McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SP 40 is all back together, just have to try to starting it. I would hope it runs, spark is hot and carb was completely gone through, 150psi compression.

Next project is most likely fixing the carb on my Mini Mac 25.
Definitely gonna have to do a video of it running, and doing some break in cuts.

The hardest part was finding and shortening the required 3/8 mounting bolts.
Just trim em to length flush with the nut/cover. The nuts should be in the recesses on the inside of the cover with lock washers under the heads of the fasteners on the outside. Cleaner. Safer.

SP Spike Mounting.jpg

Hey if I can balance my phone on a log or garbage can I'm sure you can! I don't think any of us on here are Martin Scorsese.
The saw started in only about 10 pulls, from being bone-dry. At one point I was depressed about how rich it was running, until I realized the choke was half on! The chain is junk, sharpened all wrong by someone, but it's good power and will sit and idle. The auto oiler works, I had it set too high and it puked out the entire tank of oil!

How do I share a video? Youtube?

Ok...sorry for the awful video, I had only a little time. I was also wearing shorts and flip flops. Like I said the chain needs major fixing or replacement, it cuts to one side and binds. But, nothing like some Mcculloch exhaust sound! And BTW, that gimmicky muffler....its just as loud as my Mini Macs, haha

Ok...sorry for the awful video, I had only a little time. I was also wearing shorts and flip flops. Like I said the chain needs major fixing or replacement, it cuts to one side and binds. But, nothing like some Mcculloch exhaust sound! And BTW, that gimmicky muffler....its just as loud as my Mini Macs, haha

Hey that little mac sounds great! Looks strong too.
You might want to go with a new chain there's some new .325 that's got a "Pro" profile that Oregon has and I heard poulan has a skip tooth .325 chain! Either way depending on the chain sometimes I run out of tooth before I get one straightened out.
Nice job on the rebuild.
And your video reminds me of (The Blair Witch) movie a little.

Hey that little mac sounds great! Looks strong too.
You might want to go with a new chain there's some new .325 that's got a "Pro" profile that Oregon has and I heard poulan has a skip tooth .325 chain! Either way depending on the chain sometimes I run out of tooth before I get one straightened out.
Nice job on the rebuild.
And your video reminds me of (The Blair Witch) movie a little.
Lol Blair Witch...yep pretty close, except if that MF witch showed up she'd have gotten dismembered by my LITTLE FRIEND!!

The saw currently has 1/4 chain on it, I also have a 3/8 LP drum I could put on it. So those are my options....

This little mac is really egging me on to find a wee one. Actually need a little top handle so might as well be a yellow one

The little Macs are a blast, at least the magnesium ones from the 1970's certainly are! I have a Poulan Pro 4218 (which I know are not known for being a powerhouse), and that SP40 feels like it has so much more power. I wish i had a good chain and a 12" log to try it on (I will at some point) because it pulls strong.

I was just looking on EBay, people are starting to want stupid money for the magnesium housing Mini Macs, I saw a MM 30 for $200! Ridiculous.

Keep an eye on Craigslist, find a mini Mac with a good recoil and spark, and you won't have to sink a lot of money into it.

The little Macs are a blast, at least the magnesium ones from the 1970's certainly are! I have a Poulan Pro 4218 (which I know are not known for being a powerhouse), and that SP40 feels like it has so much more power. I wish i had a good chain and a 12" log to try it on (I will at some point) because it pulls strong.

I was just looking on EBay, people are starting to want stupid money for the magnesium housing Mini Macs, I saw a MM 30 for $200! Ridiculous.

Keep an eye on Craigslist, find a mini Mac with a good recoil and spark, and you won't have to sink a lot of money into it.

Yeah still getting them for 25 to 50 down here thankfully. Surely nobody actually paying 200 for a mini that's ridiculous

I did have a running 310 and a box of who knows how many but donated them to a friend. That 310 seemed to have a heap of grunt and the mac sound too. Kinda sad its gone actually. Was my first mac

Well, people... after the Electronic Ignition conversion on the SP125, she is running how she should!!
So happy with it. I recognized the issue. It was not bar/chain oil leaking into the cylinder..

Apparently, after attempting to gap the points properly (twice) - I had them too advanced. I had never tried gapping points before and I proved myself to be an amateur at it.

I believe what was happening was, the plug was not firing at the correct time and the result was an accumulation of unburned fuel. Hence the black liquid that was spitting out of the exhaust. Once the chip was installed, it burned up the rest of remaining fuel and all the problems went away. No more starting issues, no more spitting black liquid out of the exhaust and runs a whole lot better.

