McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, seems I’ll finally get some free time to run my newly-acquired PM 850 next week. I’m going over it this weekend to check that everything’s ok, I’ve removed the cracked/home made muffler reeds (thanks again @Maintenance supervisor). I’m also changing the plug: the previous owner apparently ran it with a Magneti Marelli plug without the screw-on piece at the wire end, but the boot has the normal wire coil on the inside to accept a fully-assembled plug, so I’m changing it for an NGK BM7F; I run BM6F in my 10-10, both are readily available here) I had a look through the plug hole, and the piston top is covered with carbon deposits, though the part of the cylinder wall that I can see looks nice. My Mac 10-10 auto’s piston was similarly carboned at the top when I got it. Back then I just ran it, and after some time the carbon deposits were gone (I run it on Motomix with a bit of HP Ultra added to bring mix up to ca. 40:1, I don’t get to cut often and saw sits; btw. I see here that 32:1 is mentioned for the 82cc saws?)
In retrospect, I suppose the carbon deposits coming loose could have damaged the piston or cylinder bore, but the saw runs very well. Back to the PM 850, I expect that it too will shed carbon from the piston top etc. when I run it on this mix, and I’m worried that it might scratch up the piston and chrome plated cylinder.
Any thoughts, should I try to clean it up first?

I could get good shots of the piston top through the hole, but here goes.

Piston top:
A6C53F34-D115-44AF-8A8E-8EE2AC52333A.jpeg

Cylinder wall:
702C1745-B4A8-417B-ADA4-D8B399F47E35.jpeg

Thanks @Maintenance supervisor and @PogoInTheWoods, I’ll add it to the tear-down list. The AV is shot, so would have to tear it down somewhat anyway, maybe best all-in-one-go and then it’s (hopefully) ready to work. Though after @edju1958’s recent trouble his DE80’s AV, I think I’ll put it on the back-burner. Need to find AV rubbers front and back too...any thoughts for a workaround replacement for these, thought I remember @Jethro 2t sniffer posted something a while back?

Bob Johnson (607 638 9297) had some NOS rear mounts (93925) available for under $20 each, you can turn one into a front mount by knocking the nut inserts out. I could check with him next week if you are interested in going that route. Bob probably won't want to mess with international shipping but I would be willing to pack them and send them along if you are interested.

Mark

There's very little in the way of published specs for max no load RPM's, but a little poop sheet I ran across would indicate 11,500 is about the limit for most of the 10 Series saws until the later 82cc saws came along. They seem to be in the 12K range according to the only listing on the sheet for a later 82cc PM model. Different saws will obviously behave differently and will generally tell your ear where they like to run when tuned in wood. My PM800 is happy at 12,200 running a 40:1 mix. I have a 7-10 that likes 10,800 with the same fuel.

Attachments

• Mac Setup Specs.pdf
    266.4 KB · Views: 6
Thanks @Maintenance supervisor and @PogoInTheWoods, I’ll add it to the tear-down list. The AV is shot, so would have to tear it down somewhat anyway, maybe best all-in-one-go and then it’s (hopefully) ready to work. Though after @edju1958’s recent trouble his DE80’s AV, I think I’ll put it on the back-burner. Need to find AV rubbers front and back too...any thoughts for a workaround replacement for these, thought I remember @Jethro 2t sniffer posted something a while back?

20201202_120517.jpg20201202_070850.jpg20201201_064944.jpg

Good news guys,I finally located the air filter bracket for the DE80,& I've got new AV mounts on the way from Bob J.I was really going through the garage & almost running out of places to look for that dang bracket.I found it just before 5:00 p.m. today.I walked in the garage & thought I'd have a look under the workbench.I had to move a box of parts that I'd just put there in the last few days & moved a saw that was right up next to the workbench & voila,there it was.It must've fallen off the bench last yr.when I tore the saw apart & was there in safekeeping all that time.I wasn't able to find the spacer though,but that's the last of my worries.I can make my own spacer,I just need to know the thickness.So the DE80 is coming off the back burner again.

I was running the third tank through the black out SP81 today, first found a rock under the log with the chain then spit the decomp button out half way through a cut .
Other than that the saw ran very strong.
Sharpened the chain up on the tailgate and "resecured" the decomp with some blue locktite. The threads dont feel bad but I'll give it 24 to cure.

There's very little in the way of published specs for max no load RPM's, but a little poop sheet I ran across would indicate 11,500 is about the limit for most of the 10 Series saws until the later 82cc saws came along. They seem to be in the 12K range according to the only listing on the sheet for a later 82cc PM model. Different saws will obviously behave differently and will generally tell your ear where they like to run when tuned in wood. My PM800 is happy at 12,200 running a 40:1 mix. I have a 7-10 that likes 10,800 with the same fuel.
Thank you much appreciated.The saw sounded about right around the max 11,500

Latest posts

Back