McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on a 5-10 this weekend. It was stuck on a broken ring and a port. Piston is no good now. If you all remember the 70cc piston talk awhile back, i had ordered a piston from bob with no rings. It was the original standard piston to the 5-10 saw. So i had a piston for this saw. Ironically ed sent a new set of rings with it. Very ironic. So the saw got cleaned up and new seals and piston. Last night i was having trouble getting it tuned in. It has an sdc2 carb on it. Im not a fan of that carb. So i tried a fixed jet sdc and it ran better but still not there. This morning a put on it a fresh sdc18. Holy cow does it like that carburetor. What a great little saw for 70cc. Very subtle differences to the 6-10 i have but i noticed a couple. Anyway its a rainy day here in west virginia. Onto the next project......

So i scored a good one this week. I saw a mcculloch engine on ebay. Listed as a 10-10s, 555 or 55. However it had an impulse fitting and fron t upper av on it. I thought to myself....is this 70cc or 60cc or 82cc? After studying the pictures better the exhaust mounts were horizontal on the saw. It was 82cc. At a asking price of $59.99. I couldnt hit buy now fast enough. Well it arrived today. After getting a 5-10 together, i decided to see what mess i got. Rather gunky as usual and upon taking it apart i found a pretty bad piston. Kinda like the one in the above photos with a lot of scoring and seized rings. So i looked in the cylinder and it surprisingly survived very well. Very little issues!!! Its not marked either so its a "B" cylinder. With some new seals and piston ill have a great 82cc engine awaiting a saw to go in!!! I love spare parts.

Wow what a score man

I remember when I bought my SP81,the seller had 2 saws for sale & one of them he wasn't sure if it was an SP80 or SP81.I got the one that I knew was the SP81.They went very fast when it came to selling them.Ira,I'm glad we're saw bros now,Lol! I haven't had mine out cutting yet,hopefully in the next few weeks though.Currently I've got a 28 in.on it,but I have a 24 in.I can put on for "smaller" jobs.

Vinny,or as I cal him "the chainsaw whisperer" has come through for me once again.I had the 5-10 that he worked on since last Oct.I pulled the carb for a rerbuild back in Nov.& rebuilt it,but just didn't get around to getting it on the saw till last month.Now this is where it gets kinda weird.I pulled the flywheel to clean up & gap the points & when it came time to turn the crank to gap the points it was locked up.I thought I'd dropped one of the little washers down the throat of the carb for the adjuster needle extensions.As it turned out one of the rings just broke when turning the engine over by hand.If the saw was running when the ring broke there would've been a lot more damage done,very possibly could've ruined the cylinder.I'm just glad things worked out the way they did.A big thank you to Vinny the Chainsaw Whisperer!

Wow what a score man
Thanks jethro, ive been cleaning it more today. Got a big ole "B" marked on it under that gunk. Shweew, cause i put a B piston on the rod this morning. Lucky i had it actually. Dont need to buy another one. Ive had this piston for awhile. Thought id need it one day. Its a mac piston too. So upon further investigation, it turns out that i got a pm850 cylinder for 60 bucks. Im tickled with that. Now i need a muffler for it. Anyone got a spare 850 muffler duct? Ive got the outer plate but no duct.

Vinny,or as I cal him "the chainsaw whisperer" has come through for me once again.I had the 5-10 that he worked on since last Oct.I pulled the carb for a rerbuild back in Nov.& rebuilt it,but just didn't get around to getting it on the saw till last month.Now this is where it gets kinda weird.I pulled the flywheel to clean up & gap the points & when it came time to turn the crank to gap the points it was locked up.I thought I'd dropped one of the little washers down the throat of the carb for the adjuster needle extensions.As it turned out one of the rings just broke when turning the engine over by hand.If the saw was running when the ring broke there would've been a lot more damage done,very possibly could've ruined the cylinder.I'm just glad things worked out the way they did.A big thank you to Vinny the Chainsaw Whisperer!
Lol, youre welcome.

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would share this with everyone. I got this saw last week. It's a McCulloch Pro Mac 6800 or as know here in Australia the Bumble Bee. Was made for McCulloch by Sachs Dolmar Germany. Nice saw and it runs nice to.

Haven't had much time yet to go through it or even give it a clean but I will shortly. Anyway have a look and let me know your thoughts.

Cheers
Justin
Hi Justin

Out of interest was this in South Australia? I seen one on marketplace, but was sold by the time i saw it...
Looks like a good thing & doesn't need much doing to it.

Ben

I saw this on craigslist near me and figured you guys would appreciate it. @heimannm, if this would go well in your museum, pm me and I'll see what I can do.
00U0U_wjJYzuHMjuz_0jm0ew_1200x900.jpg
01010_1oWXpHYkDuLz_0jm0ew_1200x900.jpg
Well, it vanished before I could contact the guy, sorry.

I need a little help with this carb if anyone is able. I want to put a choke on it but I don't have any choke shutters or shafts that are big enough nor can I find anything on the web or on the forum. Carb in question is a Tillotson HL317, was used on several different karts. Inner diameter of throat where choke would sit is 1.036 inches. If anyone has some tips or can point me in the direction of where I could find parts of the right size I'm all ears.
0634020a863581bb4b41de98edc20073.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Check the dimensions on the bearing Clint. I think they are .500 I.D. x .6875 O.D. x .4375 W = B87

67906 is the big one, 1-3/8 O.D. if my memory works, I think the 471551 is for the smaller (1-3/16"?) O.D. that presses in the bearing. I bought some a while back just matching the dimensions. Your bearing shop should be able to do the same with the I.D. and the O.D. I probably have the numbers recorded in the other shop but I'm not sure when I will have a chance to get over to confirm.

Mark

Back