McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll pull the clutch off and see if it still makes that noise. It does sort of sound like the the mag scraping. Hmm the coil is a little loose on the laminate (need to glue it per earlier post), maybe it slid out enough to drag on the magneto. Forgot about that...

As far as the idle screw - what I'm seeing on the saw does match the IPL for the tag that's in the tank (600052D). That doesn't mean that someone hasn't monkey'd with this saw in the past though. There was RTV in places there shouldn't be. :nofunny: This is my first adventure with a saw that has the case mounted idle screw however.

Took down a little more trees today. Just a couple fairly small pecan trees. Once again this 80 V electric saw is great.

467c649cc2a5d82620886440d103c568.jpg

9181b3ceca29d4cdfdc596175efe0459.jpg

The SP80 Is such a pleasure to run!

I have a question so long as we're on the topic of carb adjustment... My Pro Mac 10-10 has the carb with internal adjustments. Would it b possible to retro fit the airbox to do external adjustments? Or is that carb not configured to accomplish that? Also would I ruin the integrity of the airbox/fuel tank by drilling openings in the side?

vizette - I have found it necessary sometime to bend the tab (throttle tang per MS above) on the carburetor throttle shaft to allow proper idle speed adjustment if the carburetor came off another saw.

Paul - if you insist on external adjustments, find another fuel tank/air box and carburetor so you don't destroy the bits you have. Simply poking a hole in the air box to allow you to adjust the carburetor would also allow sawdust to enter below the air filter and get directly into the carburetor.

Mark

Might be on to something here... according to the IPL for saws with SN starting with 12, it should be a different idle screw, like this:
https://www.ebay.com/p/2074368030
More diamond shaped and less pointy shaped (<- technical terms)
I figured on it being the diamond shaped one. The one you have looks like the 10-10s one. Which may be a diffetent air box or angle than the 7-10. Youre on to it now. Id say youve got it nipped in the butt. The leaky seam is another story. Heck just check the 8 bolts. They may be loose. Might be that simple.

It’s a mac and it’s yellow or green and you can have it.
It came with the farm when I bought it and I never tried it Im a stihl guy.
Checked the county records and he bought the farm over 30 yrs ago.
I hate it when people do this **** to me.
He Says he will put it in the bed of the truck when he drops it off for repairs.
I don’t mind a **** tease but a chainsaw tease, I ain’t slept in two nights thinking about what she looks like.

Thanks Mark / Maintenance Supervisor / Vinny! That does look different, even though it is an SDC 44 (but not a 44A) - interesting. The other stamping is different too, but I don't know what the significance is. e.g. yours is 5-77 and the one on this saw is 5-72

I was wondering if it wasn't just that the tang needed to be tweaked, but based on what you posted and the IPL, I'm gonna say it's the wrong idle screw (or someone swapped tops).

If I end up taking this apart again, do you guys use motoseal (threebond, whatever) on the entire mating surface, including the bearings? Not at all? Just the case but not the bearings?

Thanks Mark / Maintenance Supervisor / Vinny! That does look different, even though it is an SDC 44 (but not a 44A) - interesting. The other stamping is different too, but I don't know what the significance is. e.g. yours is 5-77 and the one on this saw is 5-72

I was wondering if it wasn't just that the tang needed to be tweaked, but based on what you posted and the IPL, I'm gonna say it's the wrong idle screw (or someone swapped tops).

If I end up taking this apart again, do you guys use motoseal (threebond, whatever) on the entire mating surface, including the bearings? Not at all? Just the case but not the bearings?
Other stamping, I thought was date code.

Took some time off work. Needed a break from all the craziness. Put new lights up over the workbench and cleaned things up. Took the 850 out back and cut up the lilacs in the stick pile. Overkill but it needed to be run a bit.
Picked up a 5hp chipper the other day off CL. Went thru it and sharpened the knives and tuned it up. Had to get a poser pic next to some of the Macs.
AC7649A0-6E71-4EE8-AC07-297AD9E2A62A.jpeg

It’s 20 degrees out now, but mid day it should be about 60 and crystal clear skies. Might get that stick pile in the back yard taken care of.
A5844DDD-5B7F-4D6F-9592-E56B70B77924.jpeg

Take care everyone and be safe if you go out.

Youre welcome, i believe also its a date cide on the carburetor.
As for the mating surface, its like asking about oil. Lots of opinions. A few years ago i called and spoke to "the chainsaw guy", the one from youtube. The one at myrtle creek shop in oregon. I asked him that very question. It was before i joined this forum. He told me to assemble with a thin coating of silicone. I have used that since with zero issues. Ive used it on quite a few saws with zero issues. Just plain ol silicone sealant. But use what youre comfortable with.

It’s a mac and it’s yellow or green and you can have it.
It came with the farm when I bought it and I never tried it Im a stihl guy.
Checked the county records and he bought the farm over 30 yrs ago.
I hate it when people do this **** to me.
He Says he will put it in the bed of the truck when he drops it off for repairs.
I don’t mind a **** tease but a chainsaw tease, I ain’t slept in two nights thinking about what she looks like.
I can finally can get some sleep And she is Sweet.
i haven’t touched her except to check the serial no.
I would think a 1975 due to the 15 prefix.
She has a chain brake, Was that added later?
He threw in a bag of pastiches in also since he knows I like nuts, Fresh from California he buys 25 pounds direct from the grower a month.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Back