McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's got some good points for sure. Do any of you guys through your axe in the dirt??? Lol
The ISA has done away with the Husqvarna sponsored chainsaw certification videos and hand books for a reason.
Bore cuts are reserved for leaners, by me, and that is a good rule of thumb .
Some people overuse it in my opinion but it's not a particularly dangerous habit just unnecessary if you dont have targets.
Having targets means you might have to adjust the back cut for direction, once you bore cut a tree all steering with the back cut is gone ,then it's release and pray you did a perfect job of setting up the hinge.

The ISA has done away with the Husqvarna sponsored chainsaw certification videos and hand books for a reason.
Some people overuse it in my opinion but it's not a particularly dangerous habit just unnecessary if you dont have targets.
Having targets means you might have to adjust the back cut for direction, once you bore cut a tree all steering with the back cut is gone ,then it's release and pray you did a perfect job of setting up the hinge.

Exactly. Tricky to wedge also i bet he cuts up alot of wedges. Lol I've got a steel one haha.

Whoever wrote that article has obviously never felled a tree in his life.Only a moron would write something like that.I'm with MS on this one,I notch even the smallest tree.

Whoever wrote that article has obviously never felled a tree in his life.Only a moron would write something like that.I'm with MS on this one,I notch even the smallest tree.

Some people overuse it in my opinion but it's not a particularly dangerous habit just unnecessary if you don't have targets.
I can count the number of trees I have felled on one finger, but that all makes sense to me.

Looking for some opinions on a 380 MAC (the old one).

The saw holds pressure and vacuum well.

It will fire on prime after quite a few pulls and both carbs I've tried are pulling fuel from the tank.
The first was a flatback carb and now it's wearing an HL-63G from a yellow top Super 250 junker.

The saw is dumping fuel into the carb box while I'm cranking it over. Not a lot but more than it should.

I'm guessing I may have a reed problem. They looked OK from what little I could see through the carb mounting hole.

I've almost no experience working on the old MACs

Any guesses?

Unfortunately, he probably has and because he hasn't gotten hurt yet or destroyed something he will continue.

Back to MACs - my soon to be s-i-l is interested in casting aluminum. I was thinking, many MAC kart motors run cast aluminum exhaust manifolds and/or mufflers. I wonder if a ten series could benefit from one. What do you guys think?

Ron

Here's an update on the 5-10. .I had the 5-10 running like a champ earlier today,but as soon as I shut it off & tried to restart it that was it.My step-daughter stopped by for a short time & I let the saw cool off.I went up on the porch & all we could smell was gas.I picked up the 5-10 & there was a good sized puddle under it.I loosened the fuel cap & could hear the whoosh of air rushing in.The fuel cap wasn't venting & was causing the saw to flood.In the process of pulling the fuel line off I found a hair line crack where it mounts on the inlet elbow.I pulled the carb off & rebuilt it,the diaphragms that were in it were like new,but I put the new kit in anyway.In the needle seat & all around the needle was a gelatin like substance.I think this stuff was part of the problem as it'd get down under the needle & not let fuel in.So I found 3 issues with the fuel system & hopefully it'll be taken care of.

Here's an update on the 5-10. .I had the 5-10 running like a champ earlier today,but as soon as I shut it off & tried to restart it that was it.My step-daughter stopped by for a short time & I let the saw cool off.I went up on the porch & all we could smell was gas.I picked up the 5-10 & there was a good sized puddle under it.I loosened the fuel cap & could hear the whoosh of air rushing in.The fuel cap wasn't venting & was causing the saw to flood.In the process of pulling the fuel line off I found a hair line crack where it mounts on the inlet elbow.I pulled the carb off & rebuilt it,the diaphragms that were in it were like new,but I put the new kit in anyway.In the needle seat & all around the needle was a gelatin like substance.I think this stuff was part of the problem as it'd get down under the needle & not let fuel in.So I found 3 issues with the fuel system & hopefully it'll be taken care of.
The "gelatin " is usually a sealant put on the welch plugs by someone. Nail polish ect..

Unfortunately, he probably has and because he hasn't gotten hurt yet or destroyed something he will continue.

Back to MACs - my soon to be s-i-l is interested in casting aluminum. I was thinking, many MAC kart motors run cast aluminum exhaust manifolds and/or mufflers. I wonder if a ten series could benefit from one. What do you guys think?

Ron
I know the 800 would! Smoothing out the 90° turn on a 10-10a would probably suffice for alittle more torque.

The "gelatin " is usually a sealant put on the welch plugs by someone. Nail polish ect..
I had another person tell me that the "gelatin" was from using ethanol fuel.I really don't think that was plausible.I'd tend to lean more toward your explanation since the saw hadn't been run in ages & I don't use ethanol laden fuel.

I picked this one up for $20 tonight. Got home, dumped some fresh fuel in it and it fired up in 5 pulls. It has a very new looking Zama carb in it.
I just need to figure out why it won't oil. Neither the auto or manual oilers work.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Back