McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hazard guess that its a timing related change in the ports or in the cranks key?
Only because I run my 10-10A saws for firewood and dropping small 8-14" trees ( crazy I know, when I have a bunch of bigger saws) but whenever I have had to install an electric chip in one I absolutely notice a change in performance, rpms and torque . Whatever advanc they put in the chips is a go sweet spot for the 10-10 I've found. I've been half tempted to try one in my PM60 but it was such a SOB to get straight with the points I'm probably not gonna mess with it.
Compression is the only other factor that I can think of if all things being the same.

I'd like to know if these chips and the factory electronic ignitions have an advance curve like a dirt bike does and also if modern saws have that too. Like is that part of the change in power that we see in a modern saw.

In modern mx bike ignitions some have different modes for a different delivery.

Is there a hi performance chip out there we all should be hunting down?

Bike cdi boxes are alot bigger too maybe thats why

Is there an ignition off a modern saw we should be trying to fit?

I have a chip in my pro 10-10A and it’s pretty snappy compared to my 10-10 with points, but it’s also fresh rings and the exhaust is all opened up and port matched so that has an effect. Would be cool to see a comparison between the two.

I have a chip in my pro 10-10A and it’s pretty snappy compared to my 10-10 with points, but it’s also fresh rings and the exhaust is all opened up and port matched so that has an effect. Would be cool to see a comparison between the two.

The exhaust port on the 54s seem tiny did you take out bridge?

Like I recently mentioned in the Mac thread over on OPIE, it would be interesting to do some timing comparisons between the 7-10 and PM700 ignitions to see what the advance difference may be (between the points and electronic designs). May as well throw a chip in the mix, too -- though I don't think there is an inherent curve designed into the typical MegaFire type chip. I'd guess the 'snappiness' of a chip over points would simply be faster triggering of an electronic system over a mechanical one, though that's just a guess without doing any research and I could be entirely wrong there.

The exhaust port on the 54s seem tiny did you take out bridge?
I didn’t take out the bridge I just turned them into squares matching the gasket then opened up the muffler to match.
Like I recently mentioned in the Mac thread over on OPIE, it would be interesting to do some timing comparisons between the 7-10 and PM700 ignitions to see what the advance difference may be (between the points and electronic designs). May as well throw a chip in the mix, too -- though I don't think there is an inherent curve designed into the typical MegaFire type chip. I'd guess the 'snappiness' of a chip over points would simply be faster triggering of an electronic system over a mechanical one, though that's just a guess without doing any research and I could be entirely wrong there.
It would be cool to see that done with the same saw and same B&C combo in the same type of wood and see if there is a difference.

I did check a McCulloch electronic ignition coil/module when I was working on the SP81E. The original two piece ignition did not have any advance that I could determine. The newer coil (same one is used on 10 Series and 600 Series with a longer lead) did display some advance evident as the RPM increased. I only had my cordless drill to spin it so I probably only went up around 2,000 RPM but from say 600 to 2,000 there may have been 3-5 degrees movement. The newer coil also provided a visually better spark than the original two piece. For what it's worth, some of the early PM850 saws also had the two piece system based on the IPL's that I have looked at.

McBob used to tell us that in Australia, all of the saws with two piece ignitions were changed over to the newer one piece units when he was working in the McCulloch factory there.

The two piece system had the coil under the saw and the trigger unit attached where the electronic coil mounts.

DSC01972.JPG

DSC01967.JPG

DSC01969.JPG

Mark

I vaguely recalled that timing experiment in the thread on OPIE..., primarily in relation to the performance difference discussion (perceived or otherwise) between the 7-10 and PM700. What happens in the actual power band timing-wise would tell the real tale.

Regarding the chips flyin', that's the subjective part. Absolute timing numbers would establish the objective reasons for how many chips and how fast they fly. LOL

Someone just did a 70cc dyno ,so I pm'ed them and told the I'd freshen up the cherry pm700 next time they do it.
Just a side note .
The little electric chips do work well. I believe that some of the differences in off brand creamsicles had the same series saw with 3 different ignitions (064) one having a higher timing advance.

Tonight's project...... really debating whether I want to spend $30 on diaphragms for this flatback or just convert to a Tillotson. I have plenty of parts saws here but I have been told that the flatback gave a performance edge over the Tillotson and being that this is a Super 250 I don't really want to stifle it's power.
42278a41125c7df6874dee0f6651d166.jpg
f82bf5c399d86e701cbe7cb1a89d4cb3.jpg
92941e9e825f4bec81f223a28a496f98.jpg
60d0722306695e9a7c255a22d20b0ab1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Back