McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing about being that dirty and not greasy is that the points are probably shot, unless it was an extremely dry dirt floor.
New points and possibly a stolen condenser from a mini mac and it'll cut.

My greatest concern with anything that sits on the ground or a damp environment is corrosion / pitting on internal parts, bearing surfaces, because then it's junk.

I'll post it here since you fellows are the most helpful. Local repair shop is looking for a short block or replacement engine for a John Deere 345, he describes it as a 20 HP liquid cooled, FD611V. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

The tractor does has some yellow in the color scheme...

And to keep it on track, Mike Jackson from California came for a visit this week. Mike's dad Robert Jackson worked in the Engineering department at McCulloch during the glory years and was responsible for much of the electrical and electronic design. Mike brought a PM60 and PM655 that came from the "lab" with various parts missing or broken and we made our best effort to make them whole again. Both left the shop in running order.'

20200708_081115.jpg

Mark

I'll post it here since you fellows are the most helpful. Local repair shop is looking for a short block or replacement engine for a John Deere 345, he describes it as a 20 HP liquid cooled, FD611V. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

The tractor does has some yellow in the color scheme...

And to keep it on track, Mike Jackson from California came for a visit this week. Mike's dad Robert Jackson worked in the Engineering department at McCulloch during the glory years and was responsible for much of the electrical and electronic design. Mike brought a PM60 and PM655 that came from the "lab" with various parts missing or broken and we made our best effort to make them whole again. Both left the shop in running order.'

View attachment 841342

Mark
Mark,

That is very cool to have Mike visit your shop, I bet he has some great stories.

As far as the tractor engine. I'm a member on the John Deere forum Green Gractor Talk. Many times people will post looking for a replacement engine, a short block, etc. I would suggest they sign up and post a thread in the Lawn and Garden Tractors forum:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/lawn-garden-tractors.2/
Many times people will know a source or even have a spare engine lying around. That appears to be a vertical shaft Kawasaki engine, which is not a very rare platform. They could even possibly do a repower with a similar Honda or Briggs Engine.

AJ

Mark,

That is very cool to have Mike visit your shop, I bet he has some great stories.

As far as the tractor engine. I'm a member on the John Deere forum Green Gractor Talk. Many times people will post looking for a replacement engine, a short block, etc. I would suggest they sign up and post a thread in the Lawn and Garden Tractors forum:

Many times people will know a source or even have a spare engine lying around. That appears to be a vertical shaft Kawasaki engine, which is not a very rare platform. They could even possibly do a repower with a similar Honda or Briggs Engine.

AJ

What about a Mac engine lol be kinda like a small Detroit.

The BP twin Mark :)

Mark,

AJ
The problem with a repower is the "Liquid Cooled" part.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The problem with a repower is the "Liquid Cooled" part.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I guess it would depend on the layout under the cowl, if there was room and adequate venting. It's very common to repower the older Onan powered JD tractors with a Honda or Briggs because they are so expensive to rebuild. Some of the small JDs like a 430 had a small liquid cooled Yanmar diesel engine with the radiator on the back of the engine behind the dash, something like that would be difficult or impossible to use a different engine. I don't know much about a JD 345.

I need to head to the shop and post my 2 saws up for sale.
cef59bfca1bc10614639bd068e986779.jpg

Homelite collector in training! [emoji879]

I was asked the other day by a guy about mcculloch saws. After some talking he asked what i thought the hardest to come by 10 series saw was? I really didnt know. So im asking opinions...what would you guys say the hardest to come by or least talked about 10 series would be? The sp70 was made only one year, they dont come up for sale often (ebay wise). Hardly ever hear anything about them. And not many videos on youtube of people using them. It may not be the rarest 10 series but perhaps least talked about. What are your thoughts? Lets hear some opinions.

I have to agree with Mark on the 5-10G.Other than 2broke's 5-10 I haven't seen or heard of another one.Another in the 10 series is the 4-10,just don't see many of them around either.

Latest posts

Back