McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy watching ebay auctions, and saw that one the other day. It was at 830.00 on day one. Theres been a nos 700 on ebay for a very long time also. Buy it now is 1800.00.
Watched a DE80 go the other day for $455.00! It was pretty clean and ran well. I was surprised by that one.but thats auctions. Fun to watch.
I saw that DE80, I was surprised as well. especially with the video showing the compression check I figured it would go into the high 500-to low 600 range. Ya never know.

Time flies when you are having fun, but it doesn’t seem that long ago that someone here posted a NOS PM700 for $400. At the time there didn’t seem much love around here for the 700. To put things in perspective I paid $450 in January 1982 for my PM700 and thought I was getting a good deal.

Ron

Time flies when you are having fun, but it doesn’t seem that long ago that someone here posted a NOS PM700 for $400. At the time there didn’t seem much love around here for the 700. To put things in perspective I paid $450 in January 1982 for my PM700 and thought I was getting a good deal.

Ron
You couldve saved 50 bucks had you just waited 38 years...:D

Ron
Hell, I just bought that barely used creampuff 700 for 275.00 , so I did really well.
And I got an original bar cover.

Ron
Ron, You need that.

Brian

I bought 2 700's last yr.,one for $130,the other for $45.The $45 saw is the better of the 2.The $130 saw is junk,that's the one I posted about a while back with low compression & a busted oil tank.The $45 saw didn't have spark.The coil wire was gunked up with silicone sealant.I took the coil wire out,cut about 1/8 in.off,put it back in & it had spark.It didn't have a good chain brake,I found one here that I had laying around & put it on.The needles on the carb were closed,so I set them where they should be & the saw ran beautifully.It came with a 20 in.Windsor bar & chain.Maybe original?

I started tearing down the EB 2014 today.I'm taking parts off the 2016 that has bad crank seals & using them on the 2014.As I suspected the 2014 had a broken oil line.I pulled the flywheel to make sure that line going to the pad was good & also checked the plastic gear in the pump.Both were good.The 2014 will need new oil & fuel lines & transfer the ignition module & carb from the 2016.I hope to get it put back together & running over the next couple days.

I have a project going on for a friend on the forum, I'll let him chime in if he wants to. I came home with this tote some while back, I had rather forgotten about it until I was moving things around as my son's place. SP80, SP81E, and PM850...all in pretty bad shape. The 850 is stuck tight, the 81E feels like it may be full of sand, the 80 at least would turn over so I started with that one.

20200527_081028.jpg

A thorough cleaning and inspection is always a good place to start.

20200527_132157.jpg

The cylinder is in very good shape but the piston was junk and the crank shaft appears to have suffered from setting in moisture.

20200527_132636.jpg

20200527_132708.jpg

20200527_132805.jpg

20200527_132815.jpg

In addition to the aforementioned problems, the points box was half melted, the coil was cracked, and the plug wire had insulation missing...the bottom plate was also cracked and the wrap handle had a big hole in it from a flying chain.

Mark

I have a project going on for a friend on the forum, I'll let him chime in if he wants to. I came home with this tote some while back, I had rather forgotten about it until I was moving things around as my son's place. SP80, SP81E, and PM850...all in pretty bad shape. The 850 is stuck tight, the 81E feels like it may be full of sand, the 80 at least would turn over so I started with that one.

View attachment 832762

A thorough cleaning and inspection is always a good place to start.

View attachment 832763

The cylinder is in very good shape but the piston was junk and the crank shaft appears to have suffered from setting in moisture.

View attachment 832764

View attachment 832765

View attachment 832766

View attachment 832767

In addition to the aforementioned problems, the points box was half melted, the coil was cracked, and the plug wire had insulation missing...the bottom plate was also cracked and the wrap handle had a big hole in it from a flying chain.

Mark

Looks like the best puzzle box ever!

A trip to the attic turned up an NOS piston and crank shaft, a bottom plate in good shape, and the ignition from some long forgotten project saw. Here it is going back together with new seals, new gaskets, the "new" ignition with a good coil and replacement wire, and many original type screws in place of the odd fastener here and there as I found it.

20200529_073240.jpg

I thought I'd better test the fuel tank before I assembled the whole saw, good thing too since it was leaking in the area where the wrap handle attaches. I gave it a good cleaning and the Red Kote treatment.

20200529_073253.jpg

The SP80 came with a different clutch than any of the other 10 Series saws and until I started messing with this one I didn't remember the OD was smaller.

20200529_090938.jpg

20200529_091054.jpg

All together now. I'll give it a couple more days to make sure the Red Kote is fully cured before adding fuel.

20200601_190808.jpg

20200601_190816.jpg

Nice H&S spike. You can't see it but I was able to repair the handle using some of the miracle aluminum rods and a propane torch.

20200601_190823.jpg

20200601_190830.jpg

Mark

A trip to the attic turned up an NOS piston and crank shaft, a bottom plate in good shape, and the ignition from some long forgotten project saw. Here it is going back together with new seals, new gaskets, the "new" ignition with a good coil and replacement wire, and many original type screws in place of the odd fastener here and there as I found it.

View attachment 832768

I thought I'd better test the fuel tank before I assembled the whole saw, good thing too since it was leaking in the area where the wrap handle attaches. I gave it a good cleaning and the Red Kote treatment.

View attachment 832769

The SP80 came with a different clutch than any of the other 10 Series saws and until I started messing with this one I didn't remember the OD was smaller.

View attachment 832770

View attachment 832771

All together now. I'll give it a couple more days to make sure the Red Kote is fully cured before adding fuel.

View attachment 832773

View attachment 832774

Nice H&S spike. You can't see it but I was able to repair the handle using some of the miracle aluminum rods and a propane torch.

