McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

I am needing a carby kit for a McCulloch 250 i got last week and I compared it with the 1-51 and both look the same only one has HL63F and the other is HL63D. I just want to confirm that the RK88-HL is the right kit to order ?

Attachments

• 20210118_122218.jpg
    20210118_122218.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210118_122152.jpg
    20210118_122152.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Hi Guys,

I am needing a carby kit for a McCulloch 250 i got last week and I compared it with the 1-51 and both look the same only one has HL63F and the other is HL63D. I just want to confirm that the RK88-HL is the right kit to order ?
Yes, that kit will work for those, the only issue you will have is the cork gasket for the inlet cover on the bottom will not fit the low profile inlet on these Mac carbs. I usually reuse the original with a little sealer if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Yes, that kit will work for those, the only issue you will have is the cork gasket for the inlet cover on the bottom will not fit the low profile inlet on these Mac carbs. I usually reuse the original with a little sealer if necessary.

OK good to know.

I will purchase a couple of kits tonight.

Cheers

Justin

Does it have good compression with the button out? It should hold itself by the rope for sure.

Rebuilding a carb for a beginner...my advice is to take pictures for yourself of each step. Each side of gasket and diaphragm so it goes back together right. Have the rebuild kit on hand and lay each part per side together so you dont get confused. Ive found that a product called goof off will eat old varnish away very very well. I also use a sharp pocket knife or a flat razor blade to get the old gaskets off the carb body. As anything take your time and look at each thing to see where they go. If you get stuck ask away. We all were in your shoes at one point. Theres a lot of guys who are very willing to help.
I'm rebuilding a Mac 7-10 also. Had good spark but wouldn't fire. Put the gauge on it and it only had about 30 PSI. Pulled the muffler off and there was a ring of carbon about an eight of an inch thick all the way around the exhaust port, except the top left corner, there was a chunk of carbon missing from that corner, and the piston had deep deep groves carved in it right at that spot. So, yes pull the piston and take a look.

I am still working on getting the NOS parts moved, identified, organized, and put away. I started with the 17000 part numbers and am currently working with the 216000, then I found three more bins of 17000-19000...

I am really trying to get an accurate count, part numbers cross referenced where possible (McCulloch changed/updated their numbers several times), and locations recorded correctly so I can find things in the future. The Excel spread sheet is currently up to 33 pages, I may be about 1/2 done.

Mark
funny thing about moving,,you find all sorts of new treasures!!!!!!!!!!

So i was asked several weeks ago if not longer if id be willing to work on a sp81 chainsaw. Of course i said yes. I was asked by a pal from new zealand for a gentleman who lives in new york state. The saw was shipped to my house from iowa. It arrived as most do a very dirty saw. But it was complete. I got the chance to start on it and took it apart. There was a large score on the piston i could see so the engine was torn down. Turned out it was just the piston. Shweeeew. So the cylinder is in good shape. Very lucky there. So i gathered a list of parts and called the ol mac guy bob j. He sent me a new piston for the B cylinder(lucky there too). A new bottom brace cause this one was missing a lot of it, new seals, exhaust gasket, and a couple other little things. Waiting on parts, its time to clean this mess up. Likely took 1/2 pound of oily sawdust out of it and gave it a good scrubbing. Every ounce of it!! Cleaned and waiting parts. It had a spur sprocket on it, cant have that. So a new old rim drum i had went on it. Got a few new allen screws for the engine block, a few other fasteners from my hoard and waited......fast forward to a week ago and the parts showed up. I was excited for this cause it was in really good shape. I had to work all week but was off friday. I got home thursday evening and got started. Took my time but 2.5 hrs later i had a complete engine sitting on the bench. Including flywheel and points, av mounts, and rear shroud. Carb boot as well. The next morning (friday) i got busy again. My goal was a running saw by lunch. My goal was met. After a few more hours i had a complete, clean, sp81 to look at and put fuel in. The owner sent me a nos sdc37 carb for it. Original was the 51a(fixed jet). They are good but the 37 is a snappy carb. Outside i go to add fuel. Put in some 32:1 fuel....no leaks!! Great so lets set it on the ground and see how we did i thought. 8 pulls later its running!!!!! And idling on its own but wont rev up??? Someone forgot t attach the linkage to the trigger!! Guilty. After a short fix i tried it again and boy oh boy we have a runner!!!! I mean a good runner. I was happy with that. Fast forward the owner says to try it out....but its soooo clean. So today i try it out. What a great runner and with a 20" bar a very strong cutter. So now a guy whos been wanting one for awhile im told now has a great classic strong running mcculloch muscle saw. I was very glad to be asked and trusted. Ive yet to even speak to the owner. Just emails and texting. So, Edju1958....thankyou for the opportunity. And mr. Boorer of course. Heres some pictures. I hope you enjoy your new saw!!! View attachment 882907View attachment 882914View attachment 882916View attachment 882917View attachment 882918
Vinny I can't thank you enough! Other than a little paint loss on the rear handle & the recoil cover it looks mint! And Jethro,a special thanks to you for helping to set this all up!

Justin - the Tillotson HC carburetor is basically an HL without the fuel pump so the metering diaphragm and gasket from the HL kit (DG5) will work. If you need the metering needle you will have to get the HC kit as they are different length from the ones used in the HL. The replaceable seat for the metering needle is the same on the HL and HC.

Mark

Taking a light weight approach to the ProMac60 . Just a nice running saw with a 20" bar and an 8 pin rim sprocket.

That thing is a nice saw and pulls that 8 pin well.

Vinny I can't thank you enough! Other than a little paint loss on the rear handle & the recoil cover it looks mint! And Jethro,a special thanks to you for helping to set this all up!

No worries Ed vinny loves them so seemed a good idea.

Look what just showed up :) :)

Yay yay yay and wahoo too. Thank you big time 20210119_143831.jpg

Its nice soft foam too vs the harder plastic. And its mint. Cheers Ed cheers Bob

Project "Scrap Heap" is coming along. Carb rebuild tomorrow night. I do not seem to have the rubber grommet for the adjustment needles.... anyone have one? @heimannm ????
1c4d52581441f59e6aab1c9cffa3cad0.jpg
b13a58c414cde9a3610c5b93b716abbb.jpg
01dfeb32bb0951f6bf171331fc92edf7.jpg
9e00b565ef78118b419cf14b9695513d.jpg
16efb54856ea271788a4e217202918cb.jpg

Justin - the Tillotson HC carburetor is basically an HL without the fuel pump so the metering diaphragm and gasket from the HL kit (DG5) will work. If you need the metering needle you will have to get the HC kit as they are different length from the ones used in the HL. The replaceable seat for the metering needle is the same on the HL and HC.

Mark
Thanks Mark,

Hopefully a new metering needle is not required. I will go hunting for a HL-DG5 carby kit now.

Cheer Justin

Back