McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that one. I'm afraid I'll buy what looks like a pretty decent condition saw and there will be a diaphram or something in It bad that I can't find. I definitely wouldn't want to buy a 1 2 3-10 and have to use 10-10 tanks and air filter covers on them

Bama - Somewhere there are some posts on the bullfrog type carburetors as well. The diaphragms are usually available and the NLA duckbill valve can be replaced with the red Homelite one after a simple modification

Ed - Unfortunately there were several different styles of poppet valves in the DSP models, unless you have the IPL that corresponds with your saw serial number it can be very difficult to solve.

Mark

I've read that one. I'm afraid I'll buy what looks like a pretty decent condition saw and there will be a diaphram or something in It bad that I can't find. I definitely wouldn't want to buy a 1 2 3-10 and have to use 10-10 tanks and air filter covers on them

I would think given the long production run you would be able to swap to a carb with more readily available parts like a walbro sdc or Tillotson etc.

I read it requires a mac swap kit or changing the tank base and associated parts which changes it into something I already have

My thought exactly. I've already got a 10-10, I want my 1 and 2-10 saws to stay looking the way they do. I haven't had time lately to get back at the 2-10, it runs, but screams at idle. Mark and another guy gave me some things to check, just haven't had the time. Haven't touched the 1-10 yet, but it is a bit better cosmetically than the 2-10.

Yes,& unfortunately the ID tags are gone,so it looks like I'll be tapping that hole & plugging it with a bolt or something on that order.I'll put grease on the tap in hopes of catching all the chips,or I might be better off disassembbling the saw so I have a bare cylinder & can then clean it thoroughly afterwards.It's only a 54 cc saw,I don't know why they put DSP's on some & not others.
Ed

My 2-10 has just enough room to fit an sdc carb but... not the choke so I will make a sliding choke for it should be easy enough.

I want to keep it looking 2-10 also so thought I'll do that rather than change the tank out.

It can fit but the choke fouls the air cleaner

A couple pictures.. 20200117_173012.jpg 20200117_174221.jpg
20200117_173353.jpg
I have not drilled an taped it for the carb yet but that is it sitting all there as it will. 1 could also shorten up the carb spacer too if needed

A little bit of fab work for the air box cover stud I haven't tried the non spit back type yet perhaps it may work.

You could easily enough just unscrew the choke plate and flag the choke just pull off the lid and hand choke it and it will run all day from then on especially if it's a once in a blue moon runner or a little shot of mix to start it.

Honestly if its getting run once a month its probably due for a tweak on the jets anyway so no choke would be fine.

Here’s one of the 700’s. She’s stout. the other one needs an Oiler Assembly but comp and spark is good

Nice man have you cut with it yet?

Hopfully the cylinder is ok on that 7-10 that's about the only thing holding these old saws back really. Hopefully if they keep getting more n more popular someone might take 1 for the team and get cylinders made

Nice man have you cut with it yet?

Hopfully the cylinder is ok on that 7-10 that's about the only thing holding these old saws back really. Hopefully if they keep getting more n more popular someone might take 1 for the team and get cylinders made

haven’t done any “real” cutting with it, just a test cut in some maple chunks I have. I hope I can save the 7-10 but if not I got a really cool air filter cover out of it. It’s a “winged” cover that I’ve never seen before. I’ll get pics when I get home.

Back