View attachment 832775

View attachment 832776

Mark

I take it the original crank was going to leak with that kind of scoring? Or would the bearing be the issue?

View attachment 832768

View attachment 832769

View attachment 832770

View attachment 832771

View attachment 832773

View attachment 832774

View attachment 832775

View attachment 832776

Mark
Do you put anything around the boot flanges to seal it?

The crank shaft was badly pitted in the area where the bearing rides, I was concerned about the crank shaft and bearing turning into a disaster. If it was just at GTG saw for a few runs a year I would have left it but I expect this saw will be used regularly.

In this case I did put a light film of Dirko on the tank side of the flange since both the boot and the tank were a little rough. If the parts are in good shape no sealer is needed.

As noted in the initial post, this one is a rebuild for a good friend, he wanted two of the three to run again but that just may not be possible. I'll know more when I get inside the 81E.

I do have a few spares of the 80/81 saws but I won't be getting in the little garage to sort them out for a while.

Mark

And I thought we were just cutting wood...

So forgive me but I want to tell a quick story. Today I have been cutting up some 16-21" poplar that was left laying long from clearing out around my shop a month ago. I got out the SP81 with a new 24" bar to do so. The saw was my fathers, I grew up around it. he bought it from my uncle who go it from his dad (Poppy). I found out just the other week it was Poppy's favorite felling saw for a couple years. My uncle grew up in a logging family and the 82cc Macs were their saw of choice for many a year. So much so that my uncle learned to rebuild and fix them, and has hoarded parts for 20 plus years. For years the SP81 of my fathers set in the corner in a shop. I grabbed it one day after years of neglect and it would not pop. Now years prior my uncle had rebuilt this saw for my dad after a friend put straight gas in it and blew it. The saw had ran super (no pun intended) for years after that so I knew it could run again. I asked my uncle to fix it. I took it to him and he said the carburetor need rebuilt. I said will you do it, he said no. But I will show you how. That started my rekindled love of the 82cc Macs. I have been learning steadily more about keeping them running since. since then I have acquired an DE80, and a 8200. I have an 800 I am getting ready to tear down, and an 850 on the way. My uncles health is failing the past few years and these old saws have given me some quality time with him I will forever cherish. I thought about all this today as the ole SP81 ate up that poplar. That saw holds a lifetime of memories, ran by some truly great men. Keeping them running and working is a duty I both enjoy and relish. All those years around those men and those saws. I thought we were cutting wood, when we were really making cherished memories.

So forgive me but I want to tell a quick story. Today I have been cutting up some 16-21" popular that was left laying long from clearing out around my shop a month ago. I got out the SP81 with a new 24" bar to do so. The saw was my fathers, I grew up around it. he bought it from my uncle who go it from his dad (Poppy). I found out just the other week it was Poppy's favorite felling saw for a couple years. My uncle grew up in a logging family and the 82cc Macs were their saw of choice for many a year. So much so that my uncle learned to rebuild and fix them, and has hoarded parts for 20 plus years. For years the SP81 of my fathers set in the corner in a shop. I grabbed it one day after years of neglect and it would not pop. Now years prior my uncle had rebuilt this saw for my dad after a friend put straight gas in it and blew it. The saw had ran super (no pun intended) for years after that so I knew it could run again. I asked my uncle to fix it. I took it to him and he said the carburetor need rebuilt. I said will you do it, he said no. But I will show you how. That started my rekindled love of the 82cc Macs. I have been learning steadily more about keeping them running since. since then I have acquired an DE80, and a 8200. I have an 800 I am getting ready to tear down, and an 850 on the way. My uncles health is failing the past few years and these old saws have given me some quality time with him I will forever cherish. I thought about all this today as the ole SP81 ate up that popular. That saw holds a lifetime of memories, ran by some truly great men. Keeping them running and working is a duty I both enjoy and relish. All those years around those men and those saws. I thought we were cutting wood, when we were really making cherished memories.
Great story!!

So forgive me but I want to tell a quick story. Today I have been cutting up some 16-21" poplar that was left laying long from clearing out around my shop a month ago. I got out the SP81 with a new 24" bar to do so. The saw was my fathers, I grew up around it. he bought it from my uncle who go it from his dad (Poppy). I found out just the other week it was Poppy's favorite felling saw for a couple years. My uncle grew up in a logging family and the 82cc Macs were their saw of choice for many a year. So much so that my uncle learned to rebuild and fix them, and has hoarded parts for 20 plus years. For years the SP81 of my fathers set in the corner in a shop. I grabbed it one day after years of neglect and it would not pop. Now years prior my uncle had rebuilt this saw for my dad after a friend put straight gas in it and blew it. The saw had ran super (no pun intended) for years after that so I knew it could run again. I asked my uncle to fix it. I took it to him and he said the carburetor need rebuilt. I said will you do it, he said no. But I will show you how. That started my rekindled love of the 82cc Macs. I have been learning steadily more about keeping them running since. since then I have acquired an DE80, and a 8200. I have an 800 I am getting ready to tear down, and an 850 on the way. My uncles health is failing the past few years and these old saws have given me some quality time with him I will forever cherish. I thought about all this today as the ole SP81 ate up that popular. That saw holds a lifetime of memories, ran by some truly great men. Keeping them running and working is a duty I both enjoy and relish. All those years around those men and those saws. I thought we were cutting wood, when we were really making cherished memories.

I didn't want that story to end. Its really cool hearing the life of a saw. Most of mine are from owners who have passed and the story's can no longer be heard but the scars on the yellow paint remain. If only they could talk. Some are half a century old and still cutting wood.

Tell us some more :)

I need an 81

Back