McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tighten the puller as much as possible, then while holding the saw in one hand by the puller, give the top of the puller shaft a good sharp rap with a hammer. You might have to tighten the puller two or three more times after each hit. Keeping that nut in place is a good way to prevent the flywheel from becoming a flying saucer when it pops off.

Mark

Today's McProjects.

20200110_081331.jpg

Titan 70 came from Maintenance Supervisor, the Lear charger came from Woodslasher.

I decided to start with the Titan so I tore it down to give it a good cleaning.

20200110_174839.jpg

Unfortunately the tank is damaged so for now I will just give it a good cleaning and put it on display with the other Titan saws.

20200110_174845.jpg

For informational purposes, note that the 70 is much easier to work on than the 50/57/Double Eagle 50 with the oil, fuel, and impulse lines are all readily accessible.

I will try to get to the Lear charger soon, but I will be pretty busy next week trying to get the museum presentable for a men's breakfast (church group) next Saturday.

20200110_081406.jpg

20200110_081521.jpg

Mark

Ok well a bar turned up today here is the label.

It's got electrolux on it so after jen feng 20200111_151013.jpg 20200111_151021.jpg 20200111_151031.jpg

He's got more so might grab them only 40 bucks nz so like 25 for you boys.

Is it really made in usa I duno but so far the 1 on the hot rod 10-10 has been nice.

Speaking of which I weighed it tonight and its around 15.5 pounds with a 20 and half full of gas. Its lighter than my mates 311 and will piss on it. Its economical and cost me around 200 nz total bar n chain included but its dam neer brand new the 57cc block looks pristine inside and the oil tank lid has not a mark on it. At the moment I can put it down it's a ball of fun to run heaps of grunt and loves to rev it just sings all day brap braap braaap ting ting ning ning lol love it going cutting 2moro and yeah you bet I'll use it all day

Magneto finally pop off of the 650 Thanks for all the help
2d75271c0bdc36847d5c96f0e0a6c5db.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Windy day in North East Tennessee today. Too strong to fall trees so we cut in the wood piles at the lot. Ran my 800 for a while - primarily for exercise as there wasn't anything in the pile that my little off-brand with its sharper chain couldn't handle faster. After refueling the 800, I went to work with the off-brand. Out the corner of my eye I caught my 800 walking around the lot. Not sure if Brian had been twisting its screws or borrowing its bar oil. I guess I will find out next Saturday.

As usual Brian brought a variety of MACs. I believe he and his son ran at least four. I brought my 700 with the brush bow but couldn't find a safe spot to run it so it stayed in the truck.

Father and son at work in "their"wood pile.
IMG_4918.JPG IMG_4919.JPG IMG_4920.JPG IMG_4929.JPG

800 on a fueling break.
IMG_4922.JPG

That is our armored "bullet proof" Deere skidsteer in the background. I admire the soldiers who would run it though I think I would ask the Sargent for some other duty.
Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

Got the Motoseal delivered from Amazon today. Wonderful! Yes, I am now sure they are going to conquer the world. Anyway, got the saw sealed up, the new ignition module installed, and new spark plug. Waiting until tomorrow to fuel and fire it up.
d653a5900218efd0a6cfde6e6dd831cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Lookin sharp!

Got the Motoseal delivered from Amazon today. Wonderful! Yes, I am now sure they are going to conquer the world. Anyway, got the saw sealed up, the new ignition module installed, and new spark plug. Waiting until tomorrow to fuel and fire it up.
e7c641c32f8e9ababd73f419a05497df.jpg

That's a ridiculously clean 10-10S you will love that saw. Had a great day cutting with mine today I've now got a couple filings on the chain and its really coming alive. In 16 inch wood it's hard to notice any speed difference if any vs a 7-10 get the 20 inch bars buried and yeah the 7-10 definitely has grunt and can really lean on it if wanted and will not stall but let the S Stay in its happy zone it pulls that 20 real good. At the moment it's by far my favorite saw.

My mate had a good tank through it today and he normally runs an off brand 59cc and he says the S is all over it and never even ran his today he wouldn't give it back haha he also ran a 7-10 too and yeah loves the power of these things his old man has a 441 magnum that he flogs sometimes and it's a peaky boggy thing.

Windy day in North East Tennessee today. Too strong to fall trees so we cut in the wood piles at the lot. Ran my 800 for a while - primarily for exercise as there wasn't anything in the pile that my little off-brand with its sharper chain couldn't handle faster. After refueling the 800, I went to work with the off-brand. Out the corner of my eye I caught my 800 walking around the lot. Not sure if Brian had been twisting its screws or borrowing its bar oil. I guess I will find out next Saturday.

