McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shout out to Lil Red Barn for a new rim clutch drum for the Super 250! Came with a 3/8-8 rim and needle bearing, which is exactly what I wanted, and mounted it up with a Homelite 24" bar I had with a new Oregon 72LGX. Sunk that entire bar into a noodle cut and it didn't even think about it - of course, with that ridiculous spike there's only 20" of that bar available to actually cut with :laugh:

20200703_204328.jpg20200703_204341.jpg

Comparing LRB rim to legit Oregon 3/8-8 rim - Oregon on the bottom.
20200703_223832.jpg20200703_223846.jpg

Oregon on the right here - I did notice the chain catching on the new rim from LRB a little. Running it on the saw, it was fine, but pulling the chain around on the bench, it felt like it would bind a little now and then. I think the Oregon would be less prone to this due to the chamfer they put on their slots, but I haven't tested that theory. I'm assuming that after the new one wears in a bit that won't be an issue - time will tell!
20200703_223913.jpg

Only about 20" of actual bar usable, but man it looks mean. I might bead blast the bar and paint it black if I keep it on this saw, but I'm thinking a 28" light weight Tsumura is the way to go, and would look pretty sick on this thing to boot. Part of me hates to bead blast off the "Homelite" lettering too. Not sure if I'd do skip or not? Got a Partner 440 with 28" skip and that thing is out of control!
20200706_012351.jpeg

This is my second purchase from LRB - honestly I should go there one day, it's only a couple hours away, although that'd probably be a dangerous/expensive trip!

First purchase was an aftermarket piston for an echo leaf blower. Everything went well with that, except the wrist pin clips kinda sucked, so I reused the originals. The wrist pin was also tight on one side of the piston - I "honed" it with some scotchbrite green in the drill for a couple seconds and everything went well after that.

Got a 7-10 rebuild going on with an LRB piston now. Going well, and tolerances seem good with the new piston, but the supplied wrist pin slides right through the crank, and since there's that whole press-fit thing that's supposed to be happening... meh. So I re-used the original wrist pin after pressing out the old bearings and putting them in the new piston. More on that soon - got pics of the new piston, but the rebuild is otherwise pending bead blasting and repainting. I just had this running with a donor crank/piston and it was pretty strong, so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Recently acquired a Mcculloch 1-42, after looking the saw over( waiting for a new diaphragm kit) it has a hard and brittle gas line that connects to the carb, however the gas line that is in the fuel tank seems to be ok. Does this saw have a two piece fuel line and what size of hose would I need to replace the current one? What would be the best way to replace the old fuel hose.

Shout out to Lil Red Barn for a new rim clutch drum for the Super 250! Came with a 3/8-8 rim and needle bearing, which is exactly what I wanted, and mounted it up with a Homelite 24" bar I had with a new Oregon 72LGX. Sunk that entire bar into a noodle cut and it didn't even think about it - of course, with that ridiculous spike there's only 20" of that bar available to actually cut with :laugh:

View attachment 840726View attachment 840727

View attachment 840728View attachment 840729

Oregon on the right here - I did notice the chain catching on the new rim from LRB a little. Running it on the saw, it was fine, but pulling the chain around on the bench, it felt like it would bind a little now and then. I think the Oregon would be less prone to this due to the chamfer they put on their slots, but I haven't tested that theory. I'm assuming that after the new one wears in a bit that won't be an issue - time will tell!
View attachment 840730

Only about 20" of actual bar usable, but man it looks mean. I might bead blast the bar and paint it black if I keep it on this saw, but I'm thinking a 28" light weight Tsumura is the way to go, and would look pretty sick on this thing to boot. Part of me hates to bead blast off the "Homelite" lettering too. Not sure if I'd do skip or not? Got a Partner 440 with 28" skip and that thing is out of control!
View attachment 840731

This is my second purchase from LRB - honestly I should go there one day, it's only a couple hours away, although that'd probably be a dangerous/expensive trip!

First purchase was an aftermarket piston for an echo leaf blower. Everything went well with that, except the wrist pin clips kinda sucked, so I reused the originals. The wrist pin was also tight on one side of the piston - I "honed" it with some scotchbrite green in the drill for a couple seconds and everything went well after that.

