean up, The fuel tank is empty and clean.
The manual oiler works but the oil in there is pretty thick so I figure it's been in there for years. It has the correct carb (SDC 49) on it and the air filter is clean.

The starter is squawking some so any lube in there has turned to goo.

It has spark.

I came with two chains and the heels on the straps are worn down so I'm guessing the auto oiler is not working.

The bar slot is so worn a harvester chain might fit in there. It's a MAC bar by Oregon and the chains are McCulloch.

I'll post some pics once I get it cleaned up.

I think it's been sitting for many years as any oil on it is almost like dried grease.

I did a little research on the owners as it was an estate sale auction.

The wife died last June at age 91 and she and her husband were married for 68 years. He is still alive but since all was sold I'm guessing he's in an old folks home.

The fuel line even feels pretty good.

I think for $24.89 plus my gas to pick it up I did OK.
Awsome I'm happy for you !
Mine has tried to take my fingers a couple of times without the decomp pushed in fyi.

Back