Have yet to put a bar and chain on the old girl. A little on the weary side to do it.. This thing has fought me like no other saw. My guess is it will blow up half way through the cut and then shoot the spark plug out. :laugh:

We shall try it though. Fingers crossed. ....Toes too

660 today. First step was to tear it down for a good cleanup. The manual oiler was sticking, to get to the plunger you have to take the fuel tank off so I decided to go all the way and try to make everything right.

20200803_142525.jpg

Got it all back together with the manual oiler fixed (the rubber plunger had turned to tar). The saw fired right up and only needed a little adjustment of the H jet.

20200803_200032.jpg

I took it over to the museum to find a suitable bar...I think 38" is about right, I even had a loop of 1/2" pitch chain to go with it.

20200803_203834.jpg

20200803_203840.jpg

I think I have another 660 on hand so I will look them over and decided which one gets cleaned up for the museum and which one becomes a GTG saw.

Mark

Just trim em to length flush with the nut/cover. The nuts should be in the recesses on the inside of the cover with lock washers under the heads of the fasteners on the outside. Cleaner. Safer.

Used nylon lock nuts on my last one - mostly went with that because I couldn't find what I wanted locally in stainless. No, they're not "correct", and yes sometimes I think about it because... OCD. :nofunny: Upside; they won't come loose!

I had never tried gapping points before and I proved myself to be an amateur at it.

The best teacher right there... Congrats on not only figuring out the issue, but getting it running with the chip!

Lol Blair Witch...yep pretty close, except if that MF witch showed up she'd have gotten dismembered by my LITTLE FRIEND!!

The saw currently has 1/4 chain on it, I also have a 3/8 LP drum I could put on it. So those are my options....
I recommend you stick with the 1/4" chain. You will be surprised how it will cut with a sharp chain. MAC sold them with a 16" bar as well; my first saw was a PM510. I ran it for years. 38ccs of fun.

Top video below is my SP40 at about 80% throttle (throttle rod is bent) with a 14" bar buried in red oak four years ago. I still haven't fixed it. Though it looks like I may be drunk, I wasn't - I was nauseated and probably the closest I have ever been to heat stroke. Thankfully, Brian recognized it and talked me into an air conditioned cab.

Here is some videos of our day.

Ron

660 today. First step was to tear it down for a good cleanup. The manual oiler was sticking, to get to the plunger you have to take the fuel tank off so I decided to go all the way and try to make everything right.

View attachment 846432

Got it all back together with the manual oiler fixed (the rubber plunger had turned to tar). The saw fired right up and only needed a little adjustment of the H jet.

View attachment 846433

I took it over to the museum to find a suitable bar...I think 38" is about right, I even had a loop of 1/2" pitch chain to go with it.

View attachment 846434

View attachment 846435

I think I have another 660 on hand so I will look them over and decided which one gets cleaned up for the museum and which one becomes a GTG saw.

Mark
Does the reed plate on those fit the removable head saw also?

I recommend you stick with the 1/4" chain. You will be surprised how it will cut with a sharp chain. MAC sold them with a 16" bar as well; my first saw was a PM510. I ran it for years. 38ccs of fun.

Top video below is my SP40 at about 80% throttle (throttle rod is bent) with a 14" bar buried in red oak four years ago. I still haven't fixed it. Though it looks like I may be drunk, I wasn't - I was nauseated and probably the closest I have ever been to heat stroke. Thankfully, Brian recognized it and talked me into an air conditioned cab.

Ron

Looks like you guys were having some fun! I don't blame you for not getting to that throttle linkage yet, you have to remove the engine from the housing. I will however say it's easier than on a Mini Mac!

Thanks for the input on the 1/4 chain, I'm going to take my old Mcculloch chain sharpening jig and my feeler gauges and see how well I can dress it up.

I know we have recently been on topic of the small Macs. I'm not really into them but some guys are saying especially the mag ones are starting to fetch a couple hundred. Saw this listing for this little 140 and can't believe what they are asking....holy cow! If they have even half that value I'm gonna start buying them up!Screenshot_20200804-175152_Facebook.jpg

I know we have recently been on topic of the small Macs. I'm not really into them but some guys are saying especially the mag ones are starting to fetch a couple hundred. Saw this listing for this little 140 and can't believe what they are asking....holy cow! If they have even half that value I'm gonna start buying them up!View attachment 846589

Well everyone loves a tryer but thats a bit beyond it lol

Back