McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys for the input on sprockets. I have not tried to get sprockets for my old Macs but on my Canadien it's a one piece drum / sprocket, and parts are HARD to find. Since there's more activity on this forum I was curious what had been seen running work sprockets.

still about sprockets, someone has a picture of a good worn sprocket that should be thrown in the trash ??
for I now when I need to replace it.

Thanks Guys for the input on sprockets. I have not tried to get sprockets for my old Macs but on my Canadien it's a one piece drum / sprocket, and parts are HARD to find. Since there's more activity on this forum I was curious what had been seen running work sprockets.
Macs are much, much easier to get parts for than the Canadiens. A ton of the clutch parts interchange across lots of models so it makes it pretty easy.

I've run my fair share of worn sprockets and new chains etc, and yeah, sure it causes a bit of premature wear, but i'm not production cutting so it doesn't bother me much. Obviously I do change out sprockets when they get bad, but so far the only one i'm worried about is the one on my milling saw. I don't see a lot of 090 spline drive drums around.

Macs are much, much easier to get parts for than the Canadiens. A ton of the clutch parts interchange across lots of models so it makes it pretty easy.

I've run my fair share of worn sprockets and new chains etc, and yeah, sure it causes a bit of premature wear, but i'm not production cutting so it doesn't bother me much. Obviously I do change out sprockets when they get bad, but so far the only one i'm worried about is the one on my milling saw. I don't see a lot of 090 spline drive drums around.

Thanks for the input!

On dirtbikes / ATVs you would never run a shot chain on new sprockets, but you could run a new chain on worn sprockets. Essentially because it was the chain that elongated (stretch was a misnomer) and would wipe out new sprockets. I don't completely understand why a worn chainsaw sprocket will ruin a new chain, but it looks as though it will actually gouge into the sideplates.

Thanks for the input!

On dirtbikes / ATVs you would never run a shot chain on new sprockets, but you could run a new chain on worn sprockets. Essentially because it was the chain that elongated (stretch was a misnomer) and would wipe out new sprockets. I don't completely understand why a worn chainsaw sprocket will ruin a new chain, but it looks as though it will actually gouge into the sideplates.
Correct the drive link drops down on the spur or rim face , basically hammering the chain off the link and surface with every rotation ., I've seen a rim nearly worn in 2 by a chain and the drive links were marring the spline drive!
I'm not sure which rims or spurs are the best quality material as far as the name brands but I'd like to cryogenically treat one some day to get some more use out of one.
Oh buy the way after your drive links have dropped down and are smashing against the flats the drive link tail starts to get alittle flat on the face of it which gets drug through your bar rail and the bar gets hot and cooks oil and screws the guage width of the bar , I've seen it totally blue and screw a new bar in a month of infrequent use , state workers an experiment in longevity!

I have a couple of new clutch drums that will fit the 270 or 275 Canadien saws.

This is a badly worn spur

View attachment 833206

This is a badly worn rim sprocket.

View attachment 833207

And this is a broken nose sprocket.

View attachment 833208

I was running the SP125 today when the chain stopped moving, I now know why.

Mark
I've never seen a rim worn that badly before.I do have a bar that was on a Homelite Super Mini that looked like they were using it to dig dirt with.I don't even know why they bothered shipping it with the saw.Lol

Need some help identifying this McCulloch. Never owned a McCulloch before. Looks like 1-10 or a 10-10?C1FEEAD4-615A-4230-B353-31F5DE71C123.jpeg267B2733-66EF-4E63-A24E-B4CA52AF29FE.jpeg4A09526A-595C-4741-A0AA-57F4DAF9BCA1.jpeg71337C09-E225-420E-BA7A-BACE35623352.jpeg4E06442D-A9EB-4AD6-9154-E0CD7398F6AC.jpeg15CE44CB-BEA4-426D-8A1A-D4E9F2EF228B.jpeg What do you peeps think?

Attachments

• 4C28EBDA-EA73-437B-A974-9DE2730F2E37.jpeg
    4C28EBDA-EA73-437B-A974-9DE2730F2E37.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Any idea how to find a carburetor kit to rebuild this old style carb? I did some looking around and it sounds like they are a “bullfrog”. Are there different styles of these types of carb or are they universal?

Any idea how to find a carburetor kit to rebuild this old style carb? I did some looking around and it sounds like they are a “bullfrog”. Are there different styles of these types of carb or are they universal?
Not a lot of love on here for the Mac bullfrog carb. Most will tell you to swap to a walbro sdc. I've got both a 1-10 and a 2-10 and I'm gonna try and make them run with the bullfrog carbs. My 2-10 does pop over and try to run but diaphragm is hard. Diaphragms are available on eBay, full kits are a little harder to come by. This is my 2-10, I'd say yours looks similar. I don't believe the 1-10 has an auto oiler so can look in oil tank and see if there is a pump.20200304_215448.jpg

Yup I would agree that they certainly do look very similar. I’ll check for the oiler. Thanks for the tips.

I think I will try to get this saw running with the carb that’s in it. Not really interested in investing a lot of time or money. The saw was a cheap pick up and a good opportunity to dip my toe in the Mcculloch pool.

As I understand it there arer something like 14 (or 24) steps to just trying to tune the bullfrog.Mark Heimann is the guy to talk to about the bullfrog.Bob Johnson has the conversion kits to change to a Walbro SDC,but the last I knew they were over $100.

Well.....both of those options sound terrible....this saw is sounding like It’s getting pushed to the back off the line or a good rainy day fix if I ever get caught up with other project saws.

Well.....both of those options sound terrible....this saw is sounding like It’s getting pushed to the back off the line or a good rainy day fix if I ever get caught up with other project saws.
Well you never know. It's funny seems like guys have terrible luck with bullfrog carbs on 10 series Macs. However, I've had a few on large frame Macs, including the 380 I have right now that runs flawless without even opening it up. The primer even works mint and doesn't leak. Of course the design on the large frame Macs is a bit different and looks a bit more robust.20200506_174626.jpg

Back