McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PM555 had the long clutch cover and may or may not have been equipped with the electronic ignition; the IPL shows both options. I think the idea was for the 555 to be electronic but they hadn't used up all the 55 blocks when they switched the models.

I did a little further research and the IPL's that I have both show the same part number (89435) for the block.

The 57cc saws were all pretty peppy compared to the common 54cc varieties.

Mark
DSCN9077-2.jpgDSCN9694-2.jpg

I believe this one is all original as the model/serial tag is riveted to the tank, it is the correct model number 600052 and the serial number starts with 17-
I've got two right now with the OPL, one looks exactly like the one you posted, with the chain brake and nice cushioned handle. :) The other is mid-rebuild now. No reason to believe they've been cobbled together. The first was so original looking I was compelled to contact the guy (evilbay) and ask about it. He said his dad got it second hand, handed it down to him, sat in his shed for however many years unused, so he sold it.

Misc. photo ops:
For those who have asked about replacing coil wires, but have never seen/done it. This is what the post looks like that we're referring to (this was cracked and crumbled when I got it, and has since been jbwelded with new wire). The wire jacket is "glued" in there from the factory, but if you can break that loose, they'll pretty much unthread from that post and you can twist a new one on. Or use a tool to hog it out like Mark has shown before. On the back, if the plastic hasn't discolored, you can see where the post is soldered to the coil wire.20201024_214519.jpg20201024_215831.jpg

Next up we get an award for creativity... apparently the oiler thumb button broke, so someone made one out of a bolt. Did a decent job too! Original rod was gone, but they also made one out of a piece of VERY stiff aluminum rod. It didn't work quite right due to how it was bent, but I had an original around and re-bent the aluminum one to match, now it works great!
20201027_231015.jpg

Last but not least, a new Mac hat from BellHopper - pretty happy with this!
20201028_120111.jpg

I've got two right now with the OPL, one looks exactly like the one you posted, with the chain brake and nice cushioned handle. :) The other is mid-rebuild now. No reason to believe they've been cobbled together. The first was so original looking I was compelled to contact the guy (evilbay) and ask about it. He said his dad got it second hand, handed it down to him, sat in his shed for however many years unused, so he sold it.

Misc. photo ops:
For those who have asked about replacing coil wires, but have never seen/done it. This is what the post looks like that we're referring to (this was cracked and crumbled when I got it, and has since been jbwelded with new wire). The wire jacket is "glued" in there from the factory, but if you can break that loose, they'll pretty much unthread from that post and you can twist a new one on. Or use a tool to hog it out like Mark has shown before. On the back, if the plastic hasn't discolored, you can see where the post is soldered to the coil wire.View attachment 864360View attachment 864361

Next up we get an award for creativity... apparently the oiler thumb button broke, so someone made one out of a bolt. Did a decent job too! Original rod was gone, but they also made one out of a piece of VERY stiff aluminum rod. It didn't work quite right due to how it was bent, but I had an original around and re-bent the aluminum one to match, now it works great!
View attachment 864362

Last but not least, a new Mac hat from BellHopper - pretty happy with this!
View attachment 864363
I want a Mac hat. How can I order one from Bellhopper?
Me too!!!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I don't even know how someone comes across a lot of 50 - 60 saws unless it was another saw-hoarder, or a saw shop that closed up...
Two years ago I stopped in an old Stihl dealer and asked if he had any old Homelites? He sold me a Super 1050 for $40, and an XL925, 450 and Blue EZ for $10 each. With all of this covid stuff, he hasn't been in much lately. Last week I caught him and he had moved all of the old saws to a garage in the back of the shop. He went up on the price, $20 each. I got a Pioneer 700, Homelite XL850 and an Echo 750 EVL. I was supposed to go by his place today to do some wiring on my cabin, but the plans fell through. I'm taking 5 $20's just for him. He has a mostly Mac shelf I couldn't get to. I saw a 250, 1-40 and what looks like a Mac 33-35. It's one of the real flat skinny saws. I bet if you offered him ten bucks a piece he would fill your truck up with 100 saws. Some are complete, some are just carcasses. There are still places like that out there, you just have to ask.

Question, the Mac 33's and 35's are rather odd looking saws, and fall below my criteria of 70CC or bigger. But, they are cool looking too. The dealer above has one, should I put it on my "GRAB" list for $20. It may be a shelf sitter for years, but pending on missing parts, It may go to the front of the bench?

Zeta reeked a little havoc around me this morning, still no power at the House and 1 park lost a bunch of trees in my region.
I took the .020 over 10-10 for a little redemption from being crushed. It preformed wonderfully I ended up using most of the 20" bar along with the Pro Mac 800 for the big stuff.
Nothing pinches like blow downs and shattered trees.20201029_104753.jpg20201029_113819.jpg20201029_113842.jpg

Today's haul. The mac on the left is an sp81, the two man mac in the middle is a 5-49 I think. The label is gone and I can't find a model number stamped on it. I found the serial stamped on the front above the transmission but otherwise can't find anything. It came with an auger attachment. The saw on the right is a Wright B-520 reciprocating saw that supposedly runs. The sp81 has some bad gas in it and is a little crusty but has good compression. Some fresh gas and maybe a carb kit might be all it needs!
62b528692286d3fdb798bc5523345bc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Being a saw user who is starting to feel his age, I am going to try to lighten my inventory and let someone else enjoy some of my things. I am not interested in dealing with flippers, but all others interested in a PM800 or a PM805 can send me a PM and I will try to get pictures and info to you sometime next week. I have a nice 101B motor that will likely go on eBay unless someone here expresses a strong interest by PM. I also have a 101B 125 saw with an adjustable chainsaw carb; the saw needs relining or a cylinder or an unobtainable .100" over piston to run again. Brian made a short video of it that is posted somewhere on AS before the wrist pin took a walk and ruined the cylinder. Other possible eBay items: several kart carbs and a sloped manifold (for those wanting to make a sleeper kart carbed saw). I am still undecided about parting with a 125C with a 52" roller nose - likely the strongest of my four 125Cs - but other than the bar I have no story to keep it attached to me. Though not a real collector, I have a hoarding streak so this may be hard.

Ron

Latest posts

Back