McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 32" 3/8 skip on my SP-81 and it cuts great in everything I've tried. The balance is a bit nose heavy, but not the end of the world. I've got a 28" that I run on my 5 cube pioneers and its nice, but not enough bar really. I'll put it on my 7-10 and see how that goes.

IMG_20200410_173409_323.jpg
I've buried this ^ combo in old growth fir and it barely skipped a beat.

I've run a 24" on my 10-10, but I admit that the 18" seems to be a sweet spot on that saw, its unstoppable with that
DSC_0229_1.JPG

These are the offending videos:

Good post.
In 1976 I was 23 and just started cutting firewood for myself. I didn't know crap about limbing and felling.
I was cutting behind loggers. I had a old logger set on a stump and me on another. In about 30 minutes he told me what to do, what not to do and why.
I soaked it up like a sponge. The last thing he said was "There are thousands of ways a saw will hunt you."
I never forgot that statement. 44 years later I still expect something going wrong I haven't seen before.
Clint

Here is a screen shot.
5b5c7bd93addeb6ac7d7e738c5033cbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
OMG
Probably never owned a saw.

I'd have to have it as long as they would meet me and then pay.
To many crooks on CL and Marketplace that disappear once they get your money.
The 250 was made for 4 years, so it probably was a good saw.
GL
Clint.
I didn't pursue the saw, partly because of the reed valve intake which means in my mind they're (the reeds) probably no good, most likely hard to obtain, and probably cost more than the saw is worth. And partly because I don't need a big old Mac right now.
As far as payment, it's Craigslist, which means cash transactions in person only.

Back a while ago I posted about a 10-10A I have that when trying to start it I had to pull on the throttle trigger for it to start.MS told me that there should be a boss on the handle for a throttle lock & sure enough there is.It was already threaded so I just screwed in the throttle lock.The thing is is that it doesn't engage with the trigger.Did Mac make different length throttle locks for their saws?The one I put in came out of another 10-10A.

I didn't pursue the saw, partly because of the reed valve intake which means in my mind they're (the reeds) probably no good, most likely hard to obtain, and probably cost more than the saw is worth. And partly because I don't need a big old Mac right now.
As far as payment, it's Craigslist, which means cash transactions in person only.
"As far as payment, it's Craigslist, which means cash transactions in person only."
That I didn't know, but it's good.
I haven't bought anything on CL, but I have on Marketplace local only and pay when I have my hand on the item.
Clint

Yeah, I would never mess around with any of those old reed valve saws either.

View attachment 862698

Mark
I have a dirtbike and an older Polaris 3-cylinder snowmobile with reed intakes with the fiber reeds , they make power but those reeds do break on occasion.
Are NOS reeds available for those old Macs?

Back a while ago I posted about a 10-10A I have that when trying to start it I had to pull on the throttle trigger for it to start.MS told me that there should be a boss on the handle for a throttle lock & sure enough there is.It was already threaded so I just screwed in the throttle lock.The thing is is that it doesn't engage with the trigger.Did Mac make different length throttle locks for their saws?The one I put in came out of another 10-10A.
Theres a small flat blade philster head screw in the trigger, it screws in to contact the throttle lock. It may already be there or not , but if the boss for the throttle lock was there you should be able to flip the saw over and see were that little screw goes in front of the trigger. Its an adjustment though so it shouldn't be all the way in or out.
If its not there I'll see if I can find the correct measurement for one.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1200596565
I have no experience whatsoever with read valve Mac's but I would expect these would be easy enough to make if it comes to it surely??
It probably can be done if a guy can get his hands on the right type of material, which I suppose is pretty likely since reed valve on high performance 2 stroke engines is extremely common. Trickiest part would be finding a good method to trim that fiber reed material down on an existing large reed petal that would leave a clean and smooth edge that would not cause cracks to propagate.

I have about a dozen Reed valve Macs that are runners. Never had a problem with the reeds aside from one set that I just had to flip to get them to seal up.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
That's good to know should I ever find myself looking at a reed intake Mac. Are those reeds metal or some type of fiber/composite like modern ones?

Back