McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thatd be a fair trade, id do the same, ive got a great running very strong xp1000 and a sxlao (xl12) that id trade off for a good 82cc mac also.
Vinny, where in WV are you? I have property in Hardy county. I might be having a week moment. I wouldn’t mind adding another 100CC to my red shelf. I have a Mac 550 I might trade. It’s on the top shelf, I might pull it down and play with it tomorrow if I start feeling better.

Yes the coil mount is transitional. It came with a small spacer. It does seem to be a pm700 block.
A rigid 82cc would be a handful, the cylinder is longer that the 70cc cylinders but im sure it can be done with enough ingenuity.

Interesting so easy enough to convert to electronic? Well Mac electronic that is

I never thought about the length thing with the 82cc the starter would have to stay forward and the tank slide back along with the cylinder and weather that meshes or can be made to I'm not sure. One would need to gather up the bits n see what happens obviously oiler rod will need extension. Shroud would be another thing too

Imagine how light this thing could be with the older mac tank. I notice starter covers got fatter and stronger too.

Its actually pretty cool to think about and love the 8-10 name that is perfect

G'day!
I've been enjoying the thread so thought i would finally join in... I have a few old Mac's, mostly 10 series stuff. I've been picking up old saws when i see them cheap over the last few years and now got a few runners & parts saws.
A customer heard of my saw fetish & dropped this old 7-10 Auto in for me the other day. She has spark & compression, so would be surprised if it didn't run.
I currently have a rough Pro Mac 55 in pieces on my bench getting a tidy up.
I will try to get some more pictures up when i can.
Cheers7-10.jpg 7-10.jpg

Attachments

• 7-10-2.jpg
    7-10-2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
My Pro Mac 55 I'm fixing up before i stripped it. I paid $5 for it! Muffler bolts were missing completely, fuel tank gasket leaks like a sieve & not sure why the starter cover had corroded so badly? But she ran! I have some parts to replace damaged ones, so hopefully will be a nice saw once i get it back together....pm55.jpg pm551.jpg pm552.jpg

Vinny, where in WV are you? I have property in Hardy county. I might be having a week moment. I wouldn’t mind adding another 100CC to my red shelf. I have a Mac 550 I might trade. It’s on the top shelf, I might pull it down and play with it tomorrow if I start feeling better.
Im in the northern panhandle. Near pa border. Closest town is Cameron. Marshall county

Thanks. All good over here mate!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cool man. Jeeeez that poor old 7-10 had it rough wow and yet yeah it'll probably run lol.

I’d call it an ass kicker.

It probably would be. A 10-10 lid on it and race your mates.

An SP81 with bad nubbers?

How's your sp81 doing? Last I remember it was better but still weren't "happy"

Other than ignition and external stuff is the 81 same porting? I know the 80 is different just wondering why they say the 850 is top dog in 82s ?? Is it purely the ignition?

I like the 81s I've never laid my sticky mitts on 1 but I like how the Mac logos are on the covers and the short brake too. Also think the 81 muffler looks nicer too over the 5 sided reed type.

Was handling my old 800 muffler yesterday and the 850... some say the big can is heavy well no not really bog all difference that I can feel. The 850 reed cover is a big thick bit of flat like 3mm maybe 4 might make my own for it 1 day

How's your sp81 doing? Last I remember it was better but still weren't "happy"

Still not "happy" with it. Hope to be in serious Mac mode here in a few days with a dedicated Mac bench (apart from my other work area) to first replace the piston in Kevin's 7-10, followed then by revisiting the SP81. If I can't derive any more joy from the existing points ignition, I intend to chip it just for comparison if nothing else.

My point in mentioning it is that it's already essentially the 82cc 10-10 you guys are conceptualizing, just with nubbers and isolators..., when if bad, are gonna provide a pretty bumpy cutting experience similar to any other of the hard tails. If you want an 82cc 10-10 hard tail, just replace the nubbers with metal bushings on an SP80/81 and there ya go! LOL

Still not "happy" with it. Hope to be in serious Mac mode here in a few days with a dedicated Mac bench (apart from my other work area) to first replace the piston in Kevin's 7-10, followed then by revisiting the SP81. If I can't derive any more joy from the existing points ignition, I intend to chip it just for comparison if nothing else.

My point in mentioning it is that it's already essentially the 82cc 10-10 you guys are conceptualizing, just with nubbers and isolators..., when if bad, are gonna provide a pretty bumpy cutting experience similar to any other of the hard tails. If you want an 82cc 10-10 hard tail, just replace the nubbers with metal bushings on an SP80/81 and there ya go! LOL

I'd like to try a chip too but so far all my points run perfectly touch wood. Be interesting your thoughts on it.

Can't wait to hear that the 7-10 is running I'm dam certain that's the issue with it. All those 3 finger cylinders of any cc all run the full skirt piston so it's just got to be

Yes you're right about the "nubberless" 81 but in a rigid frame it would be a little lighter and a little smaller too which could be good. I love my 7-10s for the weight and the maneuverability and still have a heap of grunt the lack of AV is nice at times I like the feel of it and seem to have a bit extra control especially with tricky fiddly stuff. The bar kind of deflects back to its natural position which may not be where you had it while cutting but the non AV the bar especially the nose doesn't do that they seem to be alot safer in that scenario. You don't have the nose hitting stuff you didn't intend on and when limbing a mess of a tree it's great.

Bit of a waffle there but does it make sense?

Hot glue FTW! I have an empty starter housing, I should take it to the guys in programming and see if they can lay something out for me. Perforated steel sheet laser cut then rolled and spot welded. Sounds like a lot of work though lol.

Wow would be a lot but could look good though. Really lucky to have Mark's 3d printed ones as an option

Back