Got a 7-10 rebuild going on with an LRB piston now. Going well, and tolerances seem good with the new piston, but the supplied wrist pin slides right through the crank, and since there's that whole press-fit thing that's supposed to be happening... meh. So I re-used the original wrist pin after pressing out the old bearings and putting them in the new piston. More on that soon - got pics of the new piston, but the rebuild is otherwise pending bead blasting and repainting. I just had this running with a donor crank/piston and it was pretty strong, so I'm excited to see how it turns out.
Does the Super 250 have an sdc carb?

View attachment 840726View attachment 840727

View attachment 840728View attachment 840729

View attachment 840730

View attachment 840731

That's the first machined clutch drum I've seen. Is it hard steel? It should ring if you tap it with a piece of steel.

Pretty sure you'll find either a McCulloch carb or a Tillotson. There is a specified range of serial numbers in the IPL's for each type.

This. Mine has the Mac carb.

That's the first machined clutch drum I've seen. Is it hard steel? It should ring if you tap it with a piece of steel.

Rings like a bell. Am I the only one that likes the ringing when the tune gets just to the point that it dings every now and then when it fires? Honestly I take that as a sign that the spring(s) are getting weak, but I don't mind - until it starts grabbing full time.

vizette - check that piston very carefully, the one I got from LRB for the 70 cc McCulloch saws did not have the ring groove cut deep enough and the assembly would not fit in the bore.

Thanks for the heads up! Will double (triple) check before final re-assembly.

Curb alert - I've got a 10 series Mac flocked filter, sans flocking, if anyone is into re-flocking and wants a legit one (you pay for the ride). The mesh is intact, there's just one spot where it's starting to break apart at the edge, but it's all still there. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that could be soldered? Anyway, it's the "pointy" style, like below - which BTW I just picked up a couple of those, they seem really nice so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUKES-AIR-...0-PM555-PRO-MAC-10-SERIES-216685/283849552267

vizette - check that piston very carefully, the one I got from LRB for the 70 cc McCulloch saws did not have the ring groove cut deep enough and the assembly would not fit in the bore.

Mark

I feel like it was Brian had same issue with an 82cc piston and had to re cut the grooves but it may have been someone else. Ummm Kevin machayes who posts here every now and then has a few LRBs in a 70 and 82 pretty sure so I guess the issues been sorted hopefully. No excuse really though and the pin not fitting is kinda comical I guess but terrible.

Thats a cool little keeper
Hi Jethro, not sure if this is how to communicate, or what have you.. anyway, I’m having a bit of a clean up and have a vintage Homelite C51 chainsaw And a homelite xl12. They are yours if you want. No charge. Both need work but good start to a homelite collection :). Sing out and I’ll box them up and send down to you.

Hi Jethro, not sure if this is how to communicate, or what have you.. anyway, I’m having a bit of a clean up and have a vintage Homelite C51 chainsaw And a homelite xl12. They are yours if you want. No charge. Both need work but good start to a homelite collection :). Sing out and I’ll box them up and send down to you.

Hey Sean mate how ya doing up there? I'll flick you a private message :) I still have my homelite virginity

Can someone please help me identify this saw?
0d16ac83b6eff24e64dd5b54f6ec98e3.jpg
c832ee344da1d176c13efd3d47c046dc.jpg

Homelite collector in training! [emoji879]

Mac 15,their first ''consumer saw'' produced December 1962 to March 1969.4.9 cube 80cc,a very much watered down 250 basically.

Kinda neat old saws actually,that are fairly common they have a niche following.A guy on McCulloch FB forum hot rodded a couple of his - he machined new velocity stacks,made a pop up piston,another one he fitted a 797 piston/cylinder to one,along with a gear drive :laughing:

Can someone please help me identify this saw?
0d16ac83b6eff24e64dd5b54f6ec98e3.jpg
c832ee344da1d176c13efd3d47c046dc.jpg

Homelite collector in training! [emoji879]
If you are seeing that marketplace add you must he close to me, where are you located? I'm in Townsend MA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back