McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old 81 still getting it done :)
20210410_141631.jpg20210410_141635.jpg20210410_141640.jpg
Running absolutely amazing just a gem of a saw.

Vintage oregon bar and my favourite... old saber chain :) not sure what it is but the old saber i get on junker saws alway semi chisel just seems to cut very very well sadly this loop is nearly done and that's it all I have but its always nice to get some. Seems to be the best cutting semi I've tried and I've had loops of all of them now carlton was ehhh oregon seemed ok and stihl not too bad but the saber is the best. Something to with the cutter shape it just really rips almost like a chisel chain

Could be just waffling from my rear vent too ofcourse lol

I was gonna ask what bars and chain you like on the Macs that's locally available...

Honestly a nice easy 1 is the husky D009 a quick little S clip and cut an oil hole and done. Its on the shelf anywhere

The small mount husky can be used too Maintenance supervisor has done that 1.

Stihl bars can be used but not sure what needs to be done.

The other 1 is echo bars/mount but unsure of availability for those.

The thing i like with the D009 is its got a nice wide tail and fits my poulans easily too and my echos and now my new husky also.

What bar are ya after? I could probably sling you an old hard nose 20 if ya like I got a few. I like the old hard nose bars even 50 years old they can usually be rescued by beating in the rails n dressing them up or cutting the groove a little deeper. I had a 24 that was so warn the chain was chewing up the bar plates my plan was to cut the tail shorter and move the whole mount up a bit shorter like a 22inch but ahhh it got flagged in the end.

Anyway thats my story :)

The Echo bars are a straight bolt on for Mac and poulan, the stihl bars require an adapter, and of course the husqvarna bars are well noted with minor modifications.
Jethro can confirm that you should always be on the look out for the Windsor Speed Mac bars, they are just a really great bar , the tips are replaceable and ae being reproduced by some companies.
Syncop8r you'll probably be replacing the 610 with a Promac700 and not looking back ,or any of the 70cc Macs.

Jethro, that SP81 looks awesome! :D

I got my PM700 frankensaw apart this week, and want to determine if the cylinder can be saved. There are aluminium transfer spots and a long smear/scuff on the exhaust side, and one on the intake side it seems. Both sides also appear to be pretty scuffed up way at the top. There's a long scratch/two going up the exhaust side, though I can just feel it with my finger nail.

I'm attaching my best effort shots of the intake and exhaust surfaces; what do you guys think?

Exhaust side:
exhaust_full.JPG

Exhaust side top zoomed:
exhaust_top.JPG

Intake side:
intake_full.JPG

Intake side zoomed in:
intake_top.jpeg

Jethro, that SP81 looks awesome! :D

I got my PM700 frankensaw apart this week, and want to determine if the cylinder can be saved. There are aluminium transfer spots and a long smear/scuff on the exhaust side, and one on the intake side it seems. Both sides also appear to be pretty scuffed up way at the top. There's a long scratch/two going up the exhaust side, though I can just feel it with my finger nail.

I'm attaching my best effort shots of the intake and exhaust surfaces; what do you guys think?

Exhaust side:
View attachment 900255

Exhaust side top zoomed:
View attachment 900256

Intake side:
View attachment 900257

Intake side zoomed in:
View attachment 900258
That looks better than what some of us are running, lol
Seriously clean it up with scotch bright and some elbow grease and slap a new piston in it.

Thanks @Maintenance supervisor, yes I was expecting more transfer after seeing the mangled piston through the exhaust.
It's my first time pulling one apart like this, so very much appreciated!

Now time to start looking for a replacement piston ... I saw an original on ebay, but quite pricy; think it was like 100 euro with shipping :oops:

I would like to try a 20" on the 2-10 (it's 16" currently) and maybe go up to 24" on the 610 (currently has a 20" hard nose). Not sure if I want to keep the 610 long term though.

I could send you 1 if ya like?

There is a seller on trade me that has old stock McCulloch sprocket nose bars there a laminated bar but still quite nice for 45 bucks
This bar 20200113_100043.jpg

The Echo bars are a straight bolt on for Mac and poulan, the stihl bars require an adapter, and of course the husqvarna bars are well noted with minor modifications.
Jethro can confirm that you should always be on the look out for the Windsor Speed Mac bars, they are just a really great bar , the tips are replaceable and ae being reproduced by some companies.
Syncop8r you'll probably be replacing the 610 with a Promac700 and not looking back ,or any of the 70cc Macs.

I just love those bars i need like really neeed a 28 then I have the full set

But yes very nice bars indeed.

Syncop8r you gotta find a 70 man honestly great saws

I could send you 1 if ya like?
I'm still hoping to get down to Canterbury before Winter, could meet up up somewhere and save you postage?

There is a seller on trade me that has old stock McCulloch sprocket nose bars there a laminated bar but still quite nice for 45 bucks
I can't see any?

The Loggers Shop up here sell Oregon bars, they're pretty expensive though. And the usual Husqvarna and Stihl shops nearby.

Syncop8r you gotta find a 70 man honestly great saws
Yeah one day. Lemme get my 10 Series fix first! :cool:

I'm still hoping to get down to Canterbury before Winter, could meet up up somewhere and save you postage?

I can't see any?

The Loggers Shop up here sell Oregon bars, they're pretty expensive though. And the usual Husqvarna and Stihl shops nearby.

Yeah one day. Lemme get my 10 Series fix first! :cool:

Yup come on down :)

I can't remember the guys handle on trade me but I have his email so if ya want 1 I can hit him up. He had quite a few like a dozen or so. They are actually more like the large frame mount n need a little modification to fit the 10 series.

Latest posts

Back