As usual Brian brought a variety of MACs. I believe he and his son ran at least four. I brought my 700 with the brush bow but couldn't find a safe spot to run it so it stayed in the truck.

View attachment 787671 View attachment 787672 View attachment 787673 View attachment 787674

800 on a fueling break.
View attachment 787675

That is our armored "bullet proof" Deere skidsteer in the background. I admire the soldiers who would run it though I think I would ask the Sargent for some other duty.
Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

Nice pictures Ron good to see you blokes letting those Mac's eat. Would love to cut with you guys

e7c641c32f8e9ababd73f419a05497df.jpg

Damn Storm Troopers trample everything!
McCulloch looks good though , if you get the chance a power match bar has a wider replacement tip on it , they've been good for me.

That's a ridiculously clean 10-10S you will love that saw. Had a great day cutting with mine today I've now got a couple filings on the chain and its really coming alive. In 16 inch wood it's hard to notice any speed difference if any vs a 7-10 get the 20 inch bars buried and yeah the 7-10 definitely has grunt and can really lean on it if wanted and will not stall but let the S Stay in its happy zone it pulls that 20 real good. At the moment it's by far my favorite saw.

My mate had a good tank through it today and he normally runs an off brand 59cc and he says the S is all over it and never even ran his today he wouldn't give it back haha he also ran a 7-10 too and yeah loves the power of these things his old man has a 441 magnum that he flogs sometimes and it's a peaky boggy thing.

Nice pictures Ron good to see you blokes letting those Mac's eat. Would love to cut with you guys

I glad that S is treating you good. It really is a fantastic saw !
After seeing the port configuration I wonder if the people who do port work on the 54cc 10-10 are just copying the 10-10's ports and using the bigger carburetor?

View attachment 787671 View attachment 787672 View attachment 787673 View attachment 787674

800 on a fueling break.
View attachment 787675

Ron

I did not get a chance to get a picture of Ron cutting with any of his saws but I did get these. Not MAC related, but good pictures. I bet you all did not know Ron could operate a skid steer.

IMG_0394[1].JPG
IMG_0395[1].JPG

IMG_0396[1].JPG

The reason I had Ron's saw was some wild person was scooping up wood close to it and I did not want it to get damaged. That is Ron's go to saw and do not want it to get damaged. We would have to have a funeral fo it and I would hate to see Ron cry.

MAC report on the saws my son and myself used:
Lee used the PM10-10S until the fuel line somehow developed a hole in it and switched to the PM6 but the chain was dull and he spent the remainder of the day throwing wood off the stack as I was cutting it into rounds to be split.
I started out with the PM805 until I hit something and dulled the chain. I swapped over to the PM610 for a while but I think in sharping the chain I got the depth gauges just a little low and it was pulling me to death. My PM 800 had a dull chain on it, so I put a fresh chain on it and finished out the day with it.

All in all a good day of cutting, got a lot of rounds cut to be split and despite a lot of people on skid steers running around the lot, no one got ran over, no one got hurt and we done good for needy people.

Brian

Thanks for looking after my MAC, Brian. I didn't notice that you had moved it. When I later saw it walk by I thought maybe you didn't like how it was running and took it over to your tailgate for a tune.

The wind was so strong, I had my reading glasses on to keep the sawdust and dirt out of my eyes. And with no clue where the horn button is, I felt like a wild man trying to dodge the other skidsteer. We have only had the CAT for a couple of weeks. It must be narrower than the other three because it feels like you are going to thump over with ever split you run over. On a positive note, with my big feet I really like the joystick controls.

Ron

I glad that S is treating you good. It really is a fantastic saw !
After seeing the port configuration I wonder if the people who do port work on the 54cc 10-10 are just copying the 10-10's ports and using the bigger carburetor?

Yeah well thats a real interesting thing I've been thinking about that too I have a spare 54 in bits perhaps I could try.

It's just rev happy hard to describe but it winds up high with a really nice four stroke sound like a strong rev limiter sort of pop pop the pm10-10 just doesn't want to rev that high and if ya do it's sort of screaming. Yet it has way more in the bottom end too

Something else I've noticed.. its economical compared to the 70cc saws even with the smaller old style 10-10 top. Pulled out the 4000 and was limbing these messy trees with it and dam its heavy in comparison.

I wanted a brake on it but after using it heaps in the brush I see why these old style saws don't really need 1. It can pull the chain slowly and safely and the lack of anti vibe keeps the nose stable and accurate. AV saws seem way more prone to kicking and especially the modern stuff plus there also revving faster.

Back