McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll have to take closer look at things. My expectations are low based on the smell that came out of the fuel tank! I can’t imagine it will fire as is.....but you never know I guess....Primer is seized...she’s been out of action for a loooooong time Id say

Well you never know. It's funny seems like guys have terrible luck with bullfrog carbs on 10 series Macs. However, I've had a few on large frame Macs, including the 380 I have right now that runs flawless without even opening it up. The primer even works mint and doesn't leak. Of course the design on the large frame Macs is a bit different and looks a bit more robust.View attachment 833302
Those carbs are referred to more as "flat backs" rather than bullfrogs.Although technically they're both flat backs.

I’ll have to take closer look at things. My expectations are low based on the smell that came out of the fuel tank! I can’t imagine it will fire as is.....but you never know I guess....Primer is seized...she’s been out of action for a loooooong time Id say
Ya never know. I have dumped some nasty stuff out of a saw and had it pop and run well. sometimes we get lucky. I hope you do!

Miracles happen...

This is my Uncle.. He has/is teaching me how to keep the 82cc saws running. The doctor told him 3 years ago he would never be able to run a saw again. This is him running his favorite 805 in a test block. The saw had set with fuel in it for 5 years. I dumped the tank, refueled and about 12 pulls later she popped. We did a carb adjust and she ran. Miracle? Maybe. Sorry for the finger in the shot. I had a screw driver in my hand lol.. Beautiful moment when he asked me to bury the bar in the wood so he could run it. Never thought I would get to see this sight that I grew up on again. Beautiful moment, and I wanted to record it.

Attachments

• Uncle and his 805 orginal.MOV
    49.2 MB
Miracles happen...

This is my Uncle.. He has/is teaching me how to keep the 82cc saws running. The doctor told him 3 years ago he would never be able to run a saw again. This is him running his favorite 805 in a test block. The saw had set with fuel in it for 5 years. I dumped the tank, refueled and about 12 pulls later she popped. We did a carb adjust and she ran. Miracle? Maybe. Sorry for the finger in the shot. I had a screw driver in my hand lol.. Beautiful moment when he asked me to bury the bar in the wood so he could run it. Never thought I would get to see this sight that I grew up on again. Beautiful moment, and I wanted to record it.

That's really cool man. Can definitely tell he's spent a day or two on the end of a mac the way he pumped the oiler. No diddling about with a thumb give that bar some handfuls of oil:)

How old is the old boy?

The bar is a Sugihara - Chainsawr had the replacement sprockets available so I have a couple coming. Always good to have a spare on hand, right?

XL - with the black tank it is most likely a 2-10 or 3-10. The 10 Series McCulloch carburetors were referred to as the bullfrog, the Walbro MAC carburetors were referred to as the flat back. It biggest problem with the bullfrog is some used an NLA duck bill valve in the primer circuit so you either have to abandon the primer or modify the carburetor. The standard SDC conversion involved replacing the lower 1/2 of the fuel tank so the mount is correct for the SDC or HS carburetor. There were at least 5 different variations of the bullfrog carburetors and the diaphragms are not once type fits all so try to maintain yours when you open up the carburetor to make sure you get the correct replacement.

Mark

I put my PM55 to work today to noodle up some large rounds of American Elm. The tree had been dead for a few years and cut down for at least 9 months but it was still quite wet in the center. I cut the "rounds" at about 16" since I was giving most of this firewood to a local family and their wood stove can't handle longer pieces. With a 16" bar and the spikes I could not quite reach all the way through them, perfect since I could just leave the rounds standing in place and cut them down to a size I could manage in the splitter.

Yesterday it looked like this.

20200603_081723.jpg

Two truckloads (Ranger) and two trailer loads later it looks like this.

20200604_143123.jpg

If you are not familiar with American Elm, it really doesn't split well at all so I left a lot of the pieces with knots and crotches for the land owner to deal with. I broke the nose sprocket on the SP125 on this one yesterday.

20200604_143109.jpg

Mark

When I bought my house 32 yrs.ago I needed firewood in a hurry.I called a trre service & they brought 3 tandem dump truck loads of Dutch elm to the house.I had to borrow a 30 in.bar & chain to fit my Olympik 254 & had to come in from both sides to cut those behemoths.I ended up with about 25 cord of wood.The splitting of that stuff was unbelievable .You can't center Dutch elm to split it,you have to peel it off a little at a time.Young & dumb.Lol

When I was much younger, like 50+ years ago...we cut a lot of dead elms and of course had no hydraulic log splitter in those days. I can remember having all 7 of our steel splitting wedges buried in a log and giving it a few days before pounding some more to try and get it to come apart. Sad thing was we would do it over and over.

Why didn't I learn to use the saw to cut them apart?

Mark

When I was much younger, like 50+ years ago...we cut a lot of dead elms and of course had no hydraulic log splitter in those days. I can remember having all 7 of our steel splitting wedges buried in a log and giving it a few days before pounding some more to try and get it to come apart. Sad thing was we would do it over and over.

Why didn't I learn to use the saw to cut them apart?

Mark

LOL A few years ago I had some rounds of wet red oak in the back of my pickup so big that I couldn't move them when I got home (had help getting them in). I'm sure I must have looked like the biggest redneck standing in the back of my truck quartering rounds with my chainsaw just so I could get them out. No way I was going to try to split that by hand...

I've heard that Elm is a bear to split, but never had the "pleasure".

Not a lot of love on here for the Mac bullfrog carb. Most will tell you to swap to a walbro sdc. I've got both a 1-10 and a 2-10 and I'm gonna try and make them run with the bullfrog carbs. My 2-10 does pop over and try to run but diaphragm is hard. Diaphragms are available on eBay, full kits are a little harder to come by. This is my 2-10, I'd say yours looks similar. I don't believe the 1-10 has an auto oiler so can look in oil tank and see if there is a pump.View attachment 833294
I love the old bar cover advertising.

I was 6 yrs.old in '64 when we moved onto the farm my dad had bought.The one side of the driveway was lined with Dutch elms.And then came the Dutch elm disease that had wiped out over 90-95% of those trees.My dad had a friend of the family come over & cut those trees down.Some of those logs lay there for well over 10 yrs.& they didn't rot.About 10-15 yrs.later the stumps began to grow new shoots.I don't know if they went into a state of dormancy while they built up an imunity to that dreadful disease.There was one Dutch elm on my property I now own.We had a late frost one yr.in June & killed the tree,after all it had been through.

I don't mind getting American elm scores for firewood. It is a bit of a pain to split, but noodling the big rounds in half then working around the edge usually works well. Another trick is to split them when they are frozen. They split so much easier. I actually struggle much more with big black cherry rounds than I do elm....talk about stringy!

The black cherry here isn't too bad to split,unless it was out in the open where the wind would cause it to twist as it grew.If in the forest,it grows straight & they protect each other.

The black cherry here isn't too bad to split,unless it was out in the open where the wind would cause it to twist as it grew.If in the forest,it grows straight & they protect each other.

Good to know, haven't noticed that. Most of the cherry I get are yard trees that have come down, so yes more in the open